RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Original or aftermarket windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 04:12 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If your vehicle is leased, check you lease agreement carefully as most require OEM windshield replacement. Failure to do so can result in an unexpected financial loss at turn-in. If this is your case, let your insurer know that they will need to reimburse you for the loss of value due to aftermarket glass replacement.

OEM glass is cheaper because it is not as good in several ways. The internet is rife with complaints of poor fit, noise (acoustic glass), glass that is wavy or not flat, failure of things like auto wipers, radar cruise control, heads-up displays, and often the aftermarket glass is more brittle and prone to chips and cracks. If you decide to hold your insurer's feet to the fire over OEM glass, do it in writing and express concerns of safety and potential legal action should the use of aftermarket glasst leads to possible injury of occupants down the road. Do this in writing so that there is a documented record of your concerns. Remember that the windshield provides a major portion of your vehicles structural integrity during a rollover and that the glass acts as the backing plate for the passenger airbag deployment. Glass is a significant safety element of your vehicle.

Some insurance companies now offer an OEM parts rider for their policies.

Why is OEM glass so much more costly than aftermarket glass? Several reasons. One is because it is slow annealed. This is a time consuming process that leads to strong glass that is virtually stress free and more chip and crack resistant. It also is made to OEM specs while aftermarket glass is made to measurements made from an existing OEM windshield. Most aftermarket glass does not fit as perfectly as OEM glass. Even though it is often made by the same glass manufacturer, it is made in a different plant.

For my money, I'd pay the extra $500 to provide the added safety to my family and passengers in my vehicle. I would discuss these concerns in writing with my insurer.

Ask yourself and your insurer this question. If aftermarket glass was just as good as OEM, why do automakers not use it in their new vehicles. If they could save around $500 a windshield, this would add up to tens of millions of dollars in higher profit. The answer is clear, aftermarket glass is simply not as good or as safe.
You have no idea what you are talking about and you should not be a moderator.
Old 08-22-18, 05:37 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a brief search picks up these informative links: Believe what you chose.

http://www.carwindshields.info/winds...something-else

http://news.carjunky.com/repair-tips...s-aag101.shtml

https://glassdoctor.com/jacksonville...big-difference

https://info.glass.com/oem-vs-aftermarket-glass/

https://www.agrrmag.com/digital/2010/NovDec2010.pdf

http://autoglasssecrets.com/auto-gla...rmarket-glass/

https://www.glass.net/auto-glass-inf...oee-auto-glass

https://info.glass.com/oem-aftermarket-windshield-adas-calibration/

https://www.agrrmag.com/digital/2010/NovDec2010.pdf

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-22-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 06:10 PM
iolmaster
Racer

I stand by my comment.
Old 08-22-18, 09:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

???? Who is the moderator?

OEM is "better" no doubt, but will cost MORE for sure. I think the "MODERATOR" IS ON TRACT ON THIS ONE.

Originally Posted by iolmaster
You have no idea what you are talking about and you should not be a moderator.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-22-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 05:26 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by lexusrus
???? Who is the moderator?

OEM is "better" no doubt, but will cost MORE for sure. I think the "MODERATOR" IS ON TRACT ON THIS ONE.
Absolutely not true. I have an 06 SC430 that had the windshield replaced about 2 years ago. Other than the Logo there is absolutely no difference at all with the replacement. I mean none. PGW is what was put in and is the same manufacturer that makes the glass for the NA made RXs. So, how is that better? Other than it makes you feel better to see the Lexus logo.
Old 08-23-18, 10:11 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the windshield replaced today with pilkington aftermarket. Have not driven it yet. Some observation I had.

1. Glass may be a bit thinner but not much. Color is same.
2. 6 inch shade on top is lighter than what was in my original windshield.
3. Side rubber on all sides is different than what was on original windshield. Original windshield had better tight fitted rubber with no gap whatsoever. It also curved upwards. But aftermarket pilkington rubber is not that tight fit (it does fit well but not same as original one) or curve upwards. I hope this does not cause noise issues.

Other than above, I do not see anything different. I will update my observation after driving for next couple of days. if I see distortion or waviness, I will get it replaced with OE dealer glass.

Marking suggest it is DOT 177. So it could be from US or Mexico.

Last edited by allendsup2; 08-23-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 10:58 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by allendsup2
Got the windshield replaced today with pilkington aftermarket. Have not driven it yet. Some observation I had.

3. Side rubber on all sides is different than what was on original windshield. Original windshield had better tight fitted rubber with no gap whatsoever. It also curved upwards. But aftermarket pilkington rubber is not that tight fit (it does fit well but not same as original one) or curve upwards. I hope this does not cause noise issues.

Other than above, I do not see anything different. I will update my observation after driving for next couple of days. if I see distortion or waviness, I will get it replaced with OE dealer glass.

The rubber is part of the installers choice and not the glass manufacturer. They try to match the configuration as best they can. If there are gaps it is most likely the rubber trim sealer not the glass itself. It may have been different even if you had gotten an OEM windshield. I watched SafeLite install one years ago and they have many different rolls of gasket in the van with them.
Old 08-23-18, 11:32 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

The rubber is part of the installers choice and not the glass manufacturer. They try to match the configuration as best they can. If there are gaps it is most likely the rubber trim sealer not the glass itself. It may have been different even if you had gotten an OEM windshield. I watched SafeLite install one years ago and they have many different rolls of gasket in the van with them.
That rubber was attached to the glass itself and I think it was from Pilkington. May be RX 350 glasses are like that and come with pre-attached rubber siding. I checked another Lexus RX 350 in parking lot and that had Lexus Pilkington glass (OEM as Lexus was also etched). That has rubber similar to mine but fit was better. In my case passenger and top portion are fine (almost same as that OE). Driver side I can see very little gap between rubber and car frame. Though i think that will not cause any issue if glass has glued properly to the body.
Old 08-23-18, 12:36 PM
iolmaster
Racer

That rubber was attached to the glass itself and I think it was from Pilkington. May be RX 350 glasses are like that and come with pre-attached rubber siding. I checked another Lexus RX 350 in parking lot and that had Lexus Pilkington glass (OEM as Lexus was also etched). That has rubber similar to mine but fit was better. In my case passenger and top portion are fine (almost same as that OE). Driver side I can see very little gap between rubber and car frame. Though i think that will not cause any issue if glass has glued properly to the body.
Interesting! I have seen a number of windshields installed and none of them had any rubber attached when the installer took it out of the van. Must be something new. The latest one I have seen is the 06 SC430 I had done a couple years back. It had nothing on it when it came out of the protection packaging.
Old 08-23-18, 12:50 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Interesting! I have seen a number of windshields installed and none of them had any rubber attached when the installer took it out of the van. Must be something new. The latest one I have seen is the 06 SC430 I had done a couple years back. It had nothing on it when it came out of the protection packaging.
It is called Pinkington EZ Kool Ultra. Check out this link http://www.pilkingtonclearadvantage....e/EZKoolUltra. It seems they provide moldings too along with windshield.
Not sure if installer put the rubber in his shop and then brought it to me. He was supposed to pick the glass from pilkington warehouse and then come to me directly. So I thought glass came with pre-fitted molding.

Old 10-03-18, 11:14 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

So I ended up getting dealer glass installed. Aftermarket had waviness/distortion both side 2-4 inches from corner so it blurred whenever I was taking left/right turn. I called auto glass company and they agreed to replace it with dealer glass. I had to pay the difference though. Dealer glass is much better. No distortion.
Old 10-04-18, 09:31 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

We need somebody in the glass/windshield business to chime in on this topic. I'd like to know more about this huge difference in cost and what that represents? Glass itself, seals, different manufacturer, etc....
Old 10-04-18, 02:12 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by MellonC00
We need somebody in the glass/windshield business to chime in on this topic. I'd like to know more about this huge difference in cost and what that represents? Glass itself, seals, different manufacturer, etc....
In my case, aftermarket was from Pilkington and Dealer glass is also from Pilkington. Dealer glass had Lexus etched on it where after market did not. Same company but built in different factories as per DOT code. I think difference is quality control and specifications.
After market windshield is reverse engineered so it is close to factory glass but not same. They are cheap so I think it may have lesser quality control and sometimes bad ones also make it to market like the one I got. It does not mean that all aftermarket glass would be bad.
Dealer glass has lesser chances of distortion because of Quality control and exact factory specifications. But this also does not mean all dealer glass would be perfect.

Dealer glass would be better or equal to aftermarket so in the end, it is individual's call whether they want to spend extra money or not. Dealer glass is costlier because everyone wants to make profit. Dealership makes money out of it too.
Old 10-06-18, 11:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is if you have Lexus EXTENDED WARRANTY, you might want to replace with OEM glass.

Our 2013 LX570 had some issues with the auto rain sensor for the windshield wipers. The auto rain sensor just stopped working. But if I click the lever down another notch will activate the wippers. So it's not life and death situation. But still it's a feature nice to have working. Since we have a ZERO DEDUCTIBLE Lexus EXTENDED WARRANTY (the OEM WARRANTY is over), we brought it to the original Lexus dealership where we bought it from to fix it. The service advisor asked me THREE THREE separate times if my windshield is ORIGINAL!!! (first time in person, second time on the phone the next day, then again on the third day). I finally HAD to just TELL him to go to my LX570 and READ TO ME ON THE DRIVER SIDE LOWER CORNER "WHAT DOES IT SAY?". He "shippishly said it says LEXUS". DUH!!! I also asked him to get his BEST LEXUS MASTER TECH to examine if that OEM windshield is indeed the ORIGINAL FACTORY WINDSHIELD!! BC WE HAD NOT CHANGED THE WINDSHIELD!!!

SO on the fourth day it all got fixed.

I guess if I had some AFTERMARKET windshield, then they might blame on the AFTERMARKET winfshwind and will not Honor the repair of the auto rain sensor!!!???

In my case, aftermarket was from Pilkington and Dealer glass is also from Pilkington. Dealer glass had Lexus etched on it where after market did not. Same company but built in different factories as per DOT code. I think difference is quality control and specifications.
After market windshield is reverse engineered so it is close to factory glass but not same. They are cheap so I think it may have lesser quality control and sometimes bad ones also make it to market like the one I got. It does not mean that all aftermarket glass would be bad.
Dealer glass has lesser chances of distortion because of Quality control and exact factory specifications. But this also does not mean all dealer glass would be perfect.

Dealer glass would be better or equal to aftermarket so in the end, it is individual's call whether they want to spend extra money or not. Dealer glass is costlier because everyone wants to make profit. Dealership makes money out of it too.
Old 05-20-19, 11:31 PM
lgene
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can add my experience. Last year (Feb 2018), I had a chip in the windshield that soon became a crack and I had to replace the windshield. I replaced it with Lexus branded glass at the dealership. It was made by Pilkington and I had to pay the difference between the cost of branded glass and cost of generic glass that insurance covers. This year, almost exactly an year later, another incident caused the new windshield to crack. This time, I decided not to pay $650 from my pocket just to get a branded windshield. I cannot keep spending this kind of money every year. So I asked the insurance company to replace with non-branded glass. To my surprise, this time also, the replacement was Pilkington glass. There was no Lexus logo. Other than that, I could make out no difference. No extra road noise. If branded glass only lasts one year, I see no reason to pay $650 more every year just for the logo.
The following users liked this post:
Non (05-21-19)

Quick Reply: Original or aftermarket windshield?