SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wipers won't turnoff...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 10:04 AM
xaviuhr
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrCJ305
Well I haven't driven my car in a week after a few storms we've been having down in Miami. Decided to drive it to McDonald's a few minutes ago and noticed my wipers were on. Checked to see if they were in the off position & they were. I then switched the speeds to check if the motor was bad which went well because all speeds worked. Any suggestions to why this might be happening? I am lowered on 19's could it be the harness? (I hope) The car runs perfect though it's just the wiper issue I'm having all of a sudden.
*I FOUND A TEMPORARY FIX* 1/10/2023
So it gives me a sigh of relief other people are having the same problem I am and its not just my car haha. Okay so getting back to the problem, it has been raining a ****** ton here in california as everyone knows and my car has been getting tons of water above it. I moved it about a week ago and the wipers would not stop. I thought letting it alone for a while to dry would help it but still the same thing. I checked fuses, relays and connections and everything is good. On top of this I even resetted the computer to see if it was that but didnt really help. And for the millionth time before someone says this as the most obvious thing YES my car is lowered YES to the harness is okay and YES its properly tucked in and has 0 interference.

So the solution:
As the most obvious one which I did for a day, I took the damn wipers off lol. But then an idea came to me while I was thinking. I set the wiper switch between the off and INT and IT DOESNT MOVE ANYMORE!!! Kind of reminds me when I was little and I would balance the light switch between the off and on setting. But the same thing for this, its been working for a week and nothing has happened . I know its a lazy fix but hey it works! Its most likely going to be having to do something with the switch next to the steering wheel and gonna have to dig a little deeper to find the real solution. But I pulled some relays off another sc400 so im gonna see if that does anything.

Last edited by xaviuhr; 01-10-23 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-13-23, 04:56 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by xaviuhr
But then an idea came to me while I was thinking. I set the wiper switch between the off and INT and IT DOESNT MOVE ANYMORE!!! Kind of reminds me when I was little and I would balance the light switch between the off and on setting. But the same thing for this, its been working for a week and nothing has happened . I know its a lazy fix but hey it works! Its most likely going to be having to do something with the switch next to the steering wheel and gonna have to dig a little deeper to find the real solution. But I pulled some relays off another sc400 so im gonna see if that does anything.
The wiper motor has power at all times to the park rotary limit switch inside the wiper motor. When you select "off" the integration relay located at the left foot panel gets power from this source and sends it back to the motor until the park position is reached which then interrupts that power. By selecting a position other than off or int the integration relay loses that source of power back to the motor away. One potential source of your issue might be the rotary limit switch just not interrupting power? Probably other potential but that's one.

This schematic has always been so hard for me to follow, it takes some study to understand it. I did away with all of the factory wiring in the race car and then had to figure out a way to make the wipers come to home position which isn't easy considering how it works.

The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
Bimmerbill (01-14-23), ebonybiko (01-14-23)