SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Factory Keyless Entry Keys and Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 11:58 AM
xkazman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Factory Keyless Entry Keys and Receiver

Not factory, but plug-n-play replacement via provided harness. When I bought my 1993 SC400 it didn't come with the remote keys. Since no programming is available for our models (ROM Chip) I had to get the whole set. Made a phone call and shipped a key out and 2 days later this was in the mail. $142

I had to mail:
  • Year, Make, Model
  • copy of key
  • copy of registration and license (proof of ownership)

This was ordered from:

Mikado Technology Company
320 Kishimura Dr Ste 1,
Gilroy, CA 95020

Phone: (408) 842-9100

Last edited by xkazman; 08-14-15 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
apham8 (11-13-23)
Old 08-13-15, 07:20 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure who you called? Or paid $142 to whom
That doesn't look like the factory key
Old 08-14-15, 12:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Definitely aftermarket. Those look like very late 90's Lexus key shells though. I believe 1998-00 SC's may have had that shape of key and it looks exactly like a 98-00 LS400 key shape.

What company/service did you contact for this, OP? They may very well have a complete replacement kit but those aren't factory Lexus keys, nor is that box a factory replacement frequency chip. Is that a piezo buzzer inside the box? That's interesting, since 92-94's do not "chirp" for remote locking and unlocking from the factory...

A few years ago when I bought my SC I ordered a new factory 2x remote key set with the matched replacement frequency chip from a dealer. The factory keys have a single button on one side, have an effective range of 4-10ft and the chip is about the size of a small laptop wireless card that you'd find in, say, a cheap Chromebook.

Other than the keys being cut to VIN, the only thing that needs to be replaced is that chip-- no wiring. If there is an additional song and dance activation procedure as with later models I am unaware of it.
Old 08-14-15, 08:51 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Definitely aftermarket. Those look like very late 90's Lexus key shells though. I believe 1998-00 SC's may have had that shape of key and it looks exactly like a 98-00 LS400 key shape.

What company/service did you contact for this, OP? They may very well have a complete replacement kit but those aren't factory Lexus keys, nor is that box a factory replacement frequency chip. Is that a piezo buzzer inside the box? That's interesting, since 92-94's do not "chirp" for remote locking and unlocking from the factory...

A few years ago when I bought my SC I ordered a new factory 2x remote key set with the matched replacement frequency chip from a dealer. The factory keys have a single button on one side, have an effective range of 4-10ft and the chip is about the size of a small laptop wireless card that you'd find in, say, a cheap Chromebook.

Other than the keys being cut to VIN, the only thing that needs to be replaced is that chip-- no wiring. If there is an additional song and dance activation procedure as with later models I am unaware of it.
That's correct the 98-00 SC's have that same style key. The SC is unique because it uses the longest blade of any Lexus with that style key (because of the keyhole being recessed in the dash).

The red button isn't a Lexus thing, but Toyota vehicles with this style key have it.

You're also correct about 92-94 not being able to be reprogrammed with a song and dance routine. The only way to fix the keyless entry is to get 2 new keys that come with a preprogrammed chip.

95-97 comes with an external fob to lock and unlock the doors. I have no experience with these, but they look like the kind that come on early 2000 model Toyotas, so I'm guessing there is a song and dance to reprogram them.
Old 08-14-15, 11:48 AM
xkazman
Driver School Candidate

To correct myself, not OEM but plug-n-pay with the provided harness.
Old 08-14-15, 11:50 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

If you made a tutorial on how to do it, I would probably pay for one of these kits myself.
Old 08-14-15, 11:52 AM
xkazman
Driver School Candidate

I ordered from:

320 Kishimura Dr Ste 1,
Gilroy, CA 95020

Old 08-14-15, 02:42 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That's interesting. If you are getting to access the factory security unit you could also install something like bulldog keyless entry which is about $50. Uses a separate remote fob though but a third button should be able to wire up for trunk open which can be handy (may need relay)

What is the range of your new keyless remote?

If any SC owners have the 92/93 style factory key still it may be able to be repaired, the antenna IS key blade and overtime using the key causes the solder to lift from the circuit board. The solution is to solder / reflow this connection back. It worked right away. I carry the remote key to unlock but to avoid further strain I use a solid key to turn any locks. But this solution costed me nothing.

Also, a used remote key with the same ID should unlock the car (ebay). Of course, the key came from another car so it won't work on the locks.

Lexus original solution was to sell you 2 blank keys and a chip I remember for $300 then some more charge to cut the keys to VIN.
Old 08-17-15, 09:11 AM
xkazman
Driver School Candidate

it's an aftermarket replacement. It a simple lock/unlock and does have a "chirp". The original post has the company info.
Old 09-01-15, 08:35 AM
Doctaryn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!!!!!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this! Blessings, taryn
Originally Posted by xkazman
Not factory, but plug-n-play replacement via provided harness. When I bought my 1993 SC400 it didn't come with the remote keys. Since no programming is available for our models (ROM Chip) I had to get the whole set. Made a phone call and shipped a key out and 2 days later this was in the mail. $142

I had to mail:
  • Year, Make, Model
  • copy of key
  • copy of registration and license (proof of ownership)

This was ordered from:

320 Kishimura Dr Ste 1,
Gilroy, CA 95020

Old 09-16-15, 08:52 PM
dricacho
Rookie

I was just watching a youtube video of this product, I might get this!

Old 11-25-15, 10:58 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chirp sounds a bit weird and you'd think they could have it mount to one of the factory screw locations rather than just sitting in the trunk... but this looks like a solid option for those of us still manually locking/unlocking our doors.
Old 11-25-15, 01:24 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It sounds like the battery about to die in the car, I think it's a pretty cool setup for the price!!