SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CAD File Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 10:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
I can print it for you in Black ABS. I'm in the midst of upgrading my printer but i should be back up and running by Monday.
Wow, thank you! You have PM!
Old 08-02-17, 06:58 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
I printed this for another CL member.
He sent me a few pics of the part installed. They are attached. He said that it fits like a glove!
Great, thanks for the pictures and the feedback. That is officially the first one printed (that I know of) of the final design. Good job!
Old 08-02-17, 01:39 PM
MLeopard
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Hey MLeopard, is it still possible to suppress the cut that you made to the 3-gauge offset version or the panel so that the thin upper surround comes back? I can live without it if it's not possible any longer but I would like to try that version with the 1-DIN stereo I'm planning to buy.

Love the addition of the bottom reinforcement to all of the panels! I think I will put that to the test out in the Cali desert!

I figure that if it doesn't work for some reason I can always trim it off myself after printing and at least note for this thread whether it accommodated the HU or not.

I've contacted Quickparts Inc. in Atlanta, GA to obtain a printing quote for the panel in black ABS plastic. They more often do bulk orders but I'll see what they quote me for just one example.
I can adjust the file if you still need it. The suppressed cut shouldn't mess up any of the later changes.
Old 08-02-17, 04:05 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by MLeopard
I can adjust the file if you still need it. The suppressed cut shouldn't mess up any of the later changes.
If you can, that would be awesome! I realize it isn't needed to install a 1-DIN head unit but I'd like to try to make it work. I recall you suppressed it because the HU you used was already sitting flush with the rest of the bezel and this created a fitment conflict, correct?

mrmj2u, with that upper section added back do you think your printer will still handle the overall dimensions?

Edit:

I'm taking a closer look at the upper area where a 1-DIN head unit can be mounted and I think I'm beginning to understand why you removed that upper section, MLeopard.

Apologies for reposting your image, Halon but for some reason I could not simply "quote" repost it.

This is a 3 hole plate that Halon posted his installation of some pages back. Note that this is NOT the version MLeopard made for three offset 52mm VDO Vision Black gauges. The upper mounting area where the 1-DIN stereo unit goes does look very flush to the console area. All that is missing is, I guess, a front bezel that might have come with that stereo.

It looks as if including the upper surround plastic in his case would have impeded the fitment of the stereo. I can't tell for sure from the angle. Is the takeaway here that fitment varies from unit to unit?

...but when I look at my Metra 2-DIN stereo cradle I can see there is plenty of bezel surround area beyond the space a 1-DIN stereo would fit into.

If I wanted to install one of these, I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to get dimensions from Jensen HD.

Edit/Update: It seems just about all Jensen HD 1-DIN head units do not have removable bezels. They are actually slightly too wide even for the SC's console surround plastic opening. Seems they will fit well in vehicles where its bezel will not be surrounded by anything immediate. If not for that, 1-DIN fitment and build quality are actually great. Forget even trying to fit this thing's bezel into a Metra 2-DIN radio bezel for SC's-- that's definitely not happening. I have eyeballed and attempted test fit with all of this myself and for such a well made stereo (seriously, this line of Jensens is night and day compared to their regular junky consumer lineup) it's a shame but it won't fit an SC without hacking up the Jensen bezel's sides or hacking up the radio surround area of the SC's console plastic. The CAD panels in this thread without the upper bezel trim might even have a little 1-2mm upper clearance issue with the bezel on one of these. C'est la vie.

Still, I'll take the risk. I'm willing to bet the fit will still work very well with the upper surround as this head unit appears to have no extra bezel that comes with it just with another 1-DIN stereo.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-09-17 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Updated information of Jensen HD head unit not fitting SC's with or without a separate bezel
Old 08-03-17, 06:10 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

My print bed is 8" wide x 8" deep. I can print objects that are up to 7" tall (until my next mod )

A normal DIN is 7"... so we might be cutting it close, but depending on the final design, i believe I can print it.
Old 08-03-17, 11:06 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Just checked the size against the current version of the gauge pod; it fits.

The additional 200-220mm required for the radio bezel will fit very easily in my printer.
Attached Thumbnails CAD File Sharing-screen-shot-2017-08-03-at-2.03.57-pm.png  
Old 08-03-17, 10:10 PM
KahnBB6

^^ That's awesome! Now we'll see how this turns out! I'll order one VDO gauge soon to confirm the fitment but since MLeopard went off VDO's own stated mounting specs and gauge dimensions I don't think there will be any issue.

mrmj2u, are you going to print one of the many panel variants for your own SC?
Old 08-04-17, 04:36 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ That's awesome! Now we'll see how this turns out! I'll order one VDO gauge soon to confirm the fitment but since MLeopard went off VDO's own stated mounting specs and gauge dimensions I don't think there will be any issue.

mrmj2u, are you going to print one of the many panel variants for your own SC?
Im running a double din radio... I'll need to print some other kind of gauge panel... not sure what kind yet though :/
Old 08-04-17, 03:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I'm not sure if its large enough but maybe you can fit a couple gauges in the ashtray section if you are running double din.
Old 08-05-17, 02:42 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Ali, that's the next best thing, I think. However they would need to be much smaller than 52mm dia gauges. An LED display or two would fit in the ashtray section.

Then I've seen a couple of people do this if they are willing to gut the entire section underneath the ashtray and DC port flipper lid, plus removing the lid.

Phil Auldridge did this one with a custom made wood mounting area:

I want to try installing something in the ashtray area myself even if it's just a couple of USB power ports and an aux jack. However it's a perfect place to put some controller or monitor.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-05-17 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 08:01 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

GEEZE WHEN was that pic taken look at that phone
The following users liked this post:
ish9 (08-06-17)
Old 08-07-17, 02:05 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by zazzn
GEEZE WHEN was that pic taken look at that phone
I believe it was taken around 2003-2005 when Auldridge first published his 2JZGTE swap manual (it's his picture). I had the same hard wired Nokia phone cradle setup back then in another car. Before iPhones and Samsungs and even before Nokia got into their first "smart" phones it was a really good system. Far more reliable than bluetooth since everything had a direct connection once you popped the phone into place. That integrated phone system never once had a glitch or technical hiccup of any kind. It was pricey to install though.

What's interesting is that Nokia and whatever mounting plate company collaborated with them designed an actually GOOD location to bolt the VSM plate to outside of the center console.

Of the two companies that still offer VSM universal mounting plates for the 92-00 SC's neither of them quite use that location for their designs: one stupidly and poorly bolts underneath the shifter bezel (which doesn't work with M/T cars) and the other has a so-so system that bolts into the accessory fold-out cupholder area on the upper right of the console. I used it for a while but found that it has a faint rattle unless some extra rubber washers or other rubber isolators are added in between the console plastic surfaces.

^^ Where the cradle and VSM plate are mounted in the picture above is superior to both, assuming there is no obstruction of the glove box door. I wish I knew the company name for the mounting plate.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-27-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 02:24 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mrmj2u Hooked me up!

Sprayed it black and added the Supra brake decal.

Old 08-18-17, 05:14 PM
KahnBB6

Posting this up for others who may want to use it. MLeopard contacted me earlier with these additional variants to the three gauge panel which now includes the previously deleted upper radio bezel. The design and reinforcement is beautiful! Thank you!!

The non-upper-bezel versions are all listed in his main links.

Since I ruled out Jensen HD 1-DIN radios (their non-removable fronts will not clear our console surround plastic) I'm going to try this with a Continental/VDO 1-DIN soon since they have removable front surround bezels. FYI, if this is the first time you've seen this, MLeopard designed the two-gauge and three-gauge panels around VDO's Vision Black 52mm gauge series which are flush mount. Many types of gauges are available from them in that spec as analog electric as well as some analog mechanical.

I've got to say it is a beautiful looking piece!

A screenshot from my Autodesk Inventor Fusion viewer:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1i...FfTUhxZ2c/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1i...Jxa2diN3M/view

These, I assume, are on his main Google Drive listing of all the different variants available so far.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-18-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 05:26 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanV
mrmj2u Hooked me up!

Sprayed it black and added the Supra brake decal.

Looks great, thanks for posting up the finished product. Just a heads up that I made those bolt holes recessed so you should be able to run a socket head Allen or Phillips head type bolt that actually sinks inside the hole so they aren't visible. But looks good how u have it too. Good work!

Quick Reply: CAD File Sharing