SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 Replaced Headlights and Blue Cut-off line

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 09:55 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you!

Many thanks to fellow CL member James N., who helped me throughout the installation process, I've finally installed new 97+ headlights. I still don't have the time to upload the pictures yet. However, I thought I could share some obvious observations for those who are still considering this upgrade.

With "old" headlights:
1. Visual defects: Ugly moisture marks and fading headlight covers.
2. Lighting defects: Compromised lighting (even with HIDs) and no sharp, clear cut-off lines
3. Ego defects: Even with HIDs, the old projectors made the lighting seemed as if I were using off the shelf, blue colored bulbs. Even some cars with halogen bulbs gave brighter lighting outputs at times.

With "new" headlights:
1. Visual wow factors: Beautiful new headlights put shame to my old headlights even though I did Scratch X the hell out of them.
2. 100Xs better lighting output: Even before sun sets, I can now see the blue/purple hues being reflected from road signs hundreds of yards away.
3. Beautiful multi-colored cut off lines: I can now see a very clear, defined rainbow-like cut off line just above the surface that's been hit by the light.

Verdict:
Even with the new headlights and McCulloch 6000k HIDs, the overall lighting output is still not as bright as my Bimmer's projectors w/ Philips 6000k HIDs. However, it's bright enough to satisfy my needs, maintain that "newer car" look for my SC4, and ensure the safety of others and myself while I drive at night.

Is this upgrade worth $650? I sure think it is.

Jon

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Go right ahead.. Mi Casa Su Casa
Old 05-21-06, 03:09 AM
tttp5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if i order a set of 97+ SC headlights, will they be able to fit on a 92 SC? I know they have different part numbers for the different years
Old 05-21-06, 08:15 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tttp5
does anyone know if i order a set of 97+ SC headlights, will they be able to fit on a 92 SC? I know they have different part numbers for the different years
they will fit perfectly
Old 05-21-06, 08:18 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Thank you!

Many thanks to fellow CL member James N., who helped me throughout the installation process, I've finally installed new 97+ headlights. I still don't have the time to upload the pictures yet. However, I thought I could share some obvious observations for those who are still considering this upgrade.

With "old" headlights:
1. Visual defects: Ugly moisture marks and fading headlight covers.
2. Lighting defects: Compromised lighting (even with HIDs) and no sharp, clear cut-off lines
3. Ego defects: Even with HIDs, the old projectors made the lighting seemed as if I were using off the shelf, blue colored bulbs. Even some cars with halogen bulbs gave brighter lighting outputs at times.

With "new" headlights:
1. Visual wow factors: Beautiful new headlights put shame to my old headlights even though I did Scratch X the hell out of them.
2. 100Xs better lighting output: Even before sun sets, I can now see the blue/purple hues being reflected from road signs hundreds of yards away.
3. Beautiful multi-colored cut off lines: I can now see a very clear, defined rainbow-like cut off line just above the surface that's been hit by the light.

Verdict:
Even with the new headlights and McCulloch 6000k HIDs, the overall lighting output is still not as bright as my Bimmer's projectors w/ Philips 6000k HIDs. However, it's bright enough to satisfy my needs, maintain that "newer car" look for my SC4, and ensure the safety of others and myself while I drive at night.

Is this upgrade worth $650? I sure think it is.

Jon

Awesome!! Glad it turned out good!
Old 06-19-06, 03:38 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i ordered a set of 97+ in may from a lexus dealership, and i get no nice cut-off. how is this possible.

i get the 2 spots above the beams. is this just a simple alignment problem?
Old 11-24-06, 11:50 AM
JSC300
Driver

Default 8000k

i just ordered an 8000k hid kit, and my passanger headlight is pretty crappy looking, im going to have to take it apart and clean it (1995 SC) it should be here today so ill get some pics.
Old 11-30-06, 06:21 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JSC300
i just ordered an 8000k hid kit, and my passanger headlight is pretty crappy looking, im going to have to take it apart and clean it (1995 SC) it should be here today so ill get some pics.
Should be interesting to see. did you take any pictures?
Old 11-30-06, 07:13 PM
JSC300
Driver

Actually, the package did not come yet. I am going to send it back as soon as i get it before i even open the box. I bought it from buyhidkit.com and its an "auto vizion" kit...i did some research and im returning it and buying a Philips kit from xenondepot.com. I plan on just installing the Philips kit right into my car, no retrofitting but maybe cleaning the headlights first. Has anyone had experience with www.buyhidkit.com? I have had crappy customer service so far, they also seem kind of shady...
Old 05-16-07, 05:17 PM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

Default two spots above drivers side cutoff

Guys what are the two spots above the cutoff line (mainly above the drivers side) in the picture on page 6 from NPSC303 (sorry couldn't figure out how to post the picture). I have the same problem in my newly installed 6500K from XD -- two spots coming from each headlamp but both pointed above the cutoff line on the drivers side only, otherwise my headlights are fine. Is there a way to find out if you have 2002 + remakes of the 97 SC headlights, such as a production number or something. please reply. Right now, my headlights appear pure white with a slight purple around the edges but definitely not like the optical illusion of the BMWs. Also, I don't get the bluish purple at the top of the cutoff line...

Originally Posted by NPSC303
Yo cobra, here's what my beam pattern / cutoff line looks like...

Last edited by Rajshnu; 05-16-07 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-16-07, 11:18 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

the spots are squirrel spotters, almost all non-hid projectors have them. You need to close em up so your not killing on coming traffic.
Old 05-16-07, 11:24 PM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

you can't be serious... squirrel spotters.. no really what are they for, is it intentional or is this just bleeding from holes in the projectors... regardless, how do I get them closed up....
Old 05-16-07, 11:42 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rajshnu
Guys what are the two spots above the cutoff line (mainly above the drivers side) in the picture on page 6 from NPSC303 (sorry couldn't figure out how to post the picture). I have the same problem in my newly installed 6500K from XD -- two spots coming from each headlamp but both pointed above the cutoff line on the drivers side only, otherwise my headlights are fine. Is there a way to find out if you have 2002 + remakes of the 97 SC headlights, such as a production number or something. please reply. Right now, my headlights appear pure white with a slight purple around the edges but definitely not like the optical illusion of the BMWs. Also, I don't get the bluish purple at the top of the cutoff line...
I have the same exact problem!
Old 05-16-07, 11:48 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

There we go!

Originally Posted by Drocay
the spots are squirrel spotters, almost all non-hid projectors have them. You need to close em up so your not killing on coming traffic.
I dont think lexus invested millions of dollars in research, so you could spot squirrels better....
Old 05-17-07, 02:18 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

except that hes not bs'ing you. A lot of newer toyotas have them. my mothers camry has them. it may not be the right term for it though, but its indeed true.

yes its dumb
Old 05-17-07, 06:21 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

It's actually not a problem. If someone digs up the thread I posted about the SC projectors and me removing the internal tab you will see why this happens.

Lexus actually put holes in the shield in the projector. They are the exact reason they create the two spots. I don't know why they put them there but they are there.

Quick Reply: SC300/400 Replaced Headlights and Blue Cut-off line