Notices
RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement DIY

Old 11-19-17, 01:52 PM
droopy128
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement DIY

Haven't post for awhile and recently did a replacement of Struts and Shocks on a 2010 RX450h.. but it the same process as other RX in this gen model except for air suspension. I've also include pix of the process.

I use air impact for this and should be very simple for folk accustoms to wrenching, front and back takes me roughly 2 hours, it pretty simple and straight forward, then alignment after completed.

First off.. top hat nuts for the front struts are located under the plastic cover, with car on jack stand and wheel off..

item need to remove is the brake line holder piece (10mm), stabilizing bar and two nut/bolts at end of struts, then remove the top hat nuts, keep one there loosely so it doesn't drop, great if you have a helper, but you can do this by yourself, just hold strut while reach and remove the last top hat nut.

compress the spring, remove the strut bolt on the very top, then the break down below, notice the top hat have a marking so you know how it was align, but it only really fit in one way on the top hat to the car chassis, also notice the bearing, it didn't look like it need replacement but I change it anyway.

Slid off the old struts then slide in the new struts to align with spring ends where it sit on the strut, do the same for the top, once you have the top hat back on top, give it some wiggle by forcing down on the top hat onto the spring assembly, once there indication that you have enough thread showing, reinstall the top strut nut then tighten, release spring tension, then ready to be reinstall back on the car.

For the back shock, it very simple.. there're only two nut.. top and bottom, remove both nuts and remove/replace shock, reinstall.. that's it.

Top nut on shock

Bottom nut on shock

Replaced

Last edited by droopy128; 11-22-17 at 04:16 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by droopy128:
alisher (11-20-17), Clutchless (11-20-17), roy7777 (11-22-17), Sandi_k (03-08-19), Skier76 (11-29-17), ukrkoz (11-23-17)
Old 11-19-17, 11:24 PM
terryb111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet write-up!!!!

I wish there was lowering springs and shocks available.
Old 11-20-17, 11:57 PM
CaFobulous
Driver School Candidate

What part of the Bay Area are you at? Come over and help me do it. Will pay.
Old 11-22-17, 04:06 PM
droopy128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaFobulous View Post
What part of the Bay Area are you at? Come over and help me do it. Will pay.
i don't wrench for $ no more, gave up those days long ago ..just doing for family & friend.. but i can lend a hand if needed.. Eastbay (hayward/san leandro)
The following users liked this post:
paperthin (11-23-17)
Old 11-23-17, 12:35 PM
CaFobulous
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement DIY

Excellent! I'm actually in the same area more toward the Oakland border.

Where did you get your parts?

On a 2nd note, do you have parking sensors on your RX? Trying to add it but been looking for someone who has them to take measurements. I'm sourcing the parts from Ebay, etc.,
Old 11-23-17, 05:02 PM
droopy128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaFobulous View Post
Excellent! I'm actually in the same area more toward the Oakland border.

Where did you get your parts?

On a 2nd note, do you have parking sensors on your RX? Trying to add it but been looking for someone who has them to take measurements. I'm sourcing the parts from Ebay, etc.,
I got the KYB-G for the replacement, Rock Auto got decent price.. of the sensor you looking for, I think the OEM dimension is different from after market one on Ebay.

btw, I grew up in Oakland
Old 11-23-17, 08:32 PM
CaFobulous
Driver School Candidate

Excellent. Yeah I bought the OEM one...shopping for the wires now.

Ill PM you. Have a good rest of your Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-17, 09:06 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Droopy128,

Do you remember the torque on the 3 upper mountain nuts and the 2 lower mounting nuts.?
Old 11-28-17, 04:19 PM
droopy128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gampa View Post
Droopy128,

Do you remember the torque on the 3 upper mountain nuts and the 2 lower mounting nuts.?
Honestly, I haven't torpue you anything down for number of years when wrenching, gooes by feels and air impact, the last time i torque something is for head bolts.

but i think you should be fine about 30 f/lb for top three

for bottom two you should be good at 100-120 f/lb

Last edited by droopy128; 11-28-17 at 04:31 PM.
Gampa (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 09:10 PM
salimshah

Received 290 Likes on 281 Posts

For RX450H

Top 3 nuts 63 ft-lbs [2 are type A and one is type B ... B needs to be in a specified location]
Lower 2 clamping bolts 214 ft-lbs
Stabilizer Link 55 lb-ft
Speed sensor 14 lb-ft
Top shock (center) nut 52 lb-ft
Wheel Lug nut 76 lb-fft

I would bounce the vehicle, without Torquing the fasteners and then torque them down.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-28-17 at 10:44 PM.
Gampa (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 06:00 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I envy those who live in warm, sunny climates like California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc. I live in the rust belt where nuts and bolts fuse together.... add the salt for the roads in the winter, and one has the whole under carriage rusting out.

Thank you to droopy128 and salim who answered. Once I install my Monroe Quick struts, I’ll post the results.
Old 11-29-17, 07:08 AM
salimshah

A day or two before disassembly, shoot PB-Blaster (or equivalent) on all exposed fasteners [bottom nuts and bolts]. Repeat.

Hammer tools are best to unfasten or a long breaker bar with 6 point sockets. Getting leverage is a problem when you work without lift.

Salim
Old 11-29-17, 09:33 AM
paperthin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah View Post
A day or two before disassembly, shoot PB-Blaster (or equivalent) on all exposed fasteners [bottom nuts and bolts]. Repeat.

Hammer tools are best to unfasten or a long breaker bar with 6 point sockets. Getting leverage is a problem when you work without lift.

Salim
In september I soaked mine for a week before. All four bolts on the rear were snapped off Of course I live just outside of Toronto. Oddly I expected problems from the front but they were no problem and went smooth.
Old 11-29-17, 03:00 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

During one segment of my previous life, not too many years ago, I used to test and sell industrial penetrating fluids. I really don't want to start a "best penetrating fluid" war, but I have a better solution for you (cheaper an smells better) than PB Blaster (or anything else you can buy at your local box store). Mix up a 50:50 solution of Acetone and ATF and apply liberally -- repeat daily for a week before beginning work.. I've heard from old mechanics all over the US who swear by it. There are some even better industrial grade penetrating fluids (Penetro-90, SiliKroil, Justice Brothers, etc.), but they are generally harder to come by, so I won't venture any further down that road. The old fashioned home-made stuff is much easier to come by and more effective than anything you can find in a box store.
Old 11-29-17, 06:05 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
During one segment of my previous life, not too many years ago, I used to test and sell industrial penetrating fluids. I really don't want to start a "best penetrating fluid" war, but I have a better solution for you (cheaper an smells better) than PB Blaster (or anything else you can buy at your local box store). Mix up a 50:50 solution of Acetone and ATF and apply liberally -- repeat daily for a week before beginning work.. I've heard from old mechanics all over the US who swear by it. There are some even better industrial grade penetrating fluids (Penetro-90, SiliKroil, Justice Brothers, etc.), but they are generally harder to come by, so I won't venture any further down that road. The old fashioned home-made stuff is much easier to come by and more effective than anything you can find in a box store.
Is care required for painted surface or rubber boots?

Salim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement DIY

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: