SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For those that are wondering Celica seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 02:01 AM
Yefeng
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those that are wondering Celica seats

They are far from a direct fit, picked up a set (steering wheel as well) off a 02 celica GTS.

now the front two you all know can be made to work by drilling the holes wider for the bolt to fit in, however the rear is a completely different story.

to make them fit me and a welder friend spent about 5 hours start to finish.... end results though.... completely worth it. For those of you that are tall like me (6”7) these seats literally gave me 2-2.5” extra headroom and make the car seem so much bigger!

To make them work you will need to reuse your old rails, your seat belts and possibly you seatbelt harness (to be done)

front would need to be drilled 1/4” wider, rear you need to cut off 2” (basically the entire rear mounting point)

the entire celica seat needs needs to be disassembled , be careful of the plastic pieces as they are a pita to remove, you will need a flathead to remove the celica tilt plastic lever.

once you do that you will need to cut the oem rear mounting brackets off the sc seats and shave them flat, weld them to the celica brackets

reasseming the seats was crap because there is a rod in the seat for the tilt that is movable so it’s hard to get it to sit in properly.

You MUST reuse the sc seatbelts as the celica ones are smaller and the sc seatbelts won’t clip in.

once assembled it’s the fun part of putting them back in, passenger was straight forward but the drivers we needed to widen the tunnel mounting bracket.

Old 10-01-18, 02:04 AM
Yefeng
Rookie

Old 10-01-18, 10:26 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Excellent, looks great! Thank you for sharing, definitely seems to be a viable option vs. Supra TT seats.

Wonder if there are any Celica seats in tan....
Old 10-01-18, 01:13 PM
Yefeng
Rookie

Originally Posted by aswang
Excellent, looks great! Thank you for sharing, definitely seems to be a viable option vs. Supra TT seats.

Wonder if there are any Celica seats in tan....
a good set of celica seats will run a fraction of the cost of Supra seats. I picked up celica gts steering wheel and seats for $200cad
The following users liked this post:
aswang (10-03-18)
Old 10-03-18, 07:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Ah, you got the leather GTS version. I saw a set of those once at the junkyard, but never went back for them... I used the cloth version with similar success (and difficulties). I never did figure out how to get the adjustment **** off without breaking it; couldn't find a hidden retainer anywhere. From what I've seen, the seats only came in black.

You're not kidding about the increased headroom with those seats. I actually had to raise mine up an inch as a result.
The following users liked this post:
aswang (10-03-18)
Old 10-03-18, 10:27 PM
Yefeng
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Ah, you got the leather GTS version. I saw a set of those once at the junkyard, but never went back for them... I used the cloth version with similar success (and difficulties). I never did figure out how to get the adjustment **** off without breaking it; couldn't find a hidden retainer anywhere. From what I've seen, the seats only came in black.

You're not kidding about the increased headroom with those seats. I actually had to raise mine up an inch as a result.
there is a c clip holding it on, sadly though I lost mine lol so I gotta scower the shop looking for it. And also the seat belts needed to be swapped... but the harness I couldnt trace back the two wires in the main harness.... so I have the seatbelt warning light on :/
Old 10-04-18, 11:06 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Do you remember where the c-clip is concealed? I didn't want to destroy mine, but I happened across a Celica seat conveniently pulled and abandoned in one of the junkyard aisles shortly after, so I tried performing gentle surgery on its adjustment **** and never found the clip. It blew up in my hands...

As for the wiring, I think I used a spare seat harness and removed all but the wires the orange (?) seat belt connector feeds into. I might have notes on it somewhere, but I don't recall it being difficult to follow back. Feeding the connectors through the Celica seat frame was more of a challenge than the wiring.
Old 10-04-18, 11:13 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Do you remember where the c-clip is concealed? I didn't want to destroy mine, but I happened across a Celica seat conveniently pulled and abandoned in one of the junkyard aisles shortly after, so I tried performing gentle surgery on its adjustment **** and never found the clip. It blew up in my hands...

As for the wiring, I think I used a spare seat harness and removed all but the wires the orange (?) seat belt connector feeds into. I might have notes on it somewhere, but I don't recall it being difficult to follow back. Feeding the connectors through the Celica seat frame was more of a challenge than the wiring.
Most seats, the C clip will go towards the front or the rear of the car. The **** will pull right off. If you know the orientation, you could stick a rag in there and keep on pulling it back and forth until the clip pops off.
Old 10-05-18, 02:04 PM
Yefeng
Rookie

its literally on the turn **** outside holding it in place. Was easy to get off with pliers... but be careful on not losing it like my buddy did

please see see if you can find the pin location, I tried following it back but they get spliced into another wire before connecting to the plug... couldn’t find it ... :/

on a side note .... I love the seats... at 6”7 I can sit with the seat upright and not tilted and sit comfortably
Old 10-07-18, 10:09 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Most seats, the C clip will go towards the front or the rear of the car. The **** will pull right off. If you know the orientation, you could stick a rag in there and keep on pulling it back and forth until the clip pops off.
I didn't know they tend toward a common orientation. The SC recline lever clips seem to be vertically oriented...

Originally Posted by Yefeng
its literally on the turn **** outside holding it in place. Was easy to get off with pliers... but be careful on not losing it like my buddy did

I wonder if the leather seats are different... I've messed with three of the cloth ones and am yet to find a clip visible on the adjustment ****, including the one that blew up in my hand at the junkyard and was easy to inspect.

please see see if you can find the pin location, I tried following it back but they get spliced into another wire before connecting to the plug... couldn’t find it ... :/
I couldn't find anything in my notes about how I wired up the Celica seat. You're probably looking at a branched +12V line (or ground) for the stock seat's power functions. No need to keep that stuff for a manual seat (or is the leather GTS powered? that would complicate things), so just eliminate the branch and work your way back until all you have left is the seat belt wiring.
Old 10-10-18, 12:12 AM
Yefeng
Rookie

I didn't know they tend toward a common orientation. The SC recline lever clips seem to be vertically oriented...

I wonder if the leather seats are different... I've messed with three of the cloth ones and am yet to find a clip visible on the adjustment ****, including the one that blew up in my hand at the junkyard and was easy to inspect.

I couldn't find anything in my notes about how I wired up the Celica seat. You're probably looking at a branched +12V line (or ground) for the stock seat's power functions. No need to keep that stuff for a manual seat (or is the leather GTS powered? that would complicate things), so just eliminate the branch and work your way back until all you have left is the seat belt wiring.

did that, but still couldn’t locate the two pins for the seatbelts.... stripped the harness almost complete but they branch off into neverland.... bizarro af... figured it would be easy to just trace the wires back to the main harness but it’s not

and no the gts seats are fully manual