RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Shocks Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 08:04 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

same thing on my 2010, started leaking around 40k miles and apparently its a very common issue with RX family. My are leaking very little so i have yet to replace them, no discomfort or anything during the ride, whether its a bumpy road or high speed maneuvering through traffic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ocks-leak.html
Old 10-23-15, 08:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks Yurka. I've merged the threads.

pasica, sorry to hear you're having this problem. Are you still under warranty?
Old 10-23-15, 08:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pasica
How can the rear shocks on a 2011 RX350, with 38K be leaking? Is this Lexus quality?

Should I buy OEM shocks, since they are so bad, or go for an after market brand? any suggestions?

Thank you
Lexus doesn't build them per se. They get parts from OEM suppliers built to their specifications.
They do put certain conditions in their contract, such as x number of failures per set number of units.
So, if their supplier does not deliver, they will switch to the one that will. In order to stay competitive, they also put a cost reduction in place with each iteration. That may end up being counter-productive.
Considering this is a $35 part, this might explain it.

Good news, these are actual shocks, not struts, so no messing with spring compressors and strut disassembly.

The condition itself is not critical and can be taken care of at any time. The car will simply ride bouncier in the back.

I did notice there being 2 sets of part numbers. So, the newer version might have resolved this problem.

Looks like KYB has a set of shocks available:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...utoModClar=AWD

However, they may be the OEM suppler to begin with. And I believe Toyota does requests their suppliers to provide non-EOM shocks with 10% more stiffness.
Old 10-23-15, 12:33 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Monroe also makes replacement shocks and struts for the RX under their OE Spectrum line. I think Monroe and KYB may be the only 2 brand name suppliers. I do think KYB is the OEM supplier. I did see some no name really cheap replacement shocks & struts on eBay, but would not put them on my car.

The Monroe struts look like they may be a good alternative if they last as they have had good reviews on some BMW forums. http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/OESpectrum/Struts

TWIN TECHNOLOGY™ TUNED FOR EXCEPTIONAL CONTROL
The Monroe® OESpectrum® struts feature our latest, global, original equipment valving technologies for domestic and foreign nameplate applications. Monroe OESpectrum units provide an unprecedented level of handling precision and control while filtering out ride harshness. This unique blend of control and comfort is made possible through Tenneco’s Twin Technology™ Active Control System, an exclusive internal damping control technology.

Tenneco’s Twin Technology™ consists of the latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), delivers exceptional control by regulating the flow of fluid which helps control vehicle roll and isolate road impact, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration, and harshness experienced with rough, bumpy road conditions. Our best ride ever,
Old 10-23-15, 04:40 PM
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear passenger shock needed to be replaced at the 83k km (51,000 miles) mark (warranty ended at 80k and dealer didn't do anything, even though it was that close!)
Old 03-21-18, 09:45 PM
DB11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock leak picture

Assuming you all are talking about this? Just bought this used last week and I see this already; 40K miles on it Not expensive to get it fixed? Will the fluid stain the driveway?
Old 03-23-18, 08:03 AM
Clutchless

That photo does not look like the rear shock for an RX350. Maybe if it was the European model with air suspension. What make-model vehicle did you buy?

Here is a link of a typical rear shock that is leaking. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html scroll down for the rear shocks pics

I would get professional help, if you just bought it, take it back and make them fix it as they obviously sold it to you defective and should have caught and fixed it before sale. Replace both rear shocks.

You can clean your driveway up with any of the many oil removing driveway cleaner chemicals available at any auto parts store.
Old 03-24-18, 10:12 AM
HealP
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KYB vs OEM

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Lexus doesn't build them per se. They get parts from OEM suppliers built to their specifications.
They do put certain conditions in their contract, such as x number of failures per set number of units.
So, if their supplier does not deliver, they will switch to the one that will. In order to stay competitive, they also put a cost reduction in place with each iteration. That may end up being counter-productive.
Considering this is a $35 part, this might explain it.

Good news, these are actual shocks, not struts, so no messing with spring compressors and strut disassembly.

The condition itself is not critical and can be taken care of at any time. The car will simply ride bouncier in the back.

I did notice there being 2 sets of part numbers. So, the newer version might have resolved this problem.

Looks like KYB has a set of shocks available:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...utoModClar=AWD

However, they may be the OEM suppler to begin with. And I believe Toyota does requests their suppliers to provide non-EOM shocks with 10% more stiffness.
I had mine replaced with KYB.

They cost more than the Lexus shocks and my guess is that they are stiffer than the original.

I can't really say that with facts to back it up though.

If I could do it again I would just get the Lexus brand shocks.
Old 03-26-18, 07:07 AM
Clutchless

Other folks have had the opinion that the KYB shocks had a better ride than OEM.

I note that DB11 never responded to say what vehicle that photo is from.
Old 03-28-18, 02:40 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What i was told is that this is common faulty thing with RX and i had it done on my previous RX even without the warranty it was replaced at the dealer for free since it is something that is wrong on Lexus' end