SC300/400 Replaced Headlights and Blue Cut-off line

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 04:15 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Rebase the bulbs huh?

This is done by turning the bulb in a lathe to remove material so that an aluminum bracket will fit the bulb and match the socket? Is this correct?

Not to highjack a thread or change subject, just thought this would be good info for us, along with the recent knowledge of the 99 and newer headlight housings. This is going to be a winter project for me for sure.
OR. you could go on ebay or several websites and order rebased 9006 HID bulbs in pretty much any Color Temp for between $75-$150
Old 10-26-05, 10:03 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markesc
I got my recommendation from xenondepot.com for about $400, 4300k. Best thing about it was that the color temp is perfect white/purple but very bright with the new headlight on. I noticed internally that the cutoff inside of the lense is very very slightly, it slopes as a curve then /-- Hard to explain, but there is a difference, that and I'm sure the lens itself is much much better.
Are you saying your 4300K kit was purplish white? Should just be white at 4300K. 5400K is purplish white, and 6000K is even more purple. I'm considering replacing my 5400K osrams with 4300K philips (or equivalent)
Old 10-27-05, 09:17 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NPSC303
Are you saying your 4300K kit was purplish white? Should just be white at 4300K. 5400K is purplish white, and 6000K is even more purple. I'm considering replacing my 5400K osrams with 4300K philips (or equivalent)
agreed
Old 10-28-05, 09:27 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've had it for a year now, it's turned slightly purple/white overtime, but for the better, the light output has been great! But I don't mind a little color either.
Old 12-27-05, 03:58 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Click this link to see a short video of my headlights on a dark narrow road. Keep in mind that the video isn't very high quality and it is always hard to see ALL the light in a video.

Another short video is here

I just took those
Old 05-09-06, 12:43 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for making this informative post! Can't wait to see how they'll turn out for me.

I've just bought a pair of new headlights to replace my original ones and noticed that they do not come with the top seal.

I actually find it rather amusing that Lexus took the steps to include all the bulbs for these headlight assemblies and yet, it did not throw in the top seal to complete the package.

Can these seals be installed "after" I install the new headlights on my car?

Thanks.

Jon

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm not sure what my passenger headlight is, but my driver side (the one I just installed) is invoiced at : 81521-24044 and then you need the top seal: 53184-24010

I don't know if the 45 and the 44 part number make a difference, but what I was told by Lexus is that the only thing that changed was the type of Lense used on the projector. I guess its much clearer or thinner or something.. Don't really know. I just know that it looks Awesome!
Old 05-09-06, 08:09 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

Can these seals be installed "after" I install the new headlights on my car?

Thanks.

Jon
Yes, it's simply a rubber strip with adhesive on it. You can put it on later.
Old 05-09-06, 04:04 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you!

Will post pictures and comments regarding these new headlights w/ my 6000k HIDs after they are installed.

Jon

Yes, it's simply a rubber strip with adhesive on it. You can put it on later.
Old 05-09-06, 06:07 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've just bought a new headlight a few months back, wash the car all the time, and we get insane amts of rain, no problems with not using the seals. I'm thinking they didn't include them as it's slightly easier to remove/install them without the top seal?

I'm with you on that though, not sure why they are not included, but I don't find it critical to obtain them either....

Cant wait to see the 6000k pics!!
Old 05-09-06, 06:20 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

my headlights must have been replaced because i have a sick cut off line, its just screaming HID me already.
Old 05-09-06, 06:37 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Only if I saw this post a couple of hours earlier......

Just bought a set from Carson Toyota from Gordon for $22, which isn't exactly cheap for a pair of rubbers.

Hopefully, I'll be able to install them soon and post up some pictures.

Jon

Originally Posted by markesc
I've just bought a new headlight a few months back, wash the car all the time, and we get insane amts of rain, no problems with not using the seals. I'm thinking they didn't include them as it's slightly easier to remove/install them without the top seal?

I'm with you on that though, not sure why they are not included, but I don't find it critical to obtain them either....

Cant wait to see the 6000k pics!!
Old 05-09-06, 08:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Only if I saw this post a couple of hours earlier......

Just bought a set from Carson Toyota from Gordon for $22, which isn't exactly cheap for a pair of rubbers.

Hopefully, I'll be able to install them soon and post up some pictures.

Jon
can't wait to see them. were you running HIDs already with your old headlights?
Old 05-09-06, 08:23 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Yes. I am running 6000k McCulloch's with my stockers now.

As far as I know, these HIDs are very similar to the Philips 6000Ks I have on my Bimmer. However, with my current SC headlights the cut off lines from these HIDs are simply not as crisp, sharp, and bright compare to the ones on my BMW's ellipsoid headlights.

You're 100% correct on the difference in headlight outputs. My stock headlights also give out slightly different hues that are apparent to even the naked eyes. At first, I thought the previous Korean made HIDs I had were the culprit. However, this problem remains even after I installed the McCullochs.

As soon as I have everything installed, I will post up comparison pictures to add to your thread if you're okay with me doing so.

Jon

can't wait to see them. were you running HIDs already with your old headlights?
Old 05-10-06, 05:35 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Yes. I am running 6000k McCulloch's with my stockers now.

As far as I know, these HIDs are very similar to the Philips 6000Ks I have on my Bimmer. However, with my current SC headlights the cut off lines from these HIDs are simply not as crisp, sharp, and bright compare to the ones on my BMW's ellipsoid headlights.

You're 100% correct on the difference in headlight outputs. My stock headlights also give out slightly different hues that are apparent to even the naked eyes. At first, I thought the previous Korean made HIDs I had were the culprit. However, this problem remains even after I installed the McCullochs.

As soon as I have everything installed, I will post up comparison pictures to add to your thread if you're okay with me doing so.

Jon
Go right ahead.. Mi Casa Su Casa
Old 05-10-06, 12:02 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

My biggest "giggle factor" with my new headlights was the blue hue that they created. The side effects were the brighter output and sharper cuttoff line.

Perhaps you haven't gotten use to them yet (I could be wrong).

What I mean is, when I first put mine in it was hard to tell if they were any brighter until I drove the car at night and passed other cars with bright headlights (like GMC Envoys, and Infiniti G35s) and saw my headlight beam eclipse their headlight output while I am passing them (something I could not do with my old headlights even with HIDs)

hmmm.....i may have to look in to this

Quick Reply: SC300/400 Replaced Headlights and Blue Cut-off line