Lexus won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 08:56 AM
Johnny62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus won't start

Hi team,

First off, apologies if I'm asking in the wrong forum. I drive a 2007 IS 250 AWD. I love it! Unfortunately, just recently, it refuses to turn over. I've read the forums on this, but haven't seem to find specifically what i'm looking for.

Symptoms:
  • Lights work, stereo works, keyfob works
  • Pushing start I think i can hear the fuel pump engage
  • Instrumental panel "POSTS", all the gauges work, swipe clockwise and then counterclockwise (hard to describe)
  • No dashboard engine warning lights, computer does not report anything anomolous (edit: pertinent to the engine, there is an airbag alert)
  • Battery works fine (I've pulled it and started my truck with it)
  • Fuses all good, relay is replaced
  • Cannot hear starter solenoid engage or starter motor spinning (hence I think it's the starter)

This weekend I'm going to jack it up and try to replace the starter (I've got a modicum of mechanical ability)

Hoping somebody has a trick or has been through this before, any insight anyone can give?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny62; 06-24-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 09:48 AM
4mula_J87
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have voltmeter... if so test the connection to see if it’s getting 12v. I recently had that problem but it came out as being the engine was flooded. Given that I got starter replaced a year ago. I would say tap it also, for me it was easier for me by removing the driver wheel and the wheel well. Because it sits in a weird spot on the drivers side of the engine under the manifold. But I got a 06 IS250.
Old 06-24-19, 09:55 AM
Johnny62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4mula_J87
Do you have voltmeter... if so test the connection to see if it’s getting 12v. I recently had that problem but it came out as being the engine was flooded. Given that I got starter replaced a year ago. I would say tap it also, for me it was easier for me by removing the driver wheel and the wheel well. Because it sits in a weird spot on the drivers side of the engine under the manifold. But I got a 06 IS250.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll try the tap trick. I don't believe I can reach it without pulling off the exhaust manifold, which will result in me replacing the gaskets, shaving them off. I'm honestly fearing replacing the starter without doing a full engine rebuild (sic).

I've been doing some reading, I'll try to jump the starter from the relay. If nothing spins, it's definitely the starter. Little concerned about setting off my immobilizer though.

Where did you take your car for the starter replacement?

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-19, 10:44 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

If you have a cheap OBDII scanner. See if there is communication to the ECU. If you have none it will probably a bad fuel pressure sensor. Its located underneath the throttle body area. Do a search on Fuel Pressure sensor for the 2nd gen IS. You can first try to disconnect it, and see if it cranks.
Old 06-24-19, 10:49 AM
Johnny62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
If you have a cheap OBDII scanner. See if there is communication to the ECU. If you have none it will probably a bad fuel pressure sensor. Its located underneath the throttle body area. Do a search on Fuel Pressure sensor for the 2nd gen IS. You can first try to disconnect it, and see if it cranks.
I do have one. The reason why I *think* it's mechanical is because nothing registers as an error code. Thanks for your help!

If you don't mind a simpleton question, if there isn't an error code being registered, how else would I diagnose bad communication to the ECU?

(edit) I'll be damned, there is a recall that matches my car for a fuel pressure sensor!

Thanks again!
John
Old 06-24-19, 10:53 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

The obd reader should just display "no communication"
There is also pending codes that won't set a Celll until the failure triggers it.
Old 06-24-19, 11:28 AM
4mula_J87
Intermediate

I replaced my own... I got scars to prove it. The starter was easier coming from the driver wheel well. It didn’t mess up my immobilizer at all. Go with the Denso starter like I did
Old 06-24-19, 11:57 AM
Johnny62
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my own... I got scars to prove it. The starter was easier coming from the driver wheel well. It didn’t mess up my immobilizer at all. Go with the Denso starter like I did
Miracle of miracles, I let the battery run completely dead (it has been sitting for a few months), jump started it with my truck, spun right up. Interestingly, the alarm started to go off as soon as power hit the battery.

Consequently, it is NOT the starter.

I don't trust it to take it downtown, still going to do "due diligence" and work through it all.

thanks guys for helping!
Old 06-24-19, 12:24 PM
4mula_J87
Intermediate

Good... if you look at some of my old posts you can see how blown I was trying to get it started. Was it a rough start?
Old 06-24-19, 09:18 PM
Johnny62
Driver School Candidate

Good... if you look at some of my old posts you can see how blown I was trying to get it started. Was it a rough start?
No, fired right up. I'm thinking about buying a techstream 2 day subscription, as my generic scanner may not have picked up the code. Thoughts? Worth it?

Thanks again, truly appreciate it.

John
Old 06-24-19, 11:50 PM
Wombat58
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been experiencing most of the same symptoms. No response by start button when foot is on the brake. All electrical systems dead. Security, radio, clock, dash all dead. I jumped it yesterday and it started right up. Turns out the ground is loose, corroded or damaged somewhere. Test by hooking up the single side of jumper cable to negative terminal and the engine block. Use a good wire gauge set.
Old 06-25-19, 01:02 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Did you ever test you're starter relay.