RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Original or aftermarket windshield?

Old 07-17-18, 08:26 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Check out this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/855278-original-windshield-glass.html
The following users liked this post:
TheSnowman (07-18-18)
Old 07-18-18, 12:24 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Thanks for that mate, I did search but didn't find that thread, will catch up with the information there.

Insurance company may actually come good on this according to the short talk I had with my wife, more next few days!
Old 07-18-18, 12:44 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
The windshield for RX's with HUD, Heads Up Display have a very specific tapered laminate
to reduce double images from the projected screen. Just one more variation of glass to inventory!
Yes, this is a trap for the unwary, as I discussed in this thread here

Windshield

Hopefully insurance company will come good and supply genuine Lexus windscreen with HUD capabilities !!!
Old 08-18-18, 03:19 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX 350 Windshield replacement OEM or Aftermarket

I have 2013 Lexus RX 350 and I recently noticed a star shaped crack in windshield (dont know when and how it happened). It is under the drier wiper. Got it checked at Safelite and they said it is not repairable and I need to get windshield replaced. I am from Minnesota and my auto insurance has deductible of 1000$. Safelite quoted windshield replacement using after market part for 480$ (if done at home) or 430$ (if done at their shop). Parts, labor and tax included. If OEM part is used then it will cost 1200$. Safelite said after market windshield is almost same as OEM with same specification. As per them, this after market has acoustic layer also built in similar to OEM glass.

I called Lexus dealership but they don't do windshield work in their service center. They gave me a number of 3rd party auto glass company which they use and recommend. I will be talking to that company on Monday but it seems they may also offer after market and OEM.

Does anyone has experience with this? Is after market windshield ok? or Is it worth to spend 800$ more for OEM? I do not have auto rain sensing wiper.
Old 08-18-18, 06:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I had my windshield replaced with aftermarket about three years ago on my CT200h. The cost of going all out OEM was too much for that car in my opinion. Also CT200h is not all that quite as in other Lexi we own.......so the acoustic feature did not matter......I was going for leak proof and UV blocking which all aftermarket windshield got these anyway. So far no problems.

If my windshield needed replacement for like my LX570, RX450h, or RCF......I would insist on ALL OEM. But it's just me. Case in point.....on our old 2000 LX470, we insisted on OEM and we got OEM. But the shop was not familiar with LX (new model at the time and in a rural America).....we had terrible wind noise going at 50 mph+. Of course in an LX, we can hear it CLEARLY!!! At the time it was Safelite and took them literally 12 times!!! The final install was with THE OWNER of the shop standing next to the techs!! Safelite had to eat the cost, but this record stayed on the insuinsur database and I got asked why my windshield got replaced 12 times on the same LX in one year when I switched insurance. I told them and they verified and all ok. It's a hassle having to explain.....

Questions you may want to ask yourself:

1. How long are you gonna keeping the car? If you are getting rid of it in a year or so, I would not care to go all out OEM with the added cost.

2. Which brand aftermarket windshield? Mine was made by Pilkington which is excellent and they make a lot of the OEM windshields anyway.
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/aut...automotive-agr

3. Make sure the "color embedded" in the windshield is a match to your OEM. I remembered there were different "colors", blue vs green???
Also make sure if yours got a "heating elements" option at the bottom of the windshield, then to get a matching set. Mine had heating wire elements running at the bottom and electrical connections for deicing.......
Also if you got HUD, then you need to insist on OEM!!

4. Safelite is a national company with a good warranty. My CT200h was installed by them and no issues EXCEPT a year later I wrecked my CT200h with some front bumper and fender damage (windshield was OK).....At a major BIG Lexus dealership's body shop in SoCal, it only took the body shop literally 30 seconds to recognize that my windshield was NOT OEM and that the "rubber trims" was not put back in "exactly as OEM". I was told it is too late to redo. But I DID NOT have any leaks, so life goes on..... It's very sublet visually, but a trained eye was able to tell right away. So take close up pics all around your windshield and compare before and after.

5. Stay away from those cheap Chinese made windshields. You will know bc it's like under $200 installed. I was offered this option by a small mom and pop shop and was told there will be no warranty and there WILL BE DISTORTIONS when looking out from the driver seat!!! I was offered $169 installed. I looked at an example of it and said no. I guess if one is selling the car tomorrow or trading it in.....it's all good.

6. If it is near the wippers, then maybe not in your field of vision? Maybe you can live with it? So the "integrity" of the OEM windshield is preserved?

Good luck.

Originally Posted by allendsup2
I have 2013 Lexus RX 350 and I recently noticed a star shaped crack in windshield (dont know when and how it happened). It is under the drier wiper. Got it checked at Safelite and they said it is not repairable and I need to get windshield replaced. I am from Minnesota and my auto insurance has deductible of 1000$. Safelite quoted windshield replacement using after market part for 480$ (if done at home) or 430$ (if done at their shop). Parts, labor and tax included. If OEM part is used then it will cost 1200$. Safelite said after market windshield is almost same as OEM with same specification. As per them, this after market has acoustic layer also built in similar to OEM glass.

I called Lexus dealership but they don't do windshield work in their service center. They gave me a number of 3rd party auto glass company which they use and recommend. I will be talking to that company on Monday but it seems they may also offer after market and OEM.

Does anyone has experience with this? Is after market windshield ok? or Is it worth to spend 800$ more for OEM? I do not have auto rain sensing wiper.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-18-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 06:54 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I had my windshield replaced with aftermarket about three years ago on my CT200h. The cost of going all out OEM was too much for that car in my opinion. Also CT200h is not all that quite as in other Lexi we own.......so the acoustic feature did not matter......I was going for leak proof and UV blocking which all aftermarket windshield got these anyway. So far no problems.

If my windshield needed replacement for like my LX570, RX450h, or RCF......I would insist on ALL OEM. But it's just me. Case in point.....on our old 2000 LX470, we insisted on OEM and we got OEM. But the shop was not familiar with LX (new model at the time and in a rural America).....we had terrible wind noise going at 50 mph+. Of course in an LX, we can hear it CLEARLY!!! At the time it was Safelite and took them literally 12 times!!! The final install was with THE OWNER of the shop standing next to the techs!! Safelite had to eat the cost, but this record stayed on the ibsuinsur database and I got asked why my windshield got replaced 12 times on the same LX in one year when I switched insurance. I told them and they verified and all ok. It's a hassle having to explain.....

Questions you may want to ask yourself:

1. How long are you gonna keeping the car? If you are getting rid of it in a year or so, I would not care to go all out OEM with the added cost.

2. Which brand aftermarket windshield? Mine was made by Pilkington which is excellent and they make a lot of the OEM windshields anyway.
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/aut...automotive-agr

3. Make sure the "color embedded" in the windshield is a match to your OEM. I remembered there were different "colors", blue vs green???

4. Safelite is a national company with a good warranty. My CT200h was installed by them and no issues EXCEPT a year later I wrecked my CT200h with some front bumper and fender damage (windshield was OK).....At a major BIG Lexus dealership's body shop in SoCal, it only took the body shop literally 30 seconds to recognize that my windshield was NOT OEM and that the "rubber trims" was not put back in "exactly as OEM". I was told it is too late to redo. But I DID NOT have any leaks, so life goes on..... It's very sublet visually, but a trained eye was able to tell right away. So take close up pics all around your windshield and compare before and after.

5. Stay away from those cheap Chinese made windshields. You will know bc it's like under $200 installed. I was offered this option by a small mom and pop shop and was told there will be no warranty and there WILL BE DISTORTIONS when looking out from the driver seat!!! I was offered $169 installed. I looked at an example of it and said no. I guess if one is selling the car tomorrow or trading it in.....it's all good.

6. If it is near the wippers, then maybe not in your field of vision? Maybe you can live with it? So the "integrity" of the OEM windshield is preserved?

Good luck.
Thanks.

I will be keeping the car for another 6-8 years I think. How can i find out the embedded color in the windshield? Safelite after market has blue I think. I am not sure about after market company but I believe it could be by safelite themselves.

I am not sure if I can keep the current windshield. Although I can not even see it while driving but Crack is bad. I can feel top layer glass shattered (attached photo). It may cause trouble at high speeds or if I get into crash.

The OEM is also not from Lexus dealership. Not sure if auto glass guys gets it from Lexus or somewhere else. I will definitely not go for chinese cheap windshield.

Old 08-18-18, 06:57 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

NO WAY IT'S YOUR WIFE OR YOUR FAULT!!

IT IS THEIR BUSINESS TO KNOW. I mean they had the vehicle with the VIN numbers in full disclosure when you took the vehicle to them. IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. IT IS THEIR PROBLEM TO KNOW AND REDO IT TO MAKE IT RIGHT!! I would go to a different shop and get it done at no additional cost. Let them work out the cost between the insurance company!!!

Question: .So you go in for a total knee replacement at the hospital. After the orthopedic surgeon had put in the knee replacement, you discover now your affected leg is TEN inches longer (I'm exacerbating it. But you get the picture). So the orthopedic surgeon now blames you for NOT TELLING HIM WHAT HARDWARE TO USE? Please give me a break!!!!

Originally Posted by TheSnowman
Windshield or Windscreen - here's another trap for you never mentioned yet. Australia for a start = Wife caught a rock in the bottom center, below the wiper blades even, hardly a mark, but a crack soon started to go up and up and up. Perfectionist that she is, checked insurance, yes, covered for 1 windscreen per year. Calls them up as she is main name on insurance and roadside assistance as she is the main driver. Discussed about being heated or rain sensing, she said yes for rain but unsure about heating, no problem they said, found the model and number!

Appointment made, they came out, replaced, wife drives to work today. Calls me and says, Heads Up doesn't look right. I called them and pinned them down to saying they would not have done the replacement if they knew about the Heads Up, as that is Lexus Genuine ONLY. Basically they blamed her for not providing the correct information; even though we have to jump through all the hoops when filling in the insurance papers they don't bother to read that?

Called Lexus, genuine windscreen is $1,670.05 !!! What to do now?

Keep you posted.
TheSnowman (08-21-18)
Old 08-21-18, 12:25 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrus
NO WAY IT'S YOUR WIFE OR YOUR FAULT!!

IT IS THEIR BUSINESS TO KNOW. I mean they had the vehicle with the VIN numbers in full disclosure when you took the vehicle to them. IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. IT IS THEIR PROBLEM TO KNOW AND REDO IT TO MAKE IT RIGHT!! I would go to a different shop and get it done at no additional cost. Let them work out the cost between the insurance company!!!

Question: .So you go in for a total knee replacement at the hospital. After the orthopedic surgeon had put in the knee replacement, you discover now your affected leg is TEN inches longer (I'm exacerbating it. But you get the picture). So the orthopedic surgeon now blames you for NOT TELLING HIM WHAT HARDWARE TO USE? Please give me a break!!!!
All good mate, they did replace the first windscreen at no cost. I think I updated the other thread but not this one, sorry about that. I have been meaning to follow up with them to check if they have updated the question checklist for when customers call in!

PS: I have had 1 (left) TKR and it's great too
Old 08-22-18, 07:59 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

My insurance statefarm rejected the claim which glass company submitted for dealer glass (OEM). Now I have two options.

1. Go with Pinkington aftermarket glass where I won't need to pay anything (covered by insurance 100%).
2. or Pay 500$ additional from my pocket for dealer glass (rest covered by insurance).

I am now confused which one to pick. Paying 500$ does not make sense if dealer glass is not much different than Pilkington Glass.
Old 08-22-18, 09:19 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

My insurance statefarm rejected the claim which glass company submitted for dealer glass (OEM). Now I have two options.

1. Go with Pinkington aftermarket glass where I won't need to pay anything (covered by insurance 100%).
2. or Pay 500$ additional from my pocket for dealer glass (rest covered by insurance).

I am now confused which one to pick. Paying 500$ does not make sense if dealer glass is not much different than Pilkington Glass.
Do you have HUD - Heads Up Display on the windscreen? And do you use it every time you drive?

If so, be prepared to see double if you go with anything other than genuine Lexus glass

That would be the only difference than I would be concerned about
Old 08-22-18, 09:31 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheSnowman
Do you have HUD - Heads Up Display on the windscreen? And do you use it every time you drive?

If so, be prepared to see double if you go with anything other than genuine Lexus glass

That would be the only difference than I would be concerned about
Thanks.

I do not have heads up display so that is not the concern. I am concerned about distortions or waviness or if aftermarket blocks same amount of noise like lexus glass.
Old 08-22-18, 09:42 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Thanks.

I do not have heads up display so that is not the concern. I am concerned about distortions or waviness or if aftermarket blocks same amount of noise like lexus glass.
I'll leave others to comment further but as far as I know, Pilkinton have a great reputation in Australia

My wife says I'm half deaf so can't help with noise concerns either, good luck
Old 08-22-18, 10:35 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

The NA built RX that I have (2015) uses PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). This used to be called PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass). You can get that aftermarket. I know because that is what is in my SC430 as a replacement. No different than the OEM.
allendsup2 (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 01:58 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If your vehicle is leased, check you lease agreement carefully as most require OEM windshield replacement. Failure to do so can result in an unexpected financial loss at turn-in. If this is your case, let your insurer know that they will need to reimburse you for the loss of value due to aftermarket glass replacement.

Aftermarket glass is cheaper because it is not as good in several ways. The internet is rife with complaints of poor fit, noise (acoustic glass), glass that is wavy or not flat, failure of things like auto wipers, radar cruise control, heads-up displays, and often the aftermarket glass is more brittle and prone to chips and cracks. If you decide to hold your insurer's feet to the fire over OEM glass, do it in writing and express concerns of safety and potential legal action should the use of aftermarket glasst leads to possible injury of occupants down the road. Do this in writing so that there is a documented record of your concerns. Remember that the windshield provides a major portion of your vehicles structural integrity during a rollover and that the glass acts as the backing plate for the passenger airbag deployment. Glass is a significant safety element of your vehicle.

Some insurance companies now offer an OEM parts rider for their policies.

Why is OEM glass so much more costly than aftermarket glass? Several reasons. One is because it is slow annealed. This is a time consuming process that leads to strong glass that is virtually stress free and more chip and crack resistant. It also is made to OEM specs while aftermarket glass is made to measurements made from an existing OEM windshield. Most aftermarket glass does not fit as perfectly as OEM glass. Even though it is often made by the same glass manufacturer, it is made in a different plant.

For my money, I'd pay the extra $500 to provide the added safety to my family and passengers in my vehicle. I would discuss these concerns in writing with my insurer.

Ask yourself and your insurer this question. If aftermarket glass was just as good as OEM, why do automakers not use it in their new vehicles. If they could save around $500 a windshield, this would add up to tens of millions of dollars in higher profit. The answer is clear, aftermarket glass is simply not as good or as safe.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-22-18 at 05:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jfelbab:
allendsup2 (08-22-18), SC4004ever (10-02-21), TheSnowman (08-24-18)
Old 08-22-18, 02:12 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If your vehicle is leased, check you lease agreement carefully as most require OEM windshield replacement. Failure to do so can result in an unexpected financial loss at turn-in. If this is your case, let your insurer know that they will need to reimburse you for the loss of value due to aftermarket glass replacement.

OEM glass is cheaper because it is not as good in several ways. The internet is rife with complaints of poor fit, noise (acoustic glass), glass that is wavy or not flat, failure of things like auto wipers, radar cruise control, heads-up displays, and often the aftermarket glass is more brittle and prone to chips and cracks. If you decide to hold your insurer's feet to the fire over OEM glass, do it in writing and express concerns of safety and potential legal action should the use of aftermarket glasst leads to possible injury of occupants down the road. Do this in writing so that there is a documented record of your concerns. Remember that the windshield provides a major portion of your vehicles structural integrity during a rollover and that the glass acts as the backing plate for the passenger airbag deployment. Glass is a significant safety element of your vehicle.

Some insurance companies now offer an OEM parts rider for their policies.

Why is OEM glass so much more costly than aftermarket glass? Several reasons. One is because it is slow annealed. This is a time consuming process that leads to strong glass that is virtually stress free and more chip and crack resistant. It also is made to OEM specs while aftermarket glass is made to measurements made from an existing OEM windshield. Most aftermarket glass does not fit as perfectly as OEM glass. Even though it is often made by the same glass manufacturer, it is made in a different plant.

For my money, I'd pay the extra $500 to provide the added safety to my family and passengers in my vehicle. I would discuss these concerns in writing with my insurer.

Ask yourself and your insurer this question. If aftermarket glass was just as good as OEM, why do automakers not use it in their new vehicles. If they could save around $500 a windshield, this would add up to tens of millions of dollars in higher profit. The answer is clear, aftermarket glass is simply not as good or as safe.
Pilkington also makes OEM glass for lexus RX 350. I checked some of the RX 350 which had Lexus pilkington on them. Question is whether there is difference in quality for Pilkington OEM and Pilkington aftermarket. That is what my confusion is. Dealer generally charge more to make more profit. So is it possible that dealer OEM glass is costlier because of profit markup and not because cost is more. What if pilkington provides same glass but it is costlier when Lexus is etched on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Original or aftermarket windshield?