Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Rotors for ls400 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 11:13 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraSam
MattieVSS, Please stop talking out of your ***..

Everything you just said is exactly the oposite of the truth.
Slotted and drilled rotors only have the holes and slots for heat disapation and looks...they have nothing to do with stopping power other than cooling the pads and rotors. I have slotted and drilled rotors along with wilwood calipers on my supra and it stops stronger and smoother than any OEM brakes I have seen. Also, "performance" brakes is such a genaric term. The only part of the braking system that wears quickly on "performance" brakes are pads, and that is only in some cases. Otherwise aftermarket brakes are designed for better durability and stopping power.

On my SC I am looking to go with some TT brakes or LS brakes with OEM rotors and pads. Being such a better system aftermarket pads and rotors aren't worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

actually you sound like an *** now bc hes not entirely wrong.

you are correct about the design of drilled and slotted rotors , it was designed for heat dissipation which in turn allows you to brake "more effectively". to much heat will not allow you to stop your car and this was the reason for drilled/slotted rotors. aftermarket performance pads are made from different materials that raises its ability to resist heat which in turn helps it perform under heavy circumstances. even though the braking power is superb your brake pad life will be cut in half bc performance pads tend to be softer than oe standards which is also another reason that it stops your car so well. when upgrading your braking power you should be looking at couple things but also establish what kind of situations you will be using the brakes for.

the braking power in a car is very simple.
1. a good rotor to dissipate heat quickly so that your pads wont overheat and fail
2. good aftermarket performance brake pads (have a high heat resistance but are super soft and wear quickly).
3. a good caliper that has multiple pistons to force the pads onto the rotor ( in this area the more the better depending on the size of your pad/rotor). most aftermarket calipers are 4 piston and this helps keep pushing pressure on the pad and helps keep wear even across the pad.

cons of slotted/drilled rotors

1. cheap ones crack and sometimes even name brand ones crack
2. if they make noise you are stuck with it
3. when it comes time to change your next set of pads you are pretty much screwed trying to find someone to surface your rotor for you so be ready to replace.
4. they are expensive compared to regular rotors

pros of s/d rotors

1. they look good
2. they work for extreme cases ( but in what situation will you use them to this extent)
3. dissipates heat which = better braking

for most street cars a regular rotor with upgraded pads and calipers will do but in the end its your car and your choice in which route to go
Old 06-11-12, 12:08 PM
Britt
Driver School Candidate

Cquence has some good rotors reasonably priced but I would stay away from the ones that are "dimpled". I bought them because I did not want drilled due to the cracking issue but I liked the agressive look of the dimpled ones. Problem now, it's like when you were a kid and put a popsicle stick in the spokes of your bicycle. Those dimples make this funny clicking noise even when the brake is not applied. It gets annoying. This is also with the LS400 BBK. I would just stick with slotted IMO.

Here is the link to them tho, they make them with and without the dimples. Still good quality
http://www.cquence.net/performance-series-brake-rotors/
Old 06-15-12, 07:21 PM
bajaracer1
Driver School Candidate

drilled rotors will have stress cracks from edge of rotor to outermost hole. slotted is OK and does not hurt performance.
you can order the entire ls400 upgrade kit for cheaper than parting it together at silver mine motors
it's selling for $420 right now.
http://silverminemotors.com/SC-300-4...-Front-kit.htm