RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 12:04 PM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
The VLite VT2 model for the newer Lexus vehicles will be available in the second part of February. It will not be included into the group order yet, as it is not released yet. However we will have the pre-order for the VLite VT2 started in 2 weeks, with the discounted pricing over retail price. The pre-order will be available on our website.
If you would like to receive the notification about the pre-order, please sign up for our notifications at https://bit.ly/vline_interest We will also announce the pre-order here.
Is the only difference that the Lite version does not have build in Android and is only a "mirroring" renderer?
Old 01-09-23, 02:16 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmonster
Is the only difference that the Lite version does not have build in Android and is only a "mirroring" renderer?
The difference is the built-in Android, correct. The VLine vs VLite is that VLine VL2 also offers stand-alone Android interface, in addition to CarPlay / Android Auto. VLite is CarPlay / Android Auto only. With VLine VL2 Android interface you can run almost any Android apps on your factory car stereo, without the smartphone need, and are not limited to the apps available on CarPlay / Android Auto only.

You can see the compare table here:
https://gromaudio.com/vl_compare.html
Old 01-09-23, 02:28 PM
eddie420

Received 614 Likes on 441 Posts

The difference is the built-in Android, correct. The VLine vs VLite is that VLine VL2 also offers stand-alone Android interface, in addition to CarPlay / Android Auto. VLite is CarPlay / Android Auto only. With VLine VL2 Android interface you can run almost any Android apps on your factory car stereo, without the smartphone need, and are not limited to the apps available on CarPlay / Android Auto only.

You can see the compare table here:
https://gromaudio.com/vl_compare.html
Any plans to update the amount of RAM on the VLine VL2? Sometimes 2GB isn't enough.
Old 01-10-23, 10:58 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by eddie420
Any plans to update the amount of RAM on the VLine VL2? Sometimes 2GB isn't enough.
The RAM price currently is out of reach due to shortages. We are constantly checking the price and once we have a chance 3GB or 4GB will be back. At the moment 2GB works fine with most apps.
Old 01-10-23, 11:05 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hi all, and Happy New Year!
We start the new year with the new group buy order for VLine VL2 system that will add aftermarket CarPlay and Android Auto to your Lexus stereo. If you are interested to join this group order, please PM us your email address. We will add you to the group order list. The ordering period will start on January 10th.
The group ordering period will start later today, and will last for one week, until January 17th, end of the day. You can join at any time until the ordering period is over. To join the group order, simply DM us your email and name, or contact us via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html We will add you to the group order list.

Apple CarPlay using VLine VL2 system

Old 01-10-23, 05:39 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

[QUOTE=gromaudio;11425774]The difference is the built-in Android, correct. The VLine vs VLite is that VLine VL2 also offers stand-alone Android interface, in addition to CarPlay / Android Auto. VLite is CarPlay / Android Auto only. With VLine VL2 Android interface you can run almost any Android apps on your factory car stereo, without the smartphone need, and are not limited to the apps available on CarPlay / Android Auto only.
Old 01-11-23, 07:01 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

@gromaudio does the unit still get software updates? Your website says it's running Android 8 which is over 5 years old.
Old 01-11-23, 09:57 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by mrmonster
@gromaudio does the unit still get software updates? Your website says it's running Android 8 which is over 5 years old.
Yes it gets periodic software updates, and we plan to release the Android upgrade in about a month. Android 8.1 is solid OS that is perfectly suitable for the automotive use. For CarPlay and Android Auto functionality the version of Android OS on the VLine system does not matter.
Old 01-13-23, 02:37 PM
alex1372
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alex1372
That would work for me. Plus, it's easy to switch the input.

BTW, Aliexpress running winter sale this week so i just ordered the unit after all coupons and sales tax came to $236.13. Now I have to wait few days till it comes in.
Ho Ho Ho... Christmas in January unit came today. Installation was super easy thank to Professor's garage video. Took me less than 2 hours to install. Time to play with it
The following 2 users liked this post by alex1372:
gadgetman1 (01-30-23), maraynman (01-16-23)
Old 01-17-23, 10:19 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default GROM VLine Group Buy

Hi all, and Happy New Year!
We start the new year with the new group buy order for VLine VL2 system that will add aftermarket CarPlay and Android Auto to your Lexus stereo. If you are interested to join this group order, please PM us your email address. We will add you to the group order list. The ordering period will start on January 10th.
Today is the last day to join the group order for GROM VLine VL2 system, to save $120 over the retail pricing. If interested to join, send us the PM with your name and email address, or contact us at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 02-06-23, 01:27 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Hysteria Hooplas Bargain Group Closed.

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Ordered it...now the wait.
Where have I seen this display/unit before? Oh, hmm, looks suspiciously like the one for over $300 on Amazon called Carpurlde or something...that unit is more suited vertically for an rv or truck. Whatever the offer, it's still a Chinese product, and with that, consider its reliability about one step above that baloon when Joey hit it!
The results of that system, which is dash mounted, are unimpressive (accord. to Amazon reviewers, who could be seeking the same grail you are bout' to put holy into your wallet with!
I won't go into all the fancy promises being made here (SSNSNNNAAAAKKKKKEEOOOOOOIIIIIILL? anyone?). Given that the one unit fits many cars and is promising a lot of hours it seems to put in your older car (someone ripped the dash half open on a LS? Uggh).
Well, I suppose if you have to be the last on your block with one of these..good luck. There's also the Car and Driver (used to be a co. called "Coral"), which is said to be buggy and like all of these, seem to have "lag" time with phones, like calling from the moonbase Lexus?
Don't take my word for it...your Alibaba buyer feedback/product description has ONE review, which sounds like the buyer had to send it back "but the seller let me uncerstand..". Hoo-boy...I'm sorry, but I think I'll wait for a modern version of the radio telephone suitcase..that thing used to be state of the art!
"Now I'm home and I'm blind, and I'm broke...what is next?!" (Hell Broke Luce-Tom Waits)
Old 02-07-23, 12:37 AM
umpire
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did the radio cover fit?

How did the radio cover fit? Does it look OEM? It is snugged? I ask because I bought another Chines radio. Their cover is not snugged. Truly disappointed in mine.

QUOTE=qvtruong;10338922]
Just installed an aftermarket android box with Apple Carplay dongle to my RX350. The dongle also works with android auto. I don’t have an android phone, so this post is mostly about Apple Carplay.

Pros: looks and works like OEM, keep all factory settings/features (e.g. control with remote touch, birds eyes view, Mark Levinson, use car’s microphone, steering wheel control), keeps all factory hardware, plugs and play, play music via car’s bluetooth and control/browse playlist with the carplay interface.

Cons: apple maps navigation/siri sometimes will be played on the external speaker come with the kit, sometimes need to change the output to bluetooth on the iphone after siri/phone call (which is a bit annoying but acceptable). There is a setting to connect the android box's bluetooth to the Lexus bluetooth. See attached for instruction to turn "Master-On" on setting. All sounds now go through car's speakers.

I bought it on aliexpress from lsailt.

Update: Here is an overview video:

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-14-23, 08:08 PM
Plesh88
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got a 2018 RX with Nav and ordered the Grom Lite VT2 based on the discussions here. They have a 20% coupon right now so looking forward to getting this hooked up.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 08:49 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Plesh88
Just got a 2018 RX with Nav and ordered the Grom Lite VT2 based on the discussions here. They have a 20% coupon right now so looking forward to getting this hooked up.
Thank you!
Old 02-15-23, 04:38 PM
lighthurst
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, I'm considering buying an aftermarket carplay unit for my 2017 rx 350. I really like doing a bunch of research before pulling the plug and especially like sites like Wirecutter where you get a sense of all the options out there and the pros and cons. I was debating creating a separate post or attaching it to this one. Nonetheless, here we are.

So, my question[s] for those carplay users out there, what are the pros and cons for the unit you chose? Here are some questions that come to mind, but please add anything you think is useful before making a purchase. Thank you. Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of minimalism and OEM as much as possible, but I'm realizing that Google/Waze/etc maps have better directions than the OEM nav system, hence the post.

User experience:
- Does map audio work while listening to OEM radio?
- Do map directions show up on the heads-up display screen?
- Is the Bluetooth call quality on par with OEM?
- Is the music quality on par with OEM (Mark Levinson)?
- How do you get into CarPlay mode from car startup? Is it finicky?
- How would you rate the design of the unit’s start-up screen?
- Are you able to see the overhead camera view when at rest in carplay?

Cost:
- Financial: how much for the unit?
- Time: how much time does it take to install? Is installed by a dealer or self-installed?

Units to test:
- ZZ-2
- Honfox

Cheers

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350