LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!! - Page 8 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in having LS400 brakes on your 2nd Gen GS?
Yes, because it would be cheaper!!
5
55.56%
Yes, because I like the way LS400 brakes look.
2
22.22%
No, I still like Supra TT brakes better.
2
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-04-07, 08:23 PM
  #106  
Nosexnolex
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

when doing this swap, supra brakes or ls400, do you guy change MBC (master brake cylinder)? what about the brake balance front to rear? do u also install brake balancer?

p.s. supra tt brakes were made by sumitomo. its a company that makes brakes for race cars and race bikes. this is why the only car to beat the supra from 70-0 is a carrera gtJ guess whom work on it's brakes? supra brakes are way ahead of the ls400 no question about it.
Nosexnolex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 08:39 PM
  #107  
FinLIFE
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,304
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

^ I dont know about that one, were the ls400 brakes ever tested? They are also 4 piston and lighter...Im going with those because of those two reasons and that they also look nicer than the supra ones.
FinLIFE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 08:39 PM
  #108  
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

No one changes the MC because we have no other options other than OEM. Our ABS unit and MC is integrated as one piece, and the OEM setup is $1800.
GSteg is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 08:41 PM
  #109  
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GS4_CS View Post
^ I dont know about that one, were the ls400 brakes ever tested? They are also 4 piston and lighter...Im going with those because of those two reasons and that they also look nicer than the supra ones.
There are a good amount of GS and SC guys who have done the swap with success. The LS400 weighs about 200lbs more than our cars so if anything, the LS400 setup is an improvement over the OEM setup in terms of brake response. The Supra's maint advantage is the larger rotors (12.7" vs 12.4"). The difference between the LS400 and the Supra is not David vs. Goliath.
GSteg is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 05:09 AM
  #110  
Nosexnolex
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
There are a good amount of GS and SC guys who have done the swap with success. The LS400 weighs about 200lbs more than our cars so if anything, the LS400 setup is an improvement over the OEM setup in terms of brake response. The Supra's maint advantage is the larger rotors (12.7" vs 12.4"). The difference between the LS400 and the Supra is not David vs. Goliath.
All I can tell you is that I have done some repeated stops from 180 MPH+ in my supra and didnít experience fade at all. I did get the discs to glow nice and red I did upgrade the pad the rotor and switched to a better brake fluid.

I had an LS430 but never did try to stop the car from such speeds, so I cant say anything about the LS brakes.
Nosexnolex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:46 AM
  #111  
aliga
Sponsor
iTrader: (147)
 
aliga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 10,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nosexnolex View Post
All I can tell you is that I have done some repeated stops from 180 MPH+ in my supra and didnít experience fade at all. I did get the discs to glow nice and red I did upgrade the pad the rotor and switched to a better brake fluid.

I had an LS430 but never did try to stop the car from such speeds, so I cant say anything about the LS brakes.
so why did you say the supras are way ahead of the ls brakes?
__________________
Email me: if you need used cars, used parts, or rebuildable vehicles. I will beat the competition's price.

Authorized CL Vendor
Paypal: gazi_[email protected] underscore("_") between gazi and ali
Buy with confidence, check my feedback: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119137
aliga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:04 AM
  #112  
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

LS400 CALIPERS ARE THE SHIZNUTS!!! i have them on my 1st Gen GS300 TOOO~~
BKzSC400 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:09 AM
  #113  
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
GS3.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Aren't the LS400 brakes a newer design compared to the Supra brakes? I believe they are larger, but at the same time lighter too. I dunno, i might be wrong.
GS3.0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 12:26 PM
  #114  
aliga
Sponsor
iTrader: (147)
 
aliga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 10,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GS3.0 View Post
Aren't the LS400 brakes a newer design compared to the Supra brakes? I believe they are larger, but at the same time lighter too. I dunno, i might be wrong.
they are newer, and lighter
__________________
Email me: if you need used cars, used parts, or rebuildable vehicles. I will beat the competition's price.

Authorized CL Vendor
Paypal: gazi_[email protected] underscore("_") between gazi and ali
Buy with confidence, check my feedback: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119137
aliga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 03:47 PM
  #115  
FinLIFE
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,304
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I just ordered my calipers today..what do you guys use for rotors/pads? Im also thinking of upgrading to ss brake lines.
FinLIFE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:33 PM
  #116  
exquisit
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: cal
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

did anyone do a piston area calculation? isnt that the main reason why people upgrade?
this also ties into brake balance as if the piston area is larger/smaller then the balance to the rea will be thrown off
exquisit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:41 PM
  #117  
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

No one calculated piston area yet. I can if you like, but it would serve almost no use for us. Without knowing the master cylinder line pressure, we just have to go by what feels good . Brake bias will be off, but I doubt it will be off that much. Even the aftermarket BBK setups were designed around the OEM master cylinder and they are one step ahead of the LS400 setup. If anything, the LS400 fills in the blank between OEM and aftermarket BBK. TRD offers a BBK (supra) setup for our cars and I have no doubt that the piston area of the Supra calipers is more than the LS400's.
GSteg is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:44 PM
  #118  
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GS4_CS View Post
I just ordered my calipers today..what do you guys use for rotors/pads? Im also thinking of upgrading to ss brake lines.
I'm going to go with brembo blanks and Akebono ProACT pads. I dont need a very aggressive bite that the axxis ultimate offers, and I certainly do not want the brake dust that comes along with it .

You might want to look into our new Brake vendor if you want something more aggressive.. I think he's selling some cryno'ed rotors (x-drilled and slotted) with Hawks pads for $299. Not sure if he has them for the LS400 though.
GSteg is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:03 PM
  #119  
Nosexnolex
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
I'm going to go with brembo blanks and Akebono ProACT pads. I dont need a very aggressive bite that the axxis ultimate offers, and I certainly do not want the brake dust that comes along with it .

You might want to look into our new Brake vendor if you want something more aggressive.. I think he's selling some cryno'ed rotors (x-drilled and slotted) with Hawks pads for $299. Not sure if he has them for the LS400 though.
Do not buy drilled rotor since they will crack. I know from experience, if anything buy slotted, I used powerslot. You can buy the drilled rotor only if it was casted that way, not drilled after casting process. In addition, I used hawk before but went back to OEM pads since they provided better initial bite. Fade was a lot more with OEM so I got SS lines and went back to aftermarket pad, got every bit of air out of the system. .. Bite is so good that I am able to lock them up at 110MPH!

P.S. I'm using Motul Brake Fluid.
Nosexnolex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:29 PM
  #120  
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

You are very correct on that! Cheap cross drilled will crack under high heat. But there are companies out there like brembo who offers cross-drilled rotors that are reliable. I never like cross-drilled on small rotors anyways. Looks weird to me.
GSteg is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: