Electrical problem and troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 02:32 PM
datman34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical problem and troubleshooting

Hi and thank you for reading this.
I have a 2006 SC430. Love love love my car. But I am having some strange issues and have no idea where to look.
A year ago my alternator went out while I was driving. Under warranty so it was replaced. Now I have issues with things in the car. These issues come and go. A list below are the common ones.

1) Horn no longer works. But after a week or 2 starts working again.
2) Steering wheel controls for radio wont change stations but can increase or decrease volume. Or volume wont work but can change stations.
3) Cigarette lighter stops working. Then a few weeks later starts.
4) High beams no longer work. (Has not come back)
5) Passenger side low beam will stop working. Turning of lights then back on and they work again.
6) Radio quality drops to horrible levels. But next time in the car it is fine.
7) Seat memory stopped working.
8) Top and windows move real slow. But next time move normal.

I suspect it is something that happened when the alternator when out. And some of the issues may be in the motors of the component. I've looked at fuses. Battery. And other things. I'm at my wits end. I would hate to sell the car because I can't get lights to work or some other safety issue.

Oh I do know that when the alternator went out, that some of my fuses did get blown. Or had burn marks in them.

Thanks for reading. And thanks for any help you can provide.
The following users liked this post:
reload106 (04-16-20)
Old 03-20-18, 02:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Sounds like a bad ground. There are several grounding points in our cars. Read this: http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comu...agnosevoltdrop
Old 03-20-18, 02:41 PM
datman34
Driver School Candidate

Oh thanks. I'll look into it now.
Old 03-20-18, 02:41 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

You should also read through this thread....I posted grounding points for the 02, 06 May be the same. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ntry-help.html
Old 03-20-18, 04:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds more like my problem which I never got solved. Luckily it hasn't happened again . https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/754822-sc430-electrical-issues.html
Old 03-20-18, 05:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by datman34
Hi and thank you for reading this.
I have a 2006 SC430. Love love love my car. But I am having some strange issues and have no idea where to look.
A year ago my alternator went out while I was driving. Under warranty so it was replaced. Now I have issues with things in the car. These issues come and go. A list below are the common ones.

1) Horn no longer works. But after a week or 2 starts working again.
2) Steering wheel controls for radio wont change stations but can increase or decrease volume. Or volume wont work but can change stations.
3) Cigarette lighter stops working. Then a few weeks later starts.
4) High beams no longer work. (Has not come back)
5) Passenger side low beam will stop working. Turning of lights then back on and they work again.
7) Seat memory stopped working.
8) Top and windows move real slow. But next time move normal.

I suspect it is something that happened when the alternator when out. And some of the issues may be in the motors of the component. I've looked at fuses. Battery. And other things. I'm at my wits end. I would hate to sell the car because I can't get lights to work or some other safety issue.

Oh I do know that when the alternator went out, that some of my fuses did get blown. Or had burn marks in them.

Thanks for reading. And thanks for any help you can provide.
do most of the problems seem to happen at the same time?
just guessing here but blowing and causing burn marks on fuses can be really bad for the computers in the car.
to me it doesn’t sound like the motors because the problem sounds linear to several motors.

it sounds like a low voltage or low current situation...other than the battery cable is there a common circuit supplying power to all of these components?

i think the seat memory will start working again after you do the alignment procedure.

tell me this, do the seats beep when they are being reversed or going toward the backseat? If so, you just need to do the seat alignment.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-20-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 05:41 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

I wonder if it is a set of problems?

The Horn & Radio Controls & the volume lowering could all be tied to a bad clockspring, which is a pretty common problem.

I would also say the headlight switch is suspect for the high beam low beam problem, but thinking about it further, it could just be you need new headlight bulbs.

The seats could just need to be programmed, since the battery was disconnected.

I guess if I were you I would program my seats. It is free to do, easy and will take one thing off your list if it works.

Then I would change your passenger side headlight. That will take a little money and some time, but it will help you determine if it is a global problem or just a collection of smaller problems
Old 03-20-18, 05:43 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Read this post to program your seats calibrate your seats so they can be programmed https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-working.html
Old 03-20-18, 06:55 PM
datman34
Driver School Candidate

Well the lid beam comes and goes I think that buld is fine high beams nay be blown. As for the seats yes they beep. Calibrate? Hmmm I'll see about that. Water? That could be I live in Florida on the gulf coast rains a lot. And there are mornings when the insides of my windows are wet from condensation
Old 03-20-18, 07:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Well the lid beam comes and goes I think that buld is fine high beams nay be blown. As for the seats yes they beep. Calibrate? Hmmm I'll see about that. Water? That could be I live in Florida on the gulf coast rains a lot. And there are mornings when the insides of my windows are wet from condensation
seat alignment procedure for 2006+ models.

Compliments of JohnnyCake who posted this in the thread DashingDarry posted...gotta give those credits! ;-)
1. Move the seat forward until you hear a beep.
2. Move the seat all the way back.
3. Move the seatback angle switch forward until you hear a beep
4. Move the seat back angle switch all the way reclined.
5. Set the memory now.
NOTE: each seat must be aligned
Old 03-20-18, 07:22 PM
datman34
Driver School Candidate

I tried to reset the drivers seat first Note no beep when all the way forward. Set memory. Memory didn't take so went to it again Now it doesnt beep when going backwards ugh.
Old 03-20-18, 07:34 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to reset the drivers seat first Note no beep when all the way forward. Set memory. Memory didn't take so went to it again Now it doesnt beep when going backwards ugh.
Did you try the other seat?
or
go disconnect the battery again...wait one minute and reconnect...it should work.

Old 03-20-18, 07:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

i am assuming you mean the audio level is low and you cannot turn it louder using the radio volume **** or the steering wheel volume control.