RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 08:47 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hold on, did I miss something here, wireless carplay!?

I admit I've ignored this thread the past month and a half; did a update enable wireless carplay!?

Edit: Finally scrolled up far enough - new product from lsailt apparently. Awesome, must order.

Last edited by shadowmite; 06-17-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 08:57 AM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Is anyone else having issues when using the phone with carplay. People on the other tell me it’s is noisy and can barely understand me.
I'm also experiencing this issue.
Old 06-17-19, 04:59 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hnamanh
I'm also experiencing this issue.
Yes I’ve been asking about this for several weeks. It’s terrible from what people say. If you flip it to the regular BT, it’s fine but it’s quite inconvenient.
Old 06-17-19, 08:35 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj666
I tried some more today, it's not easy to connect two phones. I paired both phones one at a time by turning of the phone's WIFI for each paring. Then I connect my phone wirelessly, to disconnect my phone and use my wife's phone, I have to turn off my phone's wifi, and then connect the box's Bluetooth to my wife's phone again and then it connect to her phone's carplay.

Not sure if there is a better and more convenient way to do this for two phones.
I just found out, if you select Connection Mode as automatic, you can either use Wireless or Wired carplay. The system will detect automatically. So if your wife plug her phone to the cable, it will use wired carplay. If you want to use your phone, just connect it via wifi/Bluetooth.

if you’re connecting wirelessly, the moment you plug the phone to the cable, it will switch to wired mode
Old 06-17-19, 11:28 PM
vettestr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeon
Looks like these units will be on sale for around $360 again tomorrow.

Are the issues with the Mark Levinson fixed?
Hi, how do you check to know it will be on sale? Maybe install this for my wife 450h soon.
Thank you!
Old 06-18-19, 06:30 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Any ideas why the wireless connection keeps dropping?

When it loses the connection, I get the screen that is the screen you see when you have clicked on carplay but don’t have the phone connected. When it’s not connected, the big Wifi logo on that connection screen shows with the little x on it. Any suggestions?

I had the issue and Cosmo fixed it for me by having me delete all bluetooth pairing on my phone, lexus and android. Then followed by a network reset on my iphone 7. and afterward only pair bluetooth with carplay. Carplay have been stable and auto connects consistently for me.
Old 06-18-19, 06:32 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Yes I’ve been asking about this for several weeks. It’s terrible from what people say. If you flip it to the regular BT, it’s fine but it’s quite inconvenient.
i think i found the fix to this, it was a matter of audio source selection. I had to use Aux then select External on the lexus media menu then all audio became crispy clear.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 06-18-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 08:43 AM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do any of you guys have trouble getting Google Map’s navigation voice to play through the car’s speakers while streaming music on Spotify or listening to the radio? I seem to have issues getting the audio from Google Maps to play through the car’s speakers (no audio from Google Maps...even if I’m not playing any music...on wireless or wired connection)

For those of you that can get audio in Google Maps while listening to music (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, radio, etc.), what are your settings?

1) On your iPhone Bluetooth settings, which relevant Bluetooth devices are you connected to? For wireless CarPlay, I am connected to “AutoPlay-8db7” and “Lexus RX”. With this setup I am sometimes able to hear Google Maps audio while listening to the radio. (Google Maps audio seems to cut in and out). However if I use Spotify via CarPlay, my Google Maps audio will be non-existent. I have tried to unpair both Bluetooth profiles and only connect to “AutoPlay-8db7” and no “Lexus RX”, but my Google Maps audio still does not play through my car’s speakers (even if only running Google Maps with no other music source).

2) On my Android Box, in the main Android interface screen, if I go to Apps and click on “BT Phone”, there is a screen to connects your phone via Bluetooth to the Android box directly? The device that it defaults to is “BLINK_8761ATV”...(this shows up as another Bluetooth profile on my iPhone Bluetooth settings.) Am i supposed to connect my iPhone to this Bluetooth source?

Let me know what settings you guys are using for Google Maps

Oh, and before i forget, is your Google Maps centered? I find that the arrow of your car and the road that you’re traveling on is a little offset to the right side of the screen (off center)

Thanks!
Old 06-18-19, 09:19 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by leedoobert
Do any of you guys have trouble getting Google Map’s navigation voice to play through the car’s speakers while streaming music on Spotify or listening to the radio? I seem to have issues getting the audio from Google Maps to play through the car’s speakers (no audio from Google Maps...even if I’m not playing any music...on wireless or wired connection)

For those of you that can get audio in Google Maps while listening to music (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, radio, etc.), what are your settings?

1) On your iPhone Bluetooth settings, which relevant Bluetooth devices are you connected to? For wireless CarPlay, I am connected to “AutoPlay-8db7” and “Lexus RX”. With this setup I am sometimes able to hear Google Maps audio while listening to the radio. (Google Maps audio seems to cut in and out). However if I use Spotify via CarPlay, my Google Maps audio will be non-existent. I have tried to unpair both Bluetooth profiles and only connect to “AutoPlay-8db7” and no “Lexus RX”, but my Google Maps audio still does not play through my car’s speakers (even if only running Google Maps with no other music source).

2) On my Android Box, in the main Android interface screen, if I go to Apps and click on “BT Phone”, there is a screen to connects your phone via Bluetooth to the Android box directly? The device that it defaults to is “BLINK_8761ATV”...(this shows up as another Bluetooth profile on my iPhone Bluetooth settings.) Am i supposed to connect my iPhone to this Bluetooth source?

Let me know what settings you guys are using for Google Maps

Oh, and before i forget, is your Google Maps centered? I find that the arrow of your car and the road that you’re traveling on is a little offset to the right side of the screen (off center)

Thanks!

Mines is working working and I only have Bluetooth to carplay and not to Lexus or android box. It works the same wired or wireless. This is recommended by Cosmo.
Old 06-18-19, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Hey guys, this is a great thread and a very compelling product.

Quick question for you. Lets say that I am listening to music that I've initiated playing through CarPlay, wired or BT connection. If I were to switch back to the OEM infotainment interface to use say, the OEM nav for some reason, would that interrupt the audio playing? How about vice versa? If I'm listening to FM or XM through the OEM interface and I switched to Apple CarPlay, what would happen?

Thanks, close to pulling the trigger on this, he has one for my LS as well.
Old 06-18-19, 12:25 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hey guys, this is a great thread and a very compelling product.

Quick question for you. Lets say that I am listening to music that I've initiated playing through CarPlay, wired or BT connection. If I were to switch back to the OEM infotainment interface to use say, the OEM nav for some reason, would that interrupt the audio playing? How about vice versa? If I'm listening to FM or XM through the OEM interface and I switched to Apple CarPlay, what would happen?

Thanks, close to pulling the trigger on this, he has one for my LS as well.
The android / carplay uses aux for audio so as Long as you keep audio source as aux you can do everything in Lexus interface, music from carplay won’t be interrupted. The same goes for back up camera and parking sensors. You can use factory nav and carplay music at the same time. Oem Nav voice and carplay music will play.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 06-18-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 12:31 PM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is all too complicated for me and it obviously has a way to go before being fully functional. I'll look at it again in a year. In the meantime, you'all get all the kinks out. :-)
Old 06-18-19, 02:31 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
I just found out, if you select Connection Mode as automatic, you can either use Wireless or Wired carplay. The system will detect automatically. So if your wife plug her phone to the cable, it will use wired carplay. If you want to use your phone, just connect it via wifi/Bluetooth.

if you’re connecting wirelessly, the moment you plug the phone to the cable, it will switch to wired mode
Good to know this, thanks so much! Will give it a try when I get home this weekend
Old 06-18-19, 02:36 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
Mines is working working and I only have Bluetooth to carplay and not to Lexus or android box. It works the same wired or wireless. This is recommended by Cosmo.
Me too, I only have phone connected to CarPlay via Bluetooth, music and google map voice work perfectly
Old 06-18-19, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
The android / carplay uses aux for audio so as Long as you keep audio source as aux you can do everything in Lexus interface, music from carplay won’t be interrupted. The same goes for back up camera and parking sensors. You can use factory nav and carplay music at the same time. Oem Nav voice and carplay music will play.
Awesome. I'm going to order it now!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350