RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Original or aftermarket windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 07:38 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lgene
I can add my experience. Last year (Feb 2018), I had a chip in the windshield that soon became a crack and I had to replace the windshield. I replaced it with Lexus branded glass at the dealership. It was made by Pilkington and I had to pay the difference between the cost of branded glass and cost of generic glass that insurance covers. This year, almost exactly an year later, another incident caused the new windshield to crack. This time, I decided not to pay $650 from my pocket just to get a branded windshield. I cannot keep spending this kind of money every year. So I asked the insurance company to replace with non-branded glass. To my surprise, this time also, the replacement was Pilkington glass. There was no Lexus logo. Other than that, I could make out no difference. No extra road noise. If branded glass only lasts one year, I see no reason to pay $650 more every year just for the logo.

Thanks for sharing, information like this is very useful for others!

The following users liked this post:
Hayk (10-22-21)
Old 08-09-20, 10:48 AM
theslavbg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
New owner of RX 350 -2014.
I recently replace the windshield.
Is this genuine glass or aftermarket one?
I don't see acoustic logo on in?
Can some of you upload pictures from their 20123-15 cars,please?
Thank you

Old 10-01-21, 03:45 PM
SC4004ever
Driver School Candidate

I haven't been to this Forum for a long, long time. I was directed to this thread by another source. I am returning and posting because I might really help someone, even save a life.

Do NOT buy aftermarket Windshield replacements for your Lexus, no matter how much you save.

A police officer in Miami told me that my (original, manufacturer) windshield had saved my life when a very large tree branch broke off a poorly maintained tree and smashed into my windshield, directly at the level of my face, business-end first.

I was driving my (now vintage) SC400, 45-50 MPH (within the posted speed limit). The windscreen shattered into thousands of tiny pieces but, instead of splintering, simply sagged inward, held fragilely together by whatever magic potion Lexus used in the manufacturing process..

I somehow managed to maneuver my beautiful vehicle to the side of the road using my side and rear view mirrors, relying on muscle memory for the process.

I was wearing sunglasses so the only (physical) injury I suffered was a series of tiny cuts to my face from small pieces of the glass (or whatever the material really was)..

I slowly drove into a large commercial parking lot and called the police and the Lexus emergency number (and a taxi after my baby was towed away).

The responding police officer walked the scene of the impact with me, looked at the size of the tree branch and at the windscreen which was still intact, if sagging in a few thousand tiny pieces. He said, "I see a lot of accidents. Believe me when I say I can tell manufactured from cheap s#!t on a luxury car. You are one very lucky dude. I'll be blunt...you'd be dead if the windscreen wasn't original." He then went into an explanation of how the material held together rather than splintered like glass...but I was going into shock and don't remember much of what he said.

A few hundred dollars can be the difference between life and death. Spend them.

Last edited by SC4004ever; 10-02-21 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-02-21, 04:02 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 433 Likes on 346 Posts

Sure wish the factory sunroof glass was constructed the same way as the windshield glass is. In late November 2019 the sunroof glass in my wife's 2015 RX350 exploded all over her and her elderly mother while they were driving about 35 mph through a residential neighborhood on a sunny morning. Hundreds of glass fragments rained down on them and my wife was very fortunate to ease the vehicle over to the side of the road without hitting something or being hit. Five minutes of Google research showed this to be a common problem among many makes and models of sunroofs as the glass has gradually gotten larger and thinner. There are multiple class-action lawsuits against Toyota/Lexus for this very issue. The local Lexus dealership pretended they had no knowledge of this issue and insisted that a rock must have magically fallen from the sky and broken her sunroof glass. What a bunch of liars.
Old 10-02-21, 12:27 PM
SC4004ever
Driver School Candidate

You're absolutely right. And, if you own your vehicle outright and are trying to sell it, a smart buyer will make you attest as part of the Sales agreement that all engine, drive train and chassis parts are original Lexus manufacture.
Old 10-22-21, 11:55 AM
loverx350
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield -Pilkington vs PGW

Need help to decide on which windshield brand should I buy.
I need to replace the windshield on my 2010 RX350. The factory original now is by Pilkington (see picture). I checked with Pilkington customer service and they provided 2 part numbers which may fit but stating a supply shortage. Apple Glass Shop told me the same and offer me the PGW OE. They said the side windows should be using PGW too (which I checked is true).
Question 1: Do we have any one with RX350 front windshield from Toyota factory using PGW instead of Pilkington? Is PGW as good as the Pilkington? Sticking with the original brand is my first choice but due to stock shortage, I can't wait too long because the crack is expanding from 1 inch to 8 inches long in two days.
Question 2: The original doesn't seem to have acoustic layer. I was quoted the PGW with acoustic layer ($45 more than the one without acoustic layer). Should I go with the acoustic layer? The car is already very quiet inside. Does paying for the extra layer makes any difference?
Question 3: I know the OE does not have Toyota/Lexus logo but the spec is the same as the one with logo on it. The "Aftermarket" may or may not be 100% exact fit and may be thinner, etc. However, the third glass shop that I called insist on no difference between the OE and Aftermarket glass. He says he is telling me this from his 24 years of experience in auto glass business. Is this guy trying to sell me some cheap aftermarket glass? Of course, he wouldn't disclose what brand he is using.

Old 10-23-21, 04:40 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 433 Likes on 346 Posts

Is your insurance company covering any of the replacement cost? If so, I would attempt to go as factory OEM as possible. You do not want to be stuck with a cheap windshield that may distort your vision in its various curved areas.
Old 10-23-21, 12:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

We recently had a windshield replaced on a 2010 RX450h. Even with a $0 glass deductible the insurance would not cover a factory windshield, they said I would have to pay the difference out of pocket. I was told that most insurance companies will not cover original glass unless the car is under 3 years old.We decided to go with aftermarket and had a PGW windshield installed. I'm happy with the glass and I didn't notice any issues after installation, although I'm not the driver so your mileage may vary. I also had a PGW windshield installed on my 98 ES300 at the same time and I'm happy with it. The only problem with the ES300 glass is it had a slightly different shape along the bottom passenger side that interfered with the the windshield cowl trim. I had to slightly modify the trim to fit snugly around the glass. I think that had more to do with the age of the car and them making one generic version for Camry, Avalon, ES300, etc. As for the RX, there were no fitment issues.

After speaking with multiple glass installers, I was told that if your car only has a rain sensor and nothing else, it's perfectly fine to use aftermarket glass. However if it's a new vehicle with lane departure sensors, front collision detection cameras, etc they strongly recommend to go to the dealer for official glass. In addition to the complexity with the glass, the camera systems have to go through calibration to work properly and these aftermarket installers do not have the right equipment for this, so they end up sending you to the dealer anyway.

Last edited by Hayk; 10-23-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-24-21, 08:20 PM
loverx350
10th Gear

No. The insurance deductible is $1000. It will be cheaper to pay it out of my own pocket. I want to stick with Pilkington because they make the windshield for the RX350 with the Lexus logo. Their OE is an identical glass with the same specifications but without the Lexus logo. I do not want to go with "Aftermarket" glass.
Old 10-24-21, 08:27 PM
loverx350
10th Gear

I have no need to replace it with a glass with Lexus logo on it. My first preference is Pilkington OE. The reason is the existing one is Pilkington made so I know for sure it will be 100% identical (only with the Lexus logo.) My second choice (if Pilkington does not have stock) is PGW. Right now, the side windows are made by PGW. I've checked on a few of RX350 3rd Gen on parking lots and all of them are using Pilkington for front windshield. One posting here mentioned RX350 assembled in US are using PGW front windshield instead of Pilkington. I am not sure if it is the case as I am in Canada.
Old 10-24-21, 09:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,553 Posts

The differentiation is Japan built vs. North America the glass is different. In what way I don't know.
Old 10-25-21, 04:38 AM
Phillib4
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to price a lower ded for comprehensive. Often times is not as great as you would think for 250ded or 100ded. Just lost another windshield last week and have had multiple star repairs. Broken roads and rock debris are rampant. Most companies will waive the ded if you repair star fracture before it runs and requires replacement. On collision $1000ded is fine. If I am at fault in accident I should be slapped.
Old 10-25-21, 09:12 AM
loverx350
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Phillib4
You might want to price a lower ded for comprehensive. Often times is not as great as you would think for 250ded or 100ded. Just lost another windshield last week and have had multiple star repairs. Broken roads and rock debris are rampant. Most companies will waive the ded if you repair star fracture before it runs and requires replacement. On collision $1000ded is fine. If I am at fault in accident I should be slapped.
Unfortunately, here in Toronto Canada, the insurance premium is outrageously high compares to our neighbor down south. $1000 deductible is the standard here. Lower is available but the annual premium will be a lot higher in return.
As in my case, it started with a stone chip when enroute to the cottage. Upon arrival, it already worsen to a one inch crack. There was no glass repair facility out in the cottage area. Two days later when arriving home, it expanded to 8 inches already!
Old 10-26-21, 03:29 PM
Leddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loverx350
Unfortunately, here in Toronto Canada, the insurance premium is outrageously high compares to our neighbor down south. $1000 deductible is the standard here. Lower is available but the annual premium will be a lot higher in return.
As in my case, it started with a stone chip when enroute to the cottage. Upon arrival, it already worsen to a one inch crack. There was no glass repair facility out in the cottage area. Two days later when arriving home, it expanded to 8 inches already!
Sounds like you need a new windshield. I opted to go aftermarket when I had my 09 and that was a big mistake.The glass seemed to have a haze to it, just wasn't crystal clear like the Lexus glass. Also in inclimate weather visibility was diminished as the window was always fogging up and the wipers couldn't seem to keep up. If you can, get the Lexus brand glass, there is a quality difference!
Old 10-28-21, 09:12 PM
loverx350
10th Gear

Default RX350 3-Gen : Factory Windshield Brand PGW or Pilkington

If you are in the US and have the 3-Gen RX350, can you tell me what is the make of your original windshield grass (ie. have the Lexus logo on it)?
The reason is I have to replace my windshield due to a long crack. In Canada. the OE glass is made by Pilkington but Pilkington customer service told me they have shortage in supply now. The auto glass shop recommend to go with PGW glass. I am not sure if I want the PGW because all the RX350 in the parking lot are using Pilkington for front windshield

. One posting here mentioned RX350 assembled in US are using PGW as OE instead of Pilkington. If that is the case, I am okay with using PGW as replacement. Remarks: all my side windows are PGW but not the front windshield though.

Quick Reply: Original or aftermarket windshield?