GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-12-14, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Has anyone replaced their shocks yet?

Old 11-10-10, 07:14 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their shocks yet?

I have an '05 with approx 63k mi and recently I have noticed a difference in how my truck rides - I don't think it's pshycological, but who knows. It feels like the shocks and in particular the rear shock(s) feel a little mushier than usual and bumps in the road feel more harsh when I drive over them. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms before replacing their shocks?

I would think it would be premature to replace shocks on a 5 yr old truck with only 63k miles.
Old 11-10-10, 10:58 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the same; it almost feels like mine is bottoming out when going over a simple speed bump. My dad has a 2004 with about 100k on it and has changed his. I hear it is expensive. Ill ask him and try to get some more details.
Old 11-10-10, 01:13 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
I have an '05 with approx 63k mi and recently I have noticed a difference in how my truck rides - I don't think it's pshycological, but who knows. It feels like the shocks and in particular the rear shock(s) feel a little mushier than usual and bumps in the road feel more harsh when I drive over them. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms before replacing their shocks?

I would think it would be premature to replace shocks on a 5 yr old truck with only 63k miles.
I'm at 52k. I recently had one of my rears replaced under warranty because it was leaking. Now the rear feels slightly odd. I think this is as a result of the shocks being imbalanced.

So, I'm about to pony up for another rear shock ( $440ish at sewell ). Expensive for a shock, but relatively easy to DIY. The fronts are cheaper, but a PITA to install relatively speaking.

I'll report-back after I get the other rear shock installed.

The other thing I've briefly toyed with is replacing all of them with Bilstein HD's...
Old 11-10-10, 01:39 PM
cssnms
Racer

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I'm at 52k. I recently had one of my rears replaced under warranty because it was leaking. Now the rear feels slightly odd. I think this is as a result of the shocks being imbalanced.

So, I'm about to pony up for another rear shock ( $440ish at sewell ). Expensive for a shock, but relatively easy to DIY. The fronts are cheaper, but a PITA to install relatively speaking.

I'll report-back after I get the other rear shock installed.

The other thing I've briefly toyed with is replacing all of them with Bilstein HD's...
It's certainly disappointing that the GX shocks appear to be failing so early, esp at $440 a pop. I may call up Toyota and see what they are charging for the same part. Bilstein's came to mind when I started thinking about this. They have to be better than the crappy OEM shocks. I am curious if Bilstein makes a compatible shock given the GX's ride settings and adjustable rear suspension?

Has anyone else considered or installed aftermarket shocks?

Last edited by cssnms; 11-10-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 01:46 PM
cssnms
Racer

Went to Bilstein's website and unfortunately they don't make an OEM replacement for the GX.
Old 11-10-10, 05:18 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont you check what the prado guys are using? it seems as if the ome shocks are most popular among off roaders. I had some ome on my wrangler and they were nice.
Old 11-10-10, 06:11 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
why dont you check what the prado guys are using? it seems as if the ome shocks are most popular among off roaders. I had some ome on my wrangler and they were nice.
I've done a little bit of research. I think there are two paths:
1) use Bilstien HD's for the 4runner Limited, which they do make. I'd be shocked if they didn't bolt right up.
2) go w/the Bilstien's spec'd for the Prado VX? over in europe. I found a bit of info here:
http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/550.html

http://www.4wddirect.com.au/cgi-bin/...h&category=TP2

http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?...65f563#p127315

If I had more free time I'd be all over this... Work's too busy right now. Anybody want to be a guinnea pig?
Old 11-10-10, 06:50 PM
cssnms
Racer

These are all fine options but what about the impact on the ride adjustment feature or the ability to raise and lower the suspension. If you go aftermarket do you lose any of these capabilities?
Old 11-10-10, 08:49 PM
NCCSG91
Driver School Candidate

$440 for an air strut? That is a smooooking deal. I guess I feel that way from owning an X5 that had the two fronts go out at $1,200 each, also a $500 required recalibration. You guys might want to check out MileOneParts.com They have the rear air struts new at 249.76 per strut.
Old 11-11-10, 01:42 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cssnms
These are all fine options but what about the impact on the ride adjustment feature or the ability to raise and lower the suspension. If you go aftermarket do you lose any of these capabilities?
Both the 4runner Limited and the Prado VX (hope I've got this one right) have the rear air suspension...
Old 11-11-10, 01:44 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NCCSG91
$440 for an air strut? That is a smooooking deal. I guess I feel that way from owning an X5 that had the two fronts go out at $1,200 each, also a $500 required recalibration. You guys might want to check out MileOneParts.com They have the rear air struts new at 249.76 per strut.
It's not an air-strut per-se. It's a simple gas shock that's electronically adjustable for damping force. It's not the thing that raises & lowers the rear of the truck -- the airbags handle that for us.

Pretty freaking expensive for a shock, IMHO, though I give them some leeway due to the adjustability. The bizarre thing for me is the fact that the front struts are about 1/2 the price of the rear shocks. I typically see the opposite.
Old 11-11-10, 05:26 PM
NCCSG91
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you on that one... I also would think that airstrut would be crazy money.
Old 11-22-10, 10:00 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Normal stances, the shocks and struts are replaced when there are leaks, where the leaks begin from the spring seat and the seepage extends to the knuckle brackets and down to the casing. I hope this is not you case, if you do a visual inspection, you would judge that. If they are totally dry, then that's is not the case, you need to check the height control solenoids whereby moisture intrusion or salt ingression are causes known to not function to its full capability. And the primary cause of Bottoming out.
Old 11-22-10, 11:47 AM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

I also have an 05 Gx with about the same miles,a while ago my dealer changed the left shock and this was due to a noise. But the funny thing is I have the same feeling experience that you have but only when it is really cold. Took it to the dealer and they said everything is normal, I don't know if the tires air pressure is the cause but really you feel that the whole rear end hits the gound really hard like there is no suspension at all. I have to see if i will have the same experience this winter.
Old 11-28-10, 09:32 PM
jnlasvegas
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Shock absorbers

Just changed mine this weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I would get them from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. got mine for 208 and shipping was cheap. You have to register here and then on their site for the additional discounts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their shocks yet?