Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

new guy. 16" vs 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 11:15 AM
silky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy. 16" vs 17"

Hello everyone--first post. I have bought a 98 GS400 (my second GS) with the 16" OEMs. I like the 17" OEMs alot and intend to get them. However, my tire guy is warning me that my ride will suffer with the 17s and that I should stick to my 16s. I have mid life Michelin Pilot HXs that are very harsh and loud over any irregularity in the road. I would also like flatter cornering --a friends '01GS3 feels flatter in turns. So my questions are:
1. How will ride quality differ with the 17s?
2. Will 17s improve handling/cornering?
3. Are reproduction wheels ie. AAA online--OK or should I stick to factory wheels?

I've ordered Daizen sway bar bushings so flatter cornering is in my future one way or another I assume.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-05-03, 02:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the 17 will suffer a bit but not dramatic imho. i never tried riding in 16, but with my stock 17 the ride is still very good.

yes, the 17 has lower profil tires so it will help handling definitely, how much that's naother factor.

depends on whether you want factory look oem wheels or aftermarket though. if oem look, i would just get oem rims

and yes, the daizen sways will amazes you
Old 01-05-03, 07:57 PM
BlvdKing
Driver

Default Re: new guy. 16" vs 17"

You should not notice much difference in ride between the 16" and 17". but with cornering it depends on the tire a performance tire will give you getter handling due to stiffer side walls but may also give a little harsher ride.
Old 01-05-03, 11:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally posted by silky
Hello everyone--first post. I have bought a 98 GS400 (my second GS) with the 16" OEMs. I like the 17" OEMs alot and intend to get them. However, my tire guy is warning me that my ride will suffer with the 17s and that I should stick to my 16s. I have mid life Michelin Pilot HXs that are very harsh and loud over any irregularity in the road. I would also like flatter cornering --a friends '01GS3 feels flatter in turns. So my questions are:
3. Are reproduction wheels ie. AAA online--OK or should I stick to factory wheels?

I've ordered Daizen sway bar bushings so flatter cornering is in my future one way or another I assume.

Thanks for any feedback.
Silky,

I did exactly what you're looking to do... I had 16" wheels on my 98 GS400 for about 6 months before I put a set of OEM 17"s on them.

1) Ride is a little harsher, but not nearly so much to be uncomfortable. You will feel the road surface more and be more prone to trammelling (following grooves in the road). Also be aware that the 17" wheels will cause your GS to run through tires much more quickly, partially due to the tires you will likely run on them (more performance oriented). Most get about 15 - 17K out of their 17" tires on average, but some eat them at 10K.

2) Handling is very much improved. Cornering feels much tigher, road feel is improved. Simply more planted, with less roll and flex in the sidewall. Don't go cheap on your tires, get something like a Bridgestone S-03 or Toyo T1.

3) I replaced rims (spare) with a AAA rim and also used it on the car. Had absolutely no issue with them, great service. Could not tell the difference between the AAA and OEM wheels. If you can get them cheaper than a used quality set of factory wheels, do it.

Good luck!
D
Old 01-06-03, 03:26 AM
Gstt
Banned

plus, think of it this way,

WIDER=better traction.
u can go up to 245-255 on stock rear tires, much better than 225's.

yes, either go with Mich pilot sport, or PZero's or S-03's,
i have the pilot sport 245/45/17, really nice but i would do S0-3's next time, best tire money can buy
Old 01-08-03, 10:25 PM
silky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody. When I get my 17" ers with new tires--probably the Sumitomo HTR+--and then the sway bar bushings, I'll post a report on handling changes.
Old 01-09-03, 11:59 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for any feedback.
I went from stock 16" to 18" on my 98 GS4. Ride quailty wasn't nearly as compromised as I had imagined. With the 16s I felt like I was "flying low to the ground, but not actually on it" when on the highway. Now with the 18s. It feels like I'm on the road, but the ride is still VERY smooth. I too had pilot HXs on my 16s. I didn't think they were bad, but the yoko AVS dBs on the 18s are ATROCIOUS!!! Loudest damn tires I've ever heard!!! But I must admit the car, even on stock suspension, handles a LOT better. Corners feel much flatter. Car still leans a tad when pushing it, but tires don't feel like they're gonna give out like the 16s would. Hope this helps. Go with the bigger rims, you won't be sorry. Just get a QUALITY tire!!! I plan on replacing my dBs with Pilot Sport A/Ss when they wear out.
Old 01-10-03, 01:02 AM
jeffandi
Driver

Blanco,

Sorry about the tires The dB is supposed to signify low noise LOL. Glad to hear your happy with the wheels though.

Jeff
Old 01-10-03, 02:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Re: new guy. 16" vs 17"

Originally posted by Blanco

I went from stock 16" to 18" on my 98 GS4. Ride quailty wasn't nearly as compromised as I had imagined. With the 16s I felt like I was "flying low to the ground, but not actually on it" when on the highway. Now with the 18s. It feels like I'm on the road, but the ride is still VERY smooth. I too had pilot HXs on my 16s. I didn't think they were bad, but the yoko AVS dBs on the 18s are ATROCIOUS!!! Loudest damn tires I've ever heard!!! But I must admit the car, even on stock suspension, handles a LOT better. Corners feel much flatter. Car still leans a tad when pushing it, but tires don't feel like they're gonna give out like the 16s would. Hope this helps. Go with the bigger rims, you won't be sorry. Just get a QUALITY tire!!! I plan on replacing my dBs with Pilot Sport A/Ss when they wear out.
yeah i magine i had the yoko avs sport, that's like a plane flying over me
Old 01-10-03, 12:08 PM
silky
Driver School Candidate

The Tirerack surveys on the SumitomoHTR+ indicate that it is a very quiet and smooth tire--especially in a 17". My OEM 17s are on the way and I intend to try the Sumis--their cost is very reasonable.
Old 01-10-03, 10:15 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

The Tirerack surveys on the SumitomoHTR+ indicate that it is a very quiet and smooth tire--especially in a 17". My OEM 17s are on the way and I intend to try the Sumis--their cost is very reasonable.
For the cost I definitely think they're worth a shot. But I'm partial to Michelins. LOVE their Cross Terrains for my SUV!!! Tirerack rates the pilot sport a/s #1 in the ultra high performance all season.

Jeff,

The wheels are AWESOME!!! Thanks for pulling through for me!!
Old 01-10-03, 10:27 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

For the cost I definitely think they're worth a shot. But I'm partial to Michelins. LOVE their Cross Terrains for my SUV!!! Tirerack rates the pilot sport a/s #1 in the ultra high performance all season.

Jeff,

The wheels are AWESOME!!! Thanks for pulling through for me!!
Old 01-12-03, 05:31 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

How about the Yoko AVS ES100? Any good? They surveyed reasonably high. I don't have the rims yet but I was thinking OEM 17's for the S.F. potholes or AT Italia Rims in 18's if I am going forgot about the potholes.

Last edited by meanboy; 01-12-03 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-12-03, 06:55 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by meanboy
How about the Yoko AVS ES100? Any good? They surveyed reasonably high. I don't have the rims yet but I was thinking OEM 17's for the S.F. potholes or AT Italia Rims in 18's if I am going forgot about the potholes.
Well I've never been to S.F., but I can't imagine the potholes there being any worse than those here in Dallas. I was debating for the longest time about whether to go to 18's or 19's. I ended getting a great deal on some 18" AT Rivas. Other than the fact that I now desparately need to lower my car by way of L-tuned, I couldn't be happier. Well also, except for the Yoko dBs.

Personally, I like being different than every other stock wheeled GS4 out there. But to each his own. The looks and compliments I've gotten on the Rivas definitely tell me I made the right choice.

As far as the ES100s go. I don't anything about them. But I do know this. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks up front to get the good stuff and be happy. Than save a few and be dissatisfied for months and months.
Old 01-12-03, 07:53 PM
Gstt
Banned

My suggestion 2 u,

if u can afford it, get S-03's, best tire money can buy,
handling, ride, etc.....

Its all good,

TRUST!!!

Quick Reply: new guy. 16" vs 17"