SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cluster Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 11:45 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Speedometer

My speedometer was just fine except for the LEDs all out. Speed was reading properly, and it matched the android app i was using, which read my speed via GPS signal.

Sent my cluster in for repair to Lextech and just got it back. I have been using the same app for about a month on the same phone. I also tested the app while in other vehicles to match them to their speedometers and they were spot on maybe +/-1mph

Put the cluster in driving and decided to just pull out the app. speed was off by about 7mph higher on the GPS/phone app then on my speedometer

did some testing:
cluster GPS app
10MPH 10MPH or close enough as to not matter
15MPH 16MPH 1 miles higher
20MPH 22MPH
30MPH 33MPH now I am starting to worry, in NY a cop just needs a reason
40MPH 44MPH
50MPH 55MPH
60MPH 66-67MPH this is dangerous territory, this could be a huge ticket and points
70MPH 78-79MPH

I dont know why this is happening and I need to fix this asap. Spoke to Lextech they stated this is standard for it to be off by this much. But if i think i am going 60 but get clocked at 66 by a cop i am getting pulled over. Also it was not off prior to me sending it. perhaps since i have been driving with it out i just need to adjust it?

Anyone have a fix on this? if so how do i make sure i do it right and not just break the whole thing all together? i dont want to go buy a new one right after i got this one fixed.
Old 11-07-13, 05:07 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had the same prob. with mine after going to Lextech. Also tach is 500 or more slow

Last edited by bigwhite; 11-07-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 06:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

2mph off? GPS has nothing to do with actual road speed from a speedo standpoint. There is never going to be a speedo read what a GPS will unless you set the speedo to the GPS. The factory cluster settings are completely different thanks to tire and wheel size. GPS is an airborne signal it cannot be physical like a road speed when the speedo depends on the road and tires, not the gps. I understand you may not know about GPS and speedometers, but being 2 mph off is closer than most on any gps.

Tach can only read 500 rpm lower if you have not set it on dead zero after shipping as instructed.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-07-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 06:57 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

At 55 on my speedo. Im doing 62, verified by a 2013 Kia Sorento
Old 11-07-13, 08:30 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
2mph off? GPS has nothing to do with actual road speed from a speedo standpoint. There is never going to be a speedo read what a GPS will unless you set the speedo to the GPS. The factory cluster settings are completely different thanks to tire and wheel size. GPS is an airborne signal it cannot be physical like a road speed when the speedo depends on the road and tires, not the gps. I understand you may not know about GPS and speedometers, but being 2 mph off is closer than most on any gps.

Tach can only read 500 rpm lower if you have not set it on dead zero after shipping as instructed.
Like bigwhite said i later verified the speeds with a 1995 sc400. at 15-30 i dont care but when i am going 50 and its actually 55 or 60 is actually 67 thats a ticket and points. and btw the gps signal read exactly what the sc400 speed was and mine was off by 5-7 miles
50=57
60=66
70=78.

if you dont see this as a problem i will send you my ticket lol.
Old 11-07-13, 08:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Your speedo can be changed by re-weighting the needle, but it is factory weight so there is nothing changed, you are just noticing it. That's why it is not an issue of the speedo itself. It is all factory weight. You are just comparing it to GPS. Stick ANy tiny weight on the rear of the needle if you want to set it to GPS. That is not factory weighting and is your own decision. Your GPS is not calibrated to radar. They set the radar with drift in mind. Nobody's speedo is the same.
Old 11-07-13, 08:54 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Your speedo can be changed by re-weighting the needle, but it is factory weight so there is nothing changed, you are just noticing it. That's why it is not an issue of the speedo itself. It is all factory weight. You are just comparing it to GPS. Stick ANy tiny weight on the rear of the needle if you want to set it to GPS. That is not factory weighting and is your own decision. Your GPS is not calibrated to radar. They set the radar with drift in mind. Nobody's speedo is the same.
did you read the prior post where i compared it to another car side by side? they had to go 67 to match my 60mph. i cant explain that any better. the speedometer is reading less than the actual speed of the car, if i get clocked by a cop doing 67 when i think i am doing 60 my license can get suspended.

you are still on the gps i am talking about cars side by side. if that doesnt tell you there is a problem then i dont know what better way to explain.
Old 11-07-13, 08:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You are not seeing where I said your wheels and tires change by up to 4 mph. There are no two cars the same.
Old 11-07-13, 09:11 PM
xshurikx
Driver

how did my wheels and tires change by 4mph? i am sitting on bone stock, as is the other car.

and if you want to bring it back to the gps, i also tested it on a brand new kia optima, driving NY to Ohio and the GPS read the exact speed on the KIA speedo. this tells me the GPS is reading correct.

Look if it was 1 or 2 mph i wouldnt care but 6-8 off is a problem.

there has to be a fix. my understanding is the needle doesnt rise as fast or as far as it has to.
Old 11-07-13, 10:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Quit comparing two different cars. You are missing the point of the wheels and tires between each car. especially since you are talking about a freshly calibrated new kia with better technology in speedometer approximation. I can't do much more to put the idea out there there is no way to compare two cars that each depend on their own wheels and tires. We are not talking huge differences, just little ones of a few MPH.
Old 11-08-13, 05:47 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

well, I have that problem from driving with bigger tires.
here is what you do, just remember that your speedo is off! it will be a little weird at first, but you will get use to it. its not that huge of a deal.
but if you are worried about getting a ticket, than drive slower than usual! That's not that hard of a concept. they cant give you a ticket for going under the speed limit (to a certain degree)
Old 11-08-13, 07:08 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Quit comparing two different cars. You are missing the point of the wheels and tires between each car. especially since you are talking about a freshly calibrated new kia with better technology in speedometer approximation. I can't do much more to put the idea out there there is no way to compare two cars that each depend on their own wheels and tires. We are not talking huge differences, just little ones of a few MPH.
a few miles is 1 or 2 not 6 or 8. I am going to find a place to test it and they take everything into account from tires to wheel size to car age and everything. and when i get the results if its off by more than 5 mph you cannot possibly say that its ok to be off by that much. also it was not, NOT off before i sent it, because i did the same tests before i took it out. so dont give me some BS about this is correct and the way its supposed to be. I am one of those people where everything needs to work as advertised, thats what i am paying for not for a half ***'ed job where the speed is off and the lights are off and this is not good and that isnt right.
Old 11-08-13, 04:56 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xshurikx
a few miles is 1 or 2 not 6 or 8. I am going to find a place to test it and they take everything into account from tires to wheel size to car age and everything. and when i get the results if its off by more than 5 mph you cannot possibly say that its ok to be off by that much. also it was not, NOT off before i sent it, because i did the same tests before i took it out. so dont give me some BS about this is correct and the way its supposed to be. I am one of those people where everything needs to work as advertised, thats what i am paying for not for a half ***'ed job where the speed is off and the lights are off and this is not good and that isnt right.
lol, im with you on this one but i see what o.l.t's tryna say. but i dont see the issue, my tach doesnt even work cuz my speed sensor died. im fine following other cars
Old 11-08-13, 05:03 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

If the speedo. is off does that mean the odometer is off?
Old 11-08-13, 05:13 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Out of fairness to Lextech, I think we should post our likes or dislikes of their work on their website reveiws.

Quick Reply: Cluster Speedometer