RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Shocks Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 10:59 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shocks Leak

So i had my car for full inspection, regular maintenance two weeks ago at the Lexus dealership, on saturday i went to the car shop nearby to get the state inspection sticker because my was about to expire. when the mechanic lifted my RX he said that my rear shocks were leaking and he said it was a common problem with RX family. I passed the inspection but he said shocks need to be replaced, he said i might drive for a month or for a year,he cant tell. I was wondering if anyone encountered such problem, my 2010 is at 48,000 miles, at the dealership they didnt tell me anything, nor my rear end is wavy, car feels perfectly fine, ive had my rear shocks replaced on my ES back in the day, but i felt that they were messed up, my rearend was dragging. He showed it to me and It looks like rear shocks are wet/leaky, but i dont see anything on the ground after i pull away for example. i dont know if dude was bull****ting me or its a legit problem, how do you tell if its gone bad or if its fine, maybe its something else, any input will be helpful
Old 06-01-15, 11:55 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Yup, it's a common issue that has been widely discussed. There are other threads in this forum where people have gone through multiple sets of rear shocks in a very short period.
Old 06-01-15, 01:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The ES has struts which carry the entire weight of the vehicle. The 3rd Gen RX has shocks which do not carry the weight of the vehicle, which is why you don't see the car sagging.

As mentioned above, leaking shocks on this car are a common problem. Luckily, shocks are cheap compared to replacing a strut.
Old 06-01-15, 01:52 PM
jdiron29
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yurka
So i had my car for full inspection, regular maintenance two weeks ago at the Lexus dealership, on saturday i went to the car shop nearby to get the state inspection sticker because my was about to expire. when the mechanic lifted my RX he said that my rear shocks were leaking and he said it was a common problem with RX family. I passed the inspection but he said shocks need to be replaced, he said i might drive for a month or for a year,he cant tell. I was wondering if anyone encountered such problem, my 2010 is at 48,000 miles, at the dealership they didnt tell me anything, nor my rear end is wavy, car feels perfectly fine, ive had my rear shocks replaced on my ES back in the day, but i felt that they were messed up, my rearend was dragging. He showed it to me and It looks like rear shocks are wet/leaky, but i dont see anything on the ground after i pull away for example. i dont know if dude was bull****ting me or its a legit problem, how do you tell if its gone bad or if its fine, maybe its something else, any input will be helpful
It is common for RX shocks to be slightly wet around the tube of the shock. As long as the fluid doesn't leak to the bottom of the shock mount, according to Lexus standards, they will not be recommended unless it affect performance/ride. If the rear end is not bouncing around or making noise when going over bumps, dips etc. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-01-15, 10:21 PM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to car-based CUV/SUV. It's a common problem with Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc, etc.
Old 06-02-15, 02:42 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had our '13 RX350 in to the local Toyota dealer for 24 month service and he noted a leaking FRONT shock. He contacted Lexus who shipped him the part and let him replace the shock (closest Lexus dealer is 150 miles away).

Perhaps it's better to have Toyota do the maintenance if they'll do this warranty work and Lexus just lets them leak for awhile before they will fix them?
Old 06-02-15, 04:48 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
The ES has struts which carry the entire weight of the vehicle. The 3rd Gen RX has shocks which do not carry the weight of the vehicle, which is why you don't see the car sagging.

As mentioned above, leaking shocks on this car are a common problem. Luckily, shocks are cheap compared to replacing a strut.
Weight is carried by the coil springs in both applications.
RX has a more conventional set-up with separate coil & shock, mounted independently of each other.
ES has strut suspension which is essentially a shock mounted inside the coil spring & the two share a common mounting configuration.
A vehicle with an end or a corner down has a coil spring problem. Wrong unit installed, broken coil or mounting hardware. Easy fix for a shop with a spring compressor, easier yet to replace the entire unit as an assembly. Have to remove the assembly from the car to change the spring. 4-5 nuts/bolts & that's it.
Old 06-03-15, 08:40 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

So past few days ive been trying to see if theres anything weird about my RX, i drove over many speed bumps and pot holes on purpose, shaky road and the car feels fine, nothing unusual, no weird sounds whatsoever, yesterday it was pouring rain, was speeding down the highway, swirly road, car holds the ground well in and out of turns, i supposed i shouldnt be concerned at the moment about them?
Old 06-03-15, 12:43 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

The hydraulic oil in the shocks will show just as a drop of oil in water. Seemingly everywhere but very little real volume. I doubt you will see any handling change in the car unless you start seeing puddles under the car where it's parked. No worries, get them changed when convenient for you.
Old 06-03-15, 10:48 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Well thats the thing, the mechanic got pretty surprised when he saw them, he was like oh they bad basically, youll need them fixed cuz idk how much longer youll be able to drive, they leak. i left my car sit on one spot and after a while i looked and i didnt see anything on the concrete. Is it expensive to get them replaced, should i contact lexus dealership or it would be better to order parts on my own and just stop by some car shop and get them installed for me?
Old 06-04-15, 07:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

They are just shock absorbers and can easily be installed by your local gas station repair shop. I bet their labor charge would only be an hour and it would actually only take them 30 minutes to replace them.
You can order replacements from http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-l...-absorber.html As you can see in the link, the factory shocks are only about $33 each. Note that you need to check your VIN to determine if you have a Japanese or Canadian built vehicle. Japanese has a J at the start of the VIN. The link is for the Canadian built. Backtrack through the site to select your vehicle.

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-04-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 07:15 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

The take away I got from the above posts was: if you replace the shocks, you may see the same thing happen again in short order, it's not broken, just showing some symptoms, wait until you are having some actual problem. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-04-15, 09:20 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

One of the easiest jobs for a DIY. I'm in Canada & paid a premium from Sewell last Fall due to the $$ exchange & duty. Still, out of pocket was under $75.00. Time was about an hour at home in my own garage.
Old 06-04-15, 10:08 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

That sounds good guys, thanks will get my hands on it once it starts bothering me as I ride
Old 10-23-15, 07:37 AM
pasica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RX350 rear shocks leaking

How can the rear shocks on a 2011 RX350, with 38K be leaking? Is this Lexus quality?

Should I buy OEM shocks, since they are so bad, or go for an after market brand? any suggestions?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Shocks Leak