RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Original or aftermarket windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 08:42 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22
yes, made in japan.
It would make sense to use domestically available glass. Pilkington is North America company.

Salim
Old 05-08-17, 11:27 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all for the advices. I went with the aftermarket Pilkington glass. I've put 500 happy miles after replacement, there is no wraping or odd artifact.
I had mine replaced at Alfredo Autoglass of Corona, it took them only 1 day to order mine. The owner did the work very meticulously - just as he shows on the videos he did other cars on youtube. I had a long, nice chat with him while waiting for the glue to set; he's awesome.
Old 05-13-17, 09:19 AM
DocRT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pilkington is a UK company and Lamipane is a Japanese company. Both are now subsidiaries of NSG (Nippon Sheet Glass) so I expect both screens are the same.

I believe NSG now only use the Pilkington name on automotive glass so this is how both OEM and aftermarket screens will be badged.

Old 04-05-18, 03:32 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Adding a data point here.

I recently replaced my windshield also and found out that there are more than 6 different after market glass from the same Pilkington company. (the shop showed me the actual catalog with part numbers and all). Besides the different glass for the rain sensing wiper operation (that's different glass all together) the regular glass also has a variety. One key component that you can't see with naked eye with this thing called the Acoustic Laminate. They sell both kinds. Clearly the ones without the acoustic laminate are cheaper. But without it, you'd hear more of the outside world when you drive your car. The OEM's have the acoustic laminate in the glass, the shop says.

One final thing, Safelite manufactures its own glass. Enough said.
Old 04-05-18, 05:59 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Adding a data point here.

I recently replaced my windshield also and found out that there are more than 6 different after market glass from the same Pilkington company. (the shop showed me the actual catalog with part numbers and all). Besides the different glass for the rain sensing wiper operation (that's different glass all together) the regular glass also has a variety. One key component that you can't see with naked eye with this thing called the Acoustic Laminate. They sell both kinds. Clearly the ones without the acoustic laminate are cheaper. But without it, you'd hear more of the outside world when you drive your car. The OEM's have the acoustic laminate in the glass, the shop says.

One final thing, Safelite manufactures its own glass. Enough said.
Not sure why you would make a comment about Safelite like you did, but I am pretty sure they exited the manufacturing side of the business in August of 2016. they used to be made in North Carolina.
Old 04-06-18, 12:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So are these glasses all made in China or made in USA by a Chinese company? I remembered reading something about a Chinese company from China opened operations in one of the abandoned big three car factories. It's CEO (the BIG Chinese guy) still thinks he is operating in China and just not following (or so the story goes, not aware) of the many safety measures put in place in US factories.

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Not sure why you would make a comment about Safelite like you did, but I am pretty sure they exited the manufacturing side of the business in August of 2016. they used to be made in North Carolina.
Old 04-06-18, 12:22 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So are these glasses all made in China or made in USA by a Chinese company? I remembered reading something about a Chinese company from China opened operations in one of the abandoned big three car factories. It's CEO (the BIG Chinese guy) still thinks he is operating in China and just not following (or so the story goes, not aware) of the many safety measures put in place in US factories.
I think most OEM windshield for NA made automobiles are made in the US, Canada or Mexico (basically NAFTA country) because it doesn't make sense from a logistical or shipping standpoint to have them made overseas.

The cost of packing the windshields and glasses and then shipping it from China or Japan to the US and Canada would probably exceed the cost of manufacturing the windshield itself. Not to mention disruptions in the supply chain.

There are few manufacturers in NA for OE windshields and Pilkington is one of them, so Pilkington is probably the OE windshield.
Old 04-10-18, 09:46 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

No offense to Safelite fans. Just saying that nothing much to be said because I can't compare them to the glass I got.
Old 04-10-18, 09:50 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I'm told that they are made in the USA. The point I was making earlier is that indy shops or insurance authorized shop rarely even discuss with you what options you have. They say either dealer glass, which most insurance firms won't pay for, or attermarket from a reputable firm. My point, is that there are different grades of aftermarket glass and you have to ask for the difference between them. Otherwise, you will really end up with el-cheapo version of the windshield all made by the same Pilkington or Pittsburgh Plate and Glass company. Buyer beware.
Old 04-12-18, 04:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Several years ago when I was looking for a replacement windshield (totally out of pocket for me) for an old old car that I had. A glass shop in SoCal quoted me various types and prices varied widely. There was one version that was made in China for like under $200 INSTALLED!!! BUT THE SHOP TOLD ME NO WARRANTY AND FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT YOU WILL SEE DISTORTIONS!!! It was tempting, but I did not go for it.

Here is the article regarding the Chinese glass shop setting up shop in OH (a heavy union state). They shoulda set up shop in a state like MS like Toyota and Nissan had done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/b...ant-china.html

I'm told that they are made in the USA. The point I was making earlier is that indy shops or insurance authorized shop rarely even discuss with you what options you have. They say either dealer glass, which most insurance firms won't pay for, or attermarket from a reputable firm. My point, is that there are different grades of aftermarket glass and you have to ask for the difference between them. Otherwise, you will really end up with el-cheapo version of the windshield all made by the same Pilkington or Pittsburgh Plate and Glass company. Buyer beware.

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-12-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 06:29 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You really seem to have it in for these companies. First, it hasn't been called PPG for many years. It is now Pittsburgh Glass Works. Second, I have an SC430 and had the windshield replaced with PGW about two years ago. Absolutely no difference from the original Lexus. Without the logo you would never know the difference. I really think these blanket statements of what you perceive is low quality don't do us any good.
Old 04-14-18, 07:01 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The windshield for RX's with HUD, Heads Up Display have a very specific tapered laminate
to reduce double images from the projected screen. Just one more variation of glass to inventory!
The following users liked this post:
TheSnowman (07-18-18)
Old 04-15-18, 03:55 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The old saying is still true today: "You get what you paid for."

There are many EXCELLENT aftermarket windshield glass for autos these days. But with more complicated sensors and HUD what on the surface may look the same turns out NOT. Also must consider "acoustics" or sound deadening feature on these windshields these days...... On a noisy Jeep with big mud tires, it may not matter. But on a very quite Lexus, it matters.

You really seem to have it in for these companies. First, it hasn't been called PPG for many years. It is now Pittsburgh Glass Works. Second, I have an SC430 and had the windshield replaced with PGW about two years ago. Absolutely no difference from the original Lexus. Without the logo you would never know the difference. I really think these blanket statements of what you perceive is low quality don't do us any good.
Old 04-15-18, 06:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Some things to consider when considering a replacement windshield.

Your windshield is a major safety factor of your vehicle.

http://www.bestglass.com/faq.html#faq3

http://www.safewindshields.org

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-policies-and-oem-vs-aftermarket-parts
Old 07-17-18, 07:48 PM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Really sad service

Windshield or Windscreen - here's another trap for you never mentioned yet. Australia for a start = Wife caught a rock in the bottom center, below the wiper blades even, hardly a mark, but a crack soon started to go up and up and up. Perfectionist that she is, checked insurance, yes, covered for 1 windscreen per year. Calls them up as she is main name on insurance and roadside assistance as she is the main driver. Discussed about being heated or rain sensing, she said yes for rain but unsure about heating, no problem they said, found the model and number!

Appointment made, they came out, replaced, wife drives to work today. Calls me and says, Heads Up doesn't look right. I called them and pinned them down to saying they would not have done the replacement if they knew about the Heads Up, as that is Lexus Genuine ONLY. Basically they blamed her for not providing the correct information; even though we have to jump through all the hoops when filling in the insurance papers they don't bother to read that?

Called Lexus, genuine windscreen is $1,670.05 !!! What to do now?

Keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Original or aftermarket windshield?