Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will I have issues lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 10:10 PM
Lexist7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I have issues lowering?

I'm new here - this is my first post, and to be honest, the first time I've really surveyed the forums on this website. I WAS a member of myis.com until it quickly became clear that the unfamiliar (newbies) weren't truly welcome to post questions and or comments unless they were receptive to condescending, much of the time unhelpful replies. I'm really REALLY hoping that this website is not stricken with the same problem as it would be nice to be part of a community of people whom enjoy the is300's beauty and performance.........anyway, enough of acting like a friggin fairy - here's my question

I've got a 2002 lexus is300. I just bought a set of 18 inch bbs lm's for the car (f 8 wide and r 9.5 wide). f tires are 225/35/18, r are 255/40/18. f are 50 offset, r are 55 offset. can I lower the car without having to make fender mods - if not, then should I acquire a fender roller or just opt for the good old aluminum bat? If so, then what springs would you recommend? I'm considering either the eibach pro kit or the hotchkis springs and sway bar package. What do you think?
Old 08-01-08, 01:54 PM
Lexist7
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few pics of the set-up......anybody got any advice on a safe drop? All the specs I can think of are listed.
Attached Thumbnails Will I have issues lowering?-is300-evolution-1-015.jpg  
Old 08-01-08, 02:07 PM
Lexist7
Driver School Candidate

another pic....this damn site will only let me load up one pic at a time??? Anyway..........
Attached Thumbnails Will I have issues lowering?-is300-evolution-1-012.jpg  
Old 08-07-08, 01:22 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your other post bro, I laid it out for you. I would've done the same thing on my.is but didn't see your post.
Old 08-08-08, 12:25 AM
Joe$
Rookie

a realy good way to check and see if you'll need to make feder mods is to check the clearance. if you havent had porblems with them yet i would guess your not going to but check it any way. basicly what you need to do is take a good jack and at least 1 tire block(for safty) i prefer hydrolic but you can use the sissor jack. start at the front left or right and lift the car as high as saftly possible. then if you started on the left front walk around to the rear right. check the clearance if its not tucking under the fender and you cant raise it any more you'll need the help of a large friend. have friend place weight over the right rear and then check for cleareance if there is no tire to fender contact then you'll be fine to lower you car. btw where did you buy you rims.

nice ggp btw
here what mine looks like with the tanabe df210's 18x7.5+48 225/40/18

Last edited by Joe$; 08-08-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-12-08, 06:25 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

yup, you will need fender mods if you're planning on lowering the car
your wheel offset appears too high
w/ 8-8.5" wheels, typically offsets have been around 45-48
9.5" +55 wheel - you'll definitely have problems tucking those big guys in w/ major mods
btw - nice wheels..!
Old 08-12-08, 10:52 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taken from his other thread.

Originally Posted by SQuester
http://my.is/forums/f95/guide-wheel-...i-need-304659/

Quote:
These limits are the practical extremes with good alignments. You can buy more fender room with camber or rolling or pulling. In front, you can buy more room with shorter overall tire diameter (<25") The closer you get to these limits, the more likely you will need to stretch a tire to fit the fender side. Drop does not determine what size wheels fit. Put too aggressive a wheel, and one day, you WILL bend your fender when you take the wrong turn with a good bump if you exceed these limits.

Measuring in mm from the face of the hub:
Front fender limit: +65mm
Comments:
| +65 | Stretch tire and/or roll fender. Need fender liner mod. Do not exceed tire diameter of 25"
| +55 | Fender liner mod if going for a wide or tall tire. Do not exceed tire diameter of 25.2"
Front inner suspension upright limit: -155mm
Comments:
Need spacer if this number is exceeded. If close, do not use lip weights on wheels

Rear fender limit: +68mm
Rear fender limit w/ shaved lip: +75
Comments:
Need to stretch tire to a certain degree if very close to these numbers
Rear inner suspension coil lmit: >-190mm
Comments:
Untested, but can probably even exceed -200mm. Watch the brake line.

Equations to figure out wheel lip placement relative to limits:

Outer lip: (Wheel Width * 25.4) / 2 - Wheel Offset
Inner lip: (Wheel Width * 25.4) / 2 + Wheel Offset
Your wheels:
18x8(+50mm) 51.6mm to the fenders, and 151.6mm to the front suspension upright.
18x9.5(+55mm) 65.65mm to the fenders, and 175.65mm to the rear suspension.

You should be good to go. I'd get a nice set of coilovers though, so you can put your ride height where ever you want.

He'll clear without shaving/rolling the fenders. Once lowered, if he wants to correct the excessive camber, Fig's rear lower control arms bring in the bottoms of the tires. So there's no problem with the tire/rim to fender clearance.

The front Cusco upper control arms however, will push the tops of the tire outward to correct camber. Depending on how low he goes, this may be a problem.
Old 08-16-08, 01:58 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

yea.. i really like those BBS wheels... forged all the way.
Old 08-19-08, 12:09 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexist7
I'm new here - this is my first post, and to be honest, the first time I've really surveyed the forums on this website. I WAS a member of myis.com until it quickly became clear that the unfamiliar (newbies) weren't truly welcome to post questions and or comments unless they were receptive to condescending, much of the time unhelpful replies. I'm really REALLY hoping that this website is not stricken with the same problem as it would be nice to be part of a community of people whom enjoy the is300's beauty and performance.........anyway, enough of acting like a friggin fairy - here's my question

I've got a 2002 lexus is300. I just bought a set of 18 inch bbs lm's for the car (f 8 wide and r 9.5 wide). f tires are 225/35/18, r are 255/40/18. f are 50 offset, r are 55 offset. can I lower the car without having to make fender mods - if not, then should I acquire a fender roller or just opt for the good old aluminum bat? If so, then what springs would you recommend? I'm considering either the eibach pro kit or the hotchkis springs and sway bar package. What do you think?

you should be fine with those offsets..the key is really how much do you want to drop... i mean how far....typical drops from springs & shocks are 1.5-2 + inches.... i would suggest 1.5 maybe 2 inches max to avoid alignment issues etc and for the best handling improvement.

& I would really just roll them with the GhettoFender bat... i swear even tho it sounds ghetto as all hell it works PERFECTLY well with a little trick or two:

1. use heat... . use a hair drier or better yet, a heat gun to heat the lip you are rolling nicely you want it very hot, Hot to touch....( helps the metal give & the paint flex & not chip)

2. use a wood bat Vs Alloy...IF no choice but Alloy..Wrap it in BLue painters masking tape...

3. WHen rolling, start from behind the tire & wedge the end of the bat up between the shoulder of the tire & the fender lip... it should roll backward as someone drives the car slowly forward & the tire pulls the bat forward & up under the fender...

Make sure to keep pressure on the bat & keep it "straight" as it rolls up.
Use the fat end under fender to flatten the lip up against the inside of the fender well & if possible or needed, push the end of the bat down towards the ground or center line of the wheel as it is rolling to leverage the fat end of the bat up against the inside of the fender well...this will flatten out the lip and pull the fender out a bit ...

that is all there is to it... you can Wrap the bat in Blue painters tape for a bit of extra protection but the heat is the key, and a steady foot driving the car slowly forward as needed when rolling....

I have rolled MANY cars this way & never had a problem fronts rears, no matter....

you should roll the fendersa a little bit just to move the inner lip edge up away from the side wall... the peace of mind will be worth while...

Congrats on a scoring such a Sweet setup on wheels & tires... you can stuff a BIG *** tire out back with a 55 offset....!!
i am running a 18x9x46 offset Volk Evolution4 forged wheel out back & i am rolling a 275-35-18 Kumho out back with heavily rolled & shaved fender lips...

if i had yer offset & a 10 in rim i could run a 305 i bet

you can run a 265-275 easy on that rim with that offset just roll the fender lips & rock on