SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Certified Put Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 01:19 PM
eliotd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Certified Put Off

service manager called wife to say they are waiting for interior guy to come to fix the trunk luggage screen which was falling apart. troubling was the next comment which was the used car guys complaining that it is cosmetic, but service manager told them this is a lexus not a toyota! This may be the beginning of a problem. Has anyone had CPO issues they had to escalate and what was your experience? Are there Any suggestions on who to start with and what to say? my wife called back an left a message saying this was a CPO and according to website is suppose to be reconditioned to like new. I am thinking I may need to have it checked out at a different Lexus dealer not owned by the same company! After all....the CPO checklist shows that the SPARE TIRE is properly inflated, good tread and condition although there is no spare...tool kit is complete yet flashlight missing (not big deal until questioning what else is wrong on cpo checklist). Maybe I need demand Lexus to Bring in their own master mechanic to completely go over the 161 points and a detailer to properly recondition the car to the exacting standards of Lexus as they promise and advertise. I am sure I will need to go through the BS with dealership chain of command first, but when you shell out 35k in cash and trade for a 6 yr old car, you should expect the excellence of the pursuit! Sorry for lengthy post! (paperback edition out soon!)

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-10-12, 01:25 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues with mine, so I can only lend you morale support and wish you well!
Old 09-10-12, 06:31 PM
eliotd
Rookie

good to know, thanks!

Old 09-10-12, 08:40 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Try another Lexus dealer if any within reach.
Old 09-11-12, 02:07 PM
eliotd
Rookie

said they fixed everything but small bubble on rear deck, advised to leave it alone at this time as repair may make it worse! We shall see if they did but wife told them to document it in case it gets worse! I am thinking the whole rear deck will need to be replaced and is very expensive and time consuming!

Old 09-11-12, 02:55 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eliotd
said they fixed everything but small bubble on rear deck, advised to leave it alone at this time as repair may make it worse! We shall see if they did but wife told them to document it in case it gets worse! I am thinking the whole rear deck will need to be replaced and is very expensive and time consuming!

Others have had the same problem and fixed it with a thin needle. I believe they simply popped the bubble and the pleather went back to normal.
Old 09-11-12, 03:11 PM
lunaC42
Driver

sorry to hear they are giving you a hard time! i just don't get that from my dealership...they are fantastic! not up to Lexus standards, for sure. do try another dealer, and take it up the "food chain" if necesarry.
Old 09-11-12, 04:27 PM
eliotd
Rookie

well, service states cosmetic defect for crooked molding on passenger door. Nothing done! my argument is there should not be any cosmetic defects on a Lexus certified pre owned and need to fix it.

Old 09-11-12, 06:50 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by eliotd
well, service states cosmetic defect for crooked molding on passenger door. Nothing done! my argument is there should not be any cosmetic defects on a Lexus certified pre owned and need to fix it.

I took a quick look at their site and don't think you'll have much luck. They don't say that a CPO car must be 100% free of cosmetic defects, just that it must pass their 161 point checklist. Looking at their checklist, the interior molding is not one of the points. Under the warranty section, they specifically exclude the interior molding. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's why you've hit a brick wall.
Old 09-11-12, 07:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I find my Dealer is more likely to say No to anything I ask. I have bought 3 cars from them and the service advisors are very Arrogant. I look at my service records on line to be sure that the records are kept up to date when I have service done. Last service they wrote " default "instead of state inspection and emissions. I called them and the claimed that they do not know how to update on line records. I told them its automatically done when they fill out there service records on there computer. I had to call corporate. I wish I had a better relationship with the service dept but I dont.They forget I am the customer!!!

Last edited by mrblister; 09-12-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 07:46 PM
eliotd
Rookie

I still would like to know why the checklist shows that the spare tire is in good condition and it has proper tread left. There is no spare tire. they claim like new condition but a cosmetic defect is not like new! I don't think I would have this problem even at Toyota but this is supposed to be a Lexus!!!

Old 09-11-12, 08:12 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

It's obvious someone make a mistake on the spare filling out a form. I wouldn't give a simple mistake so much weight. The CPO warranty says like new...not brand new... It is a used car with a warranty that is going to protect you over the next few years. If it is mechanically sound I would suggest enjoy the ride and rather than nit picking minor cosmetic flaws.
Old 09-11-12, 10:10 PM
Yes

The SC430 was sold new without a spare. They used runflat tires to save trunk space. That's why they checked it off. They probably should have crossed it out and written in N/A.

As for it being "like-new," the term is subjective. When buying a car, you have to use the seller's definition when one is provided. In the case of Lexus, it is this:

"Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles must be in like-new condition. That means using only certified Lexus parts for any necessary mechanical repairs, performing paint and surface restorations to meet Lexus standards, and thoroughly cleaning and detailing each vehicle to bring out its true beauty."

It doesn't say it has to be in perfect cosmetic condition or that it has to be identical to a new car. That's probably an unrealistic expectation, as no car maker certifies their cars with such a claim.
Old 09-12-12, 06:23 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

+1 ^ nicely said!
Old 09-12-12, 07:54 AM
ALBINO
Rookie

Where in Florida are you? Lexus of Orlando is very fair. They have helped me with a few requests that were not covered on the warranty.

Last edited by ALBINO; 09-12-12 at 07:55 AM. Reason: removing quote

Quick Reply: Lexus Certified Put Off