RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,863 Posts

They’re putting it back together, played with it a little bit, looks cool! Installer thinks it’s awesome.

wound up taking them way longer than they thought, glad I had them do it.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (10-29-19)
Old 08-06-19, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Installed! Couple questions:

1. I figured out how to get Wifi going, how do I update the firmware?
2. Phone call quality doesnt seem very good
3. Audio quality seems to be not as good as the car's USB connection despite using the AUX port. The supplied AUX plug is inserted. Still messing with this.

All in all though, I love it. Makes the car feel so much more modern and will give it staying power.

A Couple pics:

Old 08-07-19, 02:44 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks!

I updated to this version, but after update, I can no longer connect wirelessly. I can connect to the box's Bluetooth, but not the wifi. If I connect the wifi, it asks the password, but I don't know what password to use. Is there a way to fix this?

Originally Posted by qvtruong
New carplay dongle and app upgrade

notable update:
fixes the cracking music on ios 13
utilize new ios 13 feature which uses the Car’s microphone to activate hey siri (instead of the phone’s microphone)

Old 08-07-19, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wanted to offer a tip for those of you who have issues with call quality using this. I did as well, so I re-paired the phone to the car's BT and Selected "Call Audio Routing" in my iPhone's Accessibility settings to "Bluetooth Headset", now it connects all calls through the car's BT system while still allowing the call to be controlled and displayed in CarPlay. Call quality is back to normal.
scnc96 (08-11-19)
Old 08-08-19, 05:44 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Wanted to offer a tip for those of you who have issues with call quality using this. I did as well, so I re-paired the phone to the car's BT and Selected "Call Audio Routing" in my iPhone's Accessibility settings to "Bluetooth Headset", now it connects all calls through the car's BT system while still allowing the call to be controlled and displayed in CarPlay. Call quality is back to normal.
Thank you much for the tip. Makes a HUGE difference.
Old 08-11-19, 09:00 AM
scnc96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birming
Anyone have CarPlay dongle problem like me?
I plugged CarPlay dongle to android box USB port, but carplay is not start.
Just I can see below picture.

help me...
You cannot plug the dongle directly into the car. It only works with Android head units. Enform 1.0 is not Android. You would need to install an Android box (Grom V-Line 2, Beatsonic etc) and then plug the dongle into that.
Old 08-11-19, 09:25 AM
scnc96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Installed! Couple questions:

1. I figured out how to get Wifi going, how do I update the firmware?
2. Phone call quality doesnt seem very good
3. Audio quality seems to be not as good as the car's USB connection despite using the AUX port. The supplied AUX plug is inserted. Still messing with this.

All in all though, I love it. Makes the car feel so much more modern and will give it staying power.

A Couple pics:

Which unit did you install?
Old 08-11-19, 02:20 PM
j0gernaut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kri
I have the same problem. Plugin the 3.5mm jack loop-back didn't solve the problem. I have ML.
I'm having this issue as well. Anyone know of a temporary fix? I can't get sound from any apps when using carplay (music, gps, etc)
Old 08-12-19, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scnc96
Which unit did you install?
Its the Android (I think its 6.0...) with the non-wireless dongle.

Here's something I dont remember seeing happen to anybody on here. This screen coming up:

Its happened twice to me over the last week. Unplugging the phone does nothing. Phone still thinks its connected to CarPlay. Music still plays. Rebooting the radio does nothing. Turning the car off and restarting does nothing.

What does work is using the MENU button to kick back to the Android interface, choosing settings, and then Apps and Force Quitting Airplay.
Old 08-15-19, 01:56 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a unit that provides just Apple CarPlay? I don’t need or want Android Auto.
Old 08-15-19, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why does it matter? Its either Apple CarPlay OR Android Auto depending on what phone you have.
Old 08-18-19, 09:11 AM
Barden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion
Finally another guy with Android

I used HUR as well mainly because my phone won't hold the charge if I connect to the dongle. I can connect my phone to the cigarette charger and use the WIFI feature of HUR. Besides that,

1. The audio quality seems to be lower when the audio is going through the unit instead of Bluetooth (looks like it doesn't give you an option and will route all audio through USB if connected to the dongle). Strangely if an iPhone is connected it is less noticeable. With HUR I can disable sink audio and bluetooth to car play everything
2. Left and Right Audio channel is flipped on my unit. Cosmo has suggested me to try to rewire the left and right channel connectors, haven't had the time to do it yet.
3. AA is stretched using the dongle like you mentioned.

I tried Wifi-direct with HUR but it doesn't seem to work. It will connect and then just falls back to the home screen of HUR if I try to click Wifi-Direct. Do you know if it works on your unit? It could be that the unit doesn't support Wifi-direct feature..
I thought I was the only one using Head Unit Reloaded

What resolution and DPI settings are you running on HUR? I can't seem to find any that look good, it's either super small...or super big and grainy.
Old 08-18-19, 02:53 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What is up with the mini headphone plug you guys are having to plug into the Aux port in the center console?

What’s the purpose?

Do you all have to have it?
Old 08-18-19, 06:35 PM
PotOdds
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys,

Planning on getting the Nav Box during Aliexpress next sale. What's the best way to monitor it so I can get the $425 deal?

Thanks,
whiteghost (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whiteghost
What is up with the mini headphone plug you guys are having to plug into the Aux port in the center console?

What’s the purpose?

Do you all have to have it?
I think its just avoids interference.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350