SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Certified Put Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 12:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

eliotd - I am sorry for your issues. I think you likely did everything the typical car buyer does to get it right in the transaction.

Used Car Buyer Tips

1. Buyer only has leverage before money changes hands - ignore this rule and you are screwed.
2. Before taking delivery and paying in full for the car insist that dealer details the car and puts it inside in the lights so you can inspect it. Meticulously inspect the car you are paying big $$$ for and insist that any defects you find be corrected BEFORE the sale and payment is completed.
3. All agreements and promises specific to the car MUST be put in writing ON THE CONTRACT before the sale is complete.
4. Verbal commitments and assurances are worthless.

Here is how it works - the dealer is counting on a buyer who is too shy to insist on the above, counting on a buyer who doesn't want to be a PITA, counting on a buyer who is too impatient and wants the car now, counting on a buyer who does not want to put in the significant extra time and effort to do a precision deal before they hand over big $$$ so they don't get hosed.

Bottom line law of physics of used car buying - A motivated seller will jump through hoops to make a sale complete - but only if the seller forces them to do so. Believing in verbal promises and assurances that things will be corrected after the transaction or not wanting to take the time to perform a detailed inspection and force correction is not going to produce a happy result (except for the seller).
Old 09-13-12, 03:14 PM
eliotd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, so very true...so if anyone wants to buy a $25000 car with $15000 worth of empty promises.... I mean certification and reconditioning for $40,000, let me know! so if you are looking to purchase a CPO, take the time and check it METICULOUSLY since they don't, and make sure it is all up to satisfaction before you take it!
the only thing that was good was our salesman and he did not pressure us and kept trying to find what she wanted rather than pushing what he had in stock. He was concerned in her buying what she would be happy in and made for a great experience. Two other salespeople didn't even bother to call us back when they got what we were looking for, and his attention and follow up was the only reason we purchased from this dealership! Love the car, hate getting taken for all that money!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-13-12, 03:35 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eliotd
True, so very true...so if anyone wants to buy a $25000 car with $15000 worth of empty promises.... I mean certification and reconditioning for $40,000, let me know! so if you are looking to purchase a CPO, take the time and check it METICULOUSLY since they don't, and make sure it is all up to satisfaction before you take it!
the only thing that was good was our salesman and he did not pressure us and kept trying to find what she wanted rather than pushing what he had in stock. He was concerned in her buying what she would be happy in and made for a great experience. Two other salespeople didn't even bother to call us back when they got what we were looking for, and his attention and follow up was the only reason we purchased from this dealership! Love the car, hate getting taken for all that money!

Seriously man, let it go. It seems you are searching for things wrong. If you seriously think that everything costs upwards of 40 grand, this car is not for you. Maybe a new solara would be your cup of tea. I'm sorry, but it's people like this that give car companies a bad name because they try to get them to fulfill unrealistic benefits that the customer doesn't deserve. You knew what you bought when you bought it.
Old 09-13-12, 04:06 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Wait a sec...how much did you pay for the 03? Did you do any due diligence?
Old 09-13-12, 06:20 PM
eliotd
Rookie

I Purchased a 2006, it had 50,700 miles, and was a Lexus Certified Pre Owned. I traded in 2 cars for 7 Grand and financed 31,000 more. that was out the door with interior protection, dent and scratch repair and the tire protection plan for the runflats and prepaid for 3 year oil change service. I was ok with the price as it was A CPO and thought I was better protected with the CPO in getting a well inspected and reconditioneid vehicle, plus the 3 year warranty that comes with it! that included the tax, tags, dealer fee and everything else... so actually the price of the car was around 33,500. again it was a 2006!

Old 09-13-12, 08:07 PM
VVTiBob

Sorry your public profile says you have an 2003 SC430. So to be clear you spent $38K out the door for a 06 with a three year CPO warranty, and some prepaid maintenance.
Old 09-13-12, 09:01 PM
eliotd
Rookie

Originally Posted by husker741
Quote:

Seriously man, let it go. It seems you are searching for things wrong. If you seriously think that everything costs upwards of 40 grand, this car is not for you. Maybe a new solara would be your cup of tea. I'm sorry, but it's people like this that give car companies a bad name because they try to get them to fulfill unrealistic benefits that the customer doesn't deserve. You knew what you bought when you bought it.
more accurately, it was actually $38,000 and only looking for what Lexus represents its cpo to be. Otherwise I could have bought one for $25000. If I had seen the checklist before I bought the car, I would have questioned the legitimacy of it! I probably should have just gotten into an argument with the wife rather than take the car the way it was delivered but she wrongly said they would take care of it later. And part of the problem is Toyota burned us on our 2004 solara with a know material defect that they refused to take responsibility! I am not looking for things wrong, you can just see that they are obviously wrong and Yes, since the problems looked at were not corrected when they called to say the car was ready, I should have refused delivery until it was made right! My complaint is that I did not get what was represented and I want it fixed properly and I am not being unreasonable or expecting anything that I don't deserve. I guess if the roof leaks in your house, it's ok since it's used, even if you had a warranty saying it's been checked and is like new! you wouldn't expect them to go up and fix it because it's not what you deserve since and would give the roofer a bad name! After all, you paid for it before you discovered it leaked and you can't expect it to be a new roof! Really! My roof had a leak 7 years after it was installed with a warranty, the company came out and fixed it right away, no excuses, no hassle, it wasn't right and they took care of it! How is this different?

Old 09-13-12, 10:20 PM
VVTiBob

Not much else to say other than it's time for you to decide what, if any, steps you are going to take next. We've all heard your side. Too bad we'll never get to hear the other side. You've made some serious accusations, i.e. fraud and suggested it's even criminal fraud.
You've blamed everyone for this "deal" and that now includes your wife. "....but she wrongly said they would take care of it later." Really? Even your wife? Wow. I think the only person you haven't blamed besides your "salesman" is former President Bush. Ya know he's probably partially to blame too. Our current President and his cronies blame him all the time....but I digress.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-14-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 10:26 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Not much else to say other than it's time for you to decide what, if any, steps you are going to take next. We've all heard your side. Too bad we'll never get to hear the other side. You've make some serious accusations, i.e. fraud and suggested it's even criminal fraud.
You've blamed everyone for this "deal" and that now includes your wife. "....but she wrongly said they would take care of it later." Really? Even your wife? Wow. I think the only person you haven't blamed besides your "salesman" is former President Bush. Ya know he's probably partially to blame too. Our current President and his cronies blame him all the time....but I digress.
Old 09-13-12, 10:29 PM
husker741
Pole Position

There are known issues with this car, but they are still minute compared to any other auto maker and their cars. A house is much different than a car roof. Maybe it's not even your roof. Some people have found air leaks in the door. If they tried to fix it for you and it came back, then you can either live with it or get rid of the car. I'm sorry, but I think you are not going to win this one with Lexus. A house roof can be fixed with sealants. You bought a convertible that should be enjoyed as a convertible. Put the top down and poof! The leak is gone.
Old 09-14-12, 07:26 AM
JPBJR
Rookie

I am not a Moderator but I think it is time for this thread to end! Good luck.
Old 09-14-12, 08:54 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bottom line is you probably paid too much, even for a CPO. Looking at Kelly Blue Book, a 2006 CPO with that milage should have run about $33,000.

The problem with Lexus (and all dealerships) is that they are independently owned. You can complain to corporate, but at the end of the day, all they can do is call the dealership on your behalf. They can't force them to perform any repairs that are not covered under your warranty.

Some dealerships are honest. Some are not. If you feel they were not honest, which obviously is the case, I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership telling him or her that you were told by your salesperson that the minor defects would be repaired, but they were not. And that you are very disappointed that the purchase of your dream car has turned into a complete nightmare (if you want to be dramatic about it). I would not accuse the dealership of fraud or insult them in any way. Be professional and you might get somewhere.

Wait a month for a response. If you don't get one or get an unsatisfactory response, leave reviews for them on google maps and yelp. People read those and negative reviews will have a negative impact on their business. If nothing else, you can get a bit of revenge if that's what you're looking for.
Old 09-14-12, 09:11 AM
eliotd
Rookie

So 33,500 price point wasn't far off the mark before all the add ons. I will see what happens and have resigned to the fact that it is what it is! Like I said before, I just expected more from a CPO, but Love driving with the top down, if and when the wife lets me drive it! Even the dealer can't fix that problem! (the sales manager tried on my behalf) We took a 500 mile trip and never felt as comfortable as we did in the SC, so much better than the Avalon and felt less fatigued when we climbed out!

Old 09-14-12, 06:32 PM
eliotd
Rookie

Originally Posted by husker741
If I had a CPO on my SC like you do, I would have a hay day in the service department by getting every last thing fixed properly. You are lucky to have that. Not because many things go mechanically wrong or anything like that, but when speakers are known to blow and small things happen, Lexus will take care of it.
Funny that you first insist they will fix it all and that I should have a "hay day" but
when I complain they blew off a few repair items and didn't even fix what we pointed out prior to purchase, you say I am asking for things I don't deserve! You must be a dealer!
Anyway, it is what it is and I am going to just enjoy the car despite it all. Now, how do you keep the neighbors from drooling on it?

Old 09-14-12, 09:21 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eliotd
Funny that you first insist they will fix it all and that I should have a "hay day" but
when I complain they blew off a few repair items and didn't even fix what we pointed out prior to purchase, you say I am asking for things I don't deserve! You must be a dealer!
Anyway, it is what it is and I am going to just enjoy the car despite it all. Now, how do you keep the neighbors from drooling on it?

I said that in regards to my 120,000 mile 2002 SC, not your 50,000 mile 2006. Big difference. And by hay day, I meant fix a roof rattle that I have and get a speaker replaced, which are things I just put up with, because it's a used car.

Quick Reply: Lexus Certified Put Off