RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Reset Nav Home

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 04:11 PM
WildWest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Reset Nav Home

I have moved and want to put a new home in the nav system. Does anyone know how to update home on the nav?
Old 08-19-14, 05:47 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WildWest
I have moved and want to put a new home in the nav system. Does anyone know how to update home on the nav?

Go to the "setup" screen.
Go to "home".
Delete "home".
Enter new "home".
Old 08-19-14, 07:58 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our dealer suggested that we not program our actual home address, but one a block away or so. If your car is stolen the thieves can use the nav system to drive "home" and then use the garage door opener to get into your garage and possibly your house. Made sense to me. We usually "Delete next destination." when we get within 10 or 15 miles from home just to quiet the system. We have not followed the nav system to the wrong house yet.
Old 08-19-14, 08:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
Our dealer suggested that we not program our actual home address, but one a block away or so. If your car is stolen the thieves can use the nav system to drive "home" and then use the garage door opener to get into your garage and possibly your house. Made sense to me. We usually "Delete next destination." when we get within 10 or 15 miles from home just to quiet the system. We have not followed the nav system to the wrong house yet.
I used to do the same thing but realized the registration, etc I carry in the glovebox have the home address on it. Guess I could hide them in the spare tire or something
Old 08-19-14, 08:16 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not just thieves.
I had my girlfriends house programed and then my wife drove the car.
Now my ex-wife has the house and the car.

(p.s. when labeling destinations in the Nav system do not use 'girlfriend' )
Old 08-19-14, 09:07 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
It's not just thieves.
I had my girlfriends house programed and then my wife drove the car.
Now my ex-wife has the house and the car.

(p.s. when labeling destinations in the Nav system do not use 'girlfriend' )
Yeah, label it correctly. Mistress 1, mistress 2
Old 08-19-14, 10:19 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I used to do the same thing but realized the registration, etc I carry in the glovebox have the home address on it. Guess I could hide them in the spare tire or something
Good point about the registration. Proof of insurance also. I guess the weak link here is the garage door opener and not the nav system. I've never had a personal car stolen (rental car in Hawaii several years ago, long story) so the risk is not real high. Still, something to think about.
Old 08-19-14, 10:31 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom558
Dealer entered street name and no #. That's a real pain - since system never ends route guidance - necessitating manual "delete". So I re-did it with address. The chance of a smart key fob RX getting stolen is near zero.
Old 08-19-14, 10:49 AM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've never understood why people keep the registration and insurance info inside the car.

I keep all that, along with my driver's licence, in my wallet. In this way there is nothing self-identifying left in the car.
Old 08-19-14, 01:03 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
I've never understood why people keep the registration and insurance info inside the car.

I keep all that, along with my driver's licence, in my wallet. In this way there is nothing self-identifying left in the car.
Because most families have other members drive their vehicles too.
So following your idea, ALL members of our family need to carry 8 registration copies and 8 insurance cards...that's going to be a thick one.

AND chances of losing a wallet is higher than the car being stolen.
And chances of the car thief going to your house to steal some more is really close to impossible..
Normal scenario is, thieves will invade your house FIRST, then take your cars when they find the keys inside.

Anyway, I have an electronic copy of my car insurance in my iphone. Just incase i forget to put the new card inside the car.
And in CA that is acceptable form.

Last edited by markrivers; 08-19-14 at 01:09 PM.