CAD File Sharing - Page 11 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CAD File Sharing

Old 04-04-18, 08:33 AM
  #151  
mrmj2u
Pole Position
iTrader: (2)
 
mrmj2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DC
Posts: 357
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Hey Guys, I would like to get a spark plug cover cut. Where are you getting this done?

Also, where did you source your carbon fiber plate?


Last edited by mrmj2u; 04-04-18 at 08:52 AM.
mrmj2u is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 10:02 AM
  #152  
Halon
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

A good source is local sign companies. They usually have a water-jet cutter in house and lots of various material, even scrap for cheap sometimes (Metals, Plastics, etc). They probably won't have CF but they might be able to source it. Otherwise just look on eBay and try and find a flat sheet of 2mm thick CF large enough to cut a cover from and bring it to them to cut.
Halon is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Halon For This Useful Post:
mrmj2u (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 07:26 PM
  #153  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,623
Thanked 130 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Reminds me of my crude version of that I ran for several years. Eventually I really missed having the cigarette lighter for charging my phone. I thought I heard he was ending his business venture and was doing one final closeout sale before he closes up shop.
I was just in contact with the guy who founded and runs AutoExtrude a couple of days before reading your post. I was following up with him today about a custom order request I've made and relayed my concern about his possibly closing up shop soon. He told me that is not the case at all.

This was his response:

"...if you want to throw down a comment for me and let people know that I am not gone. I was going to close up shop but decided not to. I kept it open, doubled down on product development, hired a general manager and made a website... Feel free to let them know I’ll be doing more for the SC300/400 and GS300/400."

You can find his company on Facebook. I've forwarded him the link to this thread so that he and/or his general manager can respond themselves if they wish to.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-04-18 at 10:23 PM.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 09:03 AM
  #154  
VVTIJZ
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Hello guys, my name is Jonathan. The owner of AutoExtrude. I read your entire thread and you guys have been doing some really great stuff here. I always like to see a technological progression in our cars name. I wish I could contribute in an open-source methodology like all of you guys but I have a different doctrine on that front. I have a couple free ideas I can put out to the community when I get around to it, I'll be sure to share on here. Thank you...
VVTIJZ is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VVTIJZ For This Useful Post:
KahnBB6 (05-10-18), MLeopard (05-10-18), mrmj2u (04-29-18)
Old 05-10-18, 02:54 AM
  #155  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,623
Thanked 130 Times in 108 Posts
Default

A small update on implementing the beautiful triple gauge bezel that MLeopard designed. As my engine swap project is moving along I've returned to this since I need to run the wiring for the various gauge senders soon. I have a VDO/Continental radio and VDO Vision Black Voltmeter and 0-150 PSI oil pressure gauges on order but I picked up a third VDO Vision Black transmission pressure gauge a little quicker from Amazon which came in yesterday.

I was excited to do a quick test fit with the spin-lock on the inside of the 3D printed bezel but I ran into an issue, at least when using these VDO gauges. MLeopard, your initial concern with this was correct. While the VDO gauges themselves could be spaced out just enough to fit in place, there are clearance issues when using the rear spin-on lock cylinders to set them into place.

The center gauge fits and locks in perfectly but the other two on the right and left only fit in loose without their respective locking cylinders. The VDO schematics with dimensions probably did not cover the dimensions of the rear spin-locks.










I can see that there isn't much room for readjustment in the CAD file. I can Dremel tool to trim out most or all of the sides and bottom of the assembly where the spin locks are hitting but this would probably start to compromise the structural integrity and flex resistance of the assembly.

If more millimeters of room are needed internally on the sides and at the bottom as well as between the 52mm VDO gauges themselves... I think maybe these gauges in a triple arrangement might not work vs the two gauge setup in the same bunch of CAD files or the smaller diameter triple gauge opening versions. It is SO close though! I still love the look of this bezel, MLeopard but I think you were right at the onset about the tight space for more than two 52mm gauges.

Unfortunately Egauges is taking quite a while to fulfill my order which includes the 1-DIN stereo. I really want to see how the top head unit bezel works out. Hopefully soon.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Old 05-10-18, 06:54 AM
  #156  
MLeopard
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 62
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
A small update on implementing the beautiful triple gauge bezel that MLeopard designed. As my engine swap project is moving along I've returned to this since I need to run the wiring for the various gauge senders soon. I have a VDO/Continental radio and VDO Vision Black Voltmeter and 0-150 PSI oil pressure gauges on order but I picked up a third VDO Vision Black transmission pressure gauge a little quicker from Amazon which came in yesterday.

I was excited to do a quick test fit with the spin-lock on the inside of the 3D printed bezel but I ran into an issue, at least when using these VDO gauges. MLeopard, your initial concern with this was correct. While the VDO gauges themselves could be spaced out just enough to fit in place, there are clearance issues when using the rear spin-on lock cylinders to set them into place.

The center gauge fits and locks in perfectly but the other two on the right and left only fit in loose without their respective locking cylinders. The VDO schematics with dimensions probably did not cover the dimensions of the rear spin-locks.

I can see that there isn't much room for readjustment in the CAD file. I can Dremel tool to trim out most or all of the sides and bottom of the assembly where the spin locks are hitting but this would probably start to compromise the structural integrity and flex resistance of the assembly.

If more millimeters of room are needed internally on the sides and at the bottom as well as between the 52mm VDO gauges themselves... I think maybe these gauges in a triple arrangement might not work vs the two gauge setup in the same bunch of CAD files or the smaller diameter triple gauge opening versions. It is SO close though! I still love the look of this bezel, MLeopard but I think you were right at the onset about the tight space for more than two 52mm gauges.

Unfortunately Egauges is taking quite a while to fulfill my order which includes the 1-DIN stereo. I really want to see how the top head unit bezel works out. Hopefully soon.
I went back and looked at VDO's tech sheets and I see that I made a couple of errors with the lock ring reliefs. I made them the exact same diameter as what the lock rings should be. I should have put some clearance in there.I also see that I neglected to relief cut the brace I added along the bottom.

What is the actual diameter of the lock ring?

It's possible that you can forgo the lock rings and perhaps use some tape wrapped around the gauges to hold them in their holes. I employed that tactic in the A pillar gauge mount I have on my Firebird. I hope you can find a solution!
MLeopard is offline  
Old 05-10-18, 06:56 AM
  #157  
MLeopard
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 62
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VVTIJZ View Post
Hello guys, my name is Jonathan. The owner of AutoExtrude. I read your entire thread and you guys have been doing some really great stuff here. I always like to see a technological progression in our cars name. I wish I could contribute in an open-source methodology like all of you guys but I have a different doctrine on that front. I have a couple free ideas I can put out to the community when I get around to it, I'll be sure to share on here. Thank you...
Would love to see what you do feel you can share. I'm curious what your parts are printed from?
MLeopard is offline  
Old 05-10-18, 08:48 AM
  #158  
mrmj2u
Pole Position
iTrader: (2)
 
mrmj2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DC
Posts: 357
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MLeopard View Post
I went back and looked at VDO's tech sheets and I see that I made a couple of errors with the lock ring reliefs. I made them the exact same diameter as what the lock rings should be. I should have put some clearance in there.I also see that I neglected to relief cut the brace I added along the bottom.

What is the actual diameter of the lock ring?

It's possible that you can forgo the lock rings and perhaps use some tape wrapped around the gauges to hold them in their holes. I employed that tactic in the A pillar gauge mount I have on my Firebird. I hope you can find a solution!
I used the tape method to hold my gauges also. Works really well.
mrmj2u is offline  
Old 05-10-18, 11:17 PM
  #159  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,623
Thanked 130 Times in 108 Posts
Default

I’d prefer not to use tape to hold my gauges in if I can find any other solution. There has to be something I can do to massage the 3D printed housing just a bit with my Dremel, though that won’t help the lock rings being spaced from each other if they conflict.

Edit: I just cleaned up the gauge holes with my Dremel and examined the spin-lock ring clearances in the rear again. In the rear I'd have to cut away all of the lower structural support material immediately below the far left and far right gauges and a significant portion of the mounting structures on each side of the bezel assembly. I don't think the bezel would be nearly as sturdy after having done those cutaways.

Further, while from the back it looks like the far left and far right gauges could be moved upward in a revised CAD file, at the front there is almost no more room to work with to do this without losing the structural integrity between each hole's separation from the one closest to it. Even if not it might be a challenge for a 3D printer to make such fine separations in a clean way. I'm willing to bet that there are a very few more millimeters to work with if there were a revision but it would still be a very tight situation.

I now have a MUCH better appreciation for what you were up against, MLeopard.


According to my caliper gauge the diameter of the VDO spin-lock rings comes to 64mm each.









Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-10-18 at 11:55 PM.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Old 05-11-18, 06:44 AM
  #160  
MLeopard
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 62
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
Id prefer not to use tape to hold my gauges in if I can find any other solution. There has to be something I can do to massage the 3D printed housing just a bit with my Dremel, though that wont help the lock rings being spaced from each other if they conflict.

Edit: I just cleaned up the gauge holes with my Dremel and examined the spin-lock ring clearances in the rear again. In the rear I'd have to cut away all of the lower structural support material immediately below the far left and far right gauges and a significant portion of the mounting structures on each side of the bezel assembly. I don't think the bezel would be nearly as sturdy after having done those cutaways.

Further, while from the back it looks like the far left and far right gauges could be moved upward in a revised CAD file, at the front there is almost no more room to work with to do this without losing the structural integrity between each hole's separation from the one closest to it. Even if not it might be a challenge for a 3D printer to make such fine separations in a clean way. I'm willing to bet that there are a very few more millimeters to work with if there were a revision but it would still be a very tight situation.

I now have a MUCH better appreciation for what you were up against, MLeopard.


According to my caliper gauge the diameter of the VDO spin-lock rings comes to 64mm each.
Yes it is a very tight fit. I wouldn't have even gotten your hopes up if VDO's tech sheet was right. They show the diameter of the lock ring as 59mm. At least the way I read it. As you're observing 64 is just too big.
MLeopard is offline  
Old 05-12-18, 02:02 AM
  #161  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,623
Thanked 130 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MLeopard View Post
Yes it is a very tight fit. I wouldn't have even gotten your hopes up if VDO's tech sheet was right. They show the diameter of the lock ring as 59mm. At least the way I read it. As you're observing 64 is just too big.
Aw darn it :/ Thanks for the inaccurate information, VDO. MLeopard, thank you very much for creating the design nonetheless. I still think it's a great variant of your first designs. Actually maybe the answer is to incorporate a smaller diameter gauge or... something... in the middle while the two side gauges are moved in and up a bit. Still mostly triangular configuration but just no longer incorporating a matched set of three gauges any longer.

But then... this skirts closer to your original two gauge design and its angled LHD & RHD variants. Begs the question of what other significant thing could that space be used for that is a decent size smaller in diameter than 52mm front and 64mm rear?

Still, using another brand's 52mm gauge with this three gauge bezel design might bear fruit if a much simpler and thinner rear affixing method were designed into the gauge but this sadly rules out the VDO Vision Black series for this three gauge bezel.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-12-18 at 07:55 AM.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 10:55 AM
  #162  
phphung
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: ca
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have CAD files of the Lexus SC300 dash? I'm trying to model a gauge pod setup like the one below:



However, I want to mold the bottom of my gauge pod to the dash, that way we can have better fitment. See below for prototype CAD of the gauge pod.


phphung is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAD File Sharing


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: