RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

replacing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 05:20 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts
Default replacing brake fluid

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but as someone who almost always follows the recommended service schedule, is it really necessary to replace the brake fluid after 30 months/30k miles?

I drive in normal conditions (2013 RX 350) and this seems kind of premature, especially since
my mileage is only around 25k. (But close to 30 months).

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-15, 06:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

You can buy a fluid test strip from amazon for $9 or have a repair shop test it for you. Save the receipt for warranty purposes.
Old 07-13-15, 06:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll let real mechanics reply with their opinion and an under-the-hood POV.

As a driver and non-mechanic that does not put even 7K miles on either of my vehicles each year, I personally go with the recommended service schedule, frankly to maintain the warranty and ensure that never becomes a question or possible reason for messing-up my high-expectation for continued reliability in my vehicles. Fortunately, my Lexus SA helps push appropriate service out to the maximum so I'm not doing a bunch of crazy stuff because of time alone. He tends to customize my service each time I go in, off of what the standard recommendation pops up with -- e.g. I won't do the official 15K service (including the infamous $70 cabin filter) on my present 3-year old 2013 RX450h until it's 4 years old, but have been doing annual oil changes, checks and tire rotations since delivery (and pushed out the free 10K service to the maximum time that I'd still get it for free, and I suspect the dealership would still get reimbursed for it via the factory warranty).

Now, OTOH, my 2-year old MBZ with less than 5K miles had it's $500+ "Service B" (i.e. every-other-year standard service) done last month to the dismay of my credit card, which included a brake flush and replacement of the cabin filter as nutty as both of those seem to me with my low mileage ...but after talking to two different MBZ dealerships, I came to the conclusion I needed to continue doing the annual Service A (oil change/checks) and alternate with the larger Service B on time or miles -- whichever comes first, just as it says in the owner's manual -- to maintain my warranty and factory extended warranty as I'll likely be keeping my toy for 6-8 years...

My point with this is, try to develop a relationship with your Lexus SA. Like some others on these boards, I have found several good Lexus SAs over the years that IMO, work with me, not against me to do the service that is really required -- not just what the book or some profit-monger says. I've not been so fortunate yet on the MBZ front, and never was with BMW in my 2-years of former ownership.
Old 07-13-15, 07:09 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Good stuff, thanks. Unfortunately my closest Lexus dealer is 170 miles away, and I will only say that I have some serious trust issues with them, so I've been going to a local Toyota dealer who, so far, has been absolutely outstanding in every respect. But obviously if I need warranty work, it's back to Lexus I must go.

I also only drive the car about 10k miles/yr and plan to keep it for 10-12 years so I want to be
thorough and preserve the warranty, it's just that brake fluid replacement at this point seems
premature.

Any idea of what that costs? If it's relatively inexpensive, i'll go with it. If not, I may try the
test strip route.

I'm certainly ultra cautious with the oil changes, that stuff is crucial.
Old 07-13-15, 07:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

In reality/probability, your warranty would be long expired before any corrosion issues in the brakes show up. This makes the warranty concern moot IMHO. Certainly following the schedule would promise no concern but you've expressed a reasonable doubt about it's necessity and concern for costs. You can't have it both ways.
Because you expect to keep the car a long time, a shop's test of the fluid is the next best step in deciding. Toyota can certainly handle this test and tell you how much they charge for a flush. Keep up the proactive thinking!
Old 07-13-15, 10:53 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

The reason for the recommendation is that brake fluid is really good at absorbing water from the air, even just the small pocket of air under the refill cap. Brake fluid, by design, provides very low compressibility at very high temperatures caused my normal brake usage. As water accumulates in the fluid, high temperatures will cause vapour to bubble out. which increases the compressibility, causing performance to drop and brake pedal to feel more spongy.

In theory, most cars should have the fluid replaced every couple of years to maintain optimal performance regardless of the distance driven. In real world experience a lot would depend on your own situation, local climate, traffic, driving style, etc.

The RX (IMO) probably has this included as it is seen as a premium vehicle so it's not upsetting for an owner to invest more into it's upkeep, but for lower cars like a Corolla, it may appear to average buyer that the vehicle requires more service to maintain reliability even though it could benefit as well from the occasional fluid change, so it's not listed.

Last edited by Droid13; 07-13-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-14-15, 06:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Droid13 is correct about the need to replace brake fluid because as it absorbs moisture you risk corroding and damaging expensive brake components such as the ABS system controller, calipers and master cylinder. Any competent independent mechanic can do a brake system fluid flush. I recently had mine done by a local chain called Curry's Auto Service for $150 when I was getting new tires from Tire Rack installed. You could probably find it for even less.
Old 07-14-15, 07:26 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Great info from you guys, thanks. I think the prudent thing to do is ask the Toyota dealer to
test the brake fluid, and if that comes out OK, I see no good reason not to delay fluid change
until my next service (and another test of the brake fluid). This approach would seem to preclude damage due to water in the fluid...