RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Still Waiting for Special Order (Request)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 02:07 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still Waiting for Special Order (Request)

It has now been three months since we put our request in for the wife's RXh and no luck. I spoke with the dealer today and they still have not received any hits on a Deep Sea Mica w/ Light Grey. I even called Lexus directly today, but after being on hold several times and talking with two different representatives, the best they could tell me is to work with my local dealer.

I did search the dealer inventories for numerous dealers on the east coast using the new car inventory feature. I found the exact one I wanted but when I called the dealer they said they did not show that car in anyones inventory in the region. They also told me that the inventory system (run by Lexus, not the dealer) on the website is almost always wrong. To make matters worse, we are looking for a rare color combination on the lower selling version of the RX.

I am extremely frustrated at this point. How long should this process take? At this rate we will be into the 2014 model year. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 04-16-13, 02:20 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Get a '14. It's smarter to do at this point or compromise. I'm the type that would rather get what I want so plan for a '14 in August September maybe.
Old 04-16-13, 03:47 PM
BertL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, I'm a little confused. Did you put in a real special order with a deposit and have your dealer place that order into their system to obtain a build date -- OR -- are you hoping they'll find the configuration you're looking for somewhere in the US? If the latter, it's a crap shoot as to when you may have delivery. If the former, I think I'd press your dealer for WHEN does their system show a projected build date ... If it does not have one, then I would agree with the previous poster that you may be stuck between MYs some way or other with options, colors, or how the factory is building the '14s. I've been in that position a couple of times, and know its not fun to be stuck.

...FYI, a true special order where the dealer has really ordered your configuration will take 3-5 months from my personal experience, unless you're stuck with a parts constraint or between MYs as I previously explained.

GOOD LUCK. Hang in there!

Last edited by BertL; 04-16-13 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added FYI
Old 04-16-13, 04:58 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Bert,

They did not take a deposit. They submitted a build request which asks Lexus to allocate a specific build of a vehicle when it goes to production. The way they explained it was once they receive a build sheet confirming the vehicle and options, they would request a deposit.
Old 04-16-13, 05:53 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
Bert,

They did not take a deposit. They submitted a build request which asks Lexus to allocate a specific build of a vehicle when it goes to production. The way they explained it was once they receive a build sheet confirming the vehicle and options, they would request a deposit.
Interesting. I've special-ordered multiple Lexus from multiple dealers over the years and never had that approach. I've always agreed to what options I wanted, agree to a price, put down a fully-refundable deposit, and the dealer puts in the order becoming my advocate to deliver what I desire.

My suggestion is, tell your dealer you have been patient now 3 months waiting for a build date, but really need them to be more proactive with Lexus HQ and have whoever the person at the dealership that places special orders, call their connection and find out what the hang up is. If it is a particular option (as was the case with my 2012 order), then let you know that so you can make a decision, or of if you should pull your order and wait for the 2014, you want to make that decision as well. Time to be a little less of a nice guy with your dealer, I think. I'm more than a "Mr. Nice Guy", or at least try to be most of the time with everything I do, but my dealer went to bat for me at month 4 when their original delivery estimate to me was late and proactively figured out with Lexus (after multiple people were engaged without my encouragement) what was going on with my order... I know it took them a lot of leg work as Lexus systems are not designed to do the "build to order" model than German brands are, but I always felt my dealer was on my side -- trying to get me what I wanted, as soon as it could be delivered. Yours sounds like they are sitting back, coming across to you as helpless. They are not in control of Lexus per se, but some way, you need to get that same feeling I had from your dealer, or perhaps come to grips with what you want to do, as I did switching from a 2012 to 2013 special order, when I was caught between MYs and my dealer could finally let me know that my delay was because of one of my options combined with new MY about to be ramped-up. My whole experience gave me a lot of confidence in my dealer for sure, even though my end-to-end delivery time was soooooooo long at nearly 8 months. Not trying to scare you off with that!!! Hopefully your delivery time won't be as long, and you'll end up as happy as I am with my RX. It's everything I knew it would be, and 'll be happy for many years being an overly patient Lexus customer.

My suggestion nets down to, press your dealer a little more, so they press Lexus HQ on your behalf for more information. Go to another dealer and get a new deal going there if you are left with no other choice and can feel more comfortable they are your advocate, but try to feel like you're not completely at the end of the dog's tail so-to-speak.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! This Lexus special order thing isn't always simple or expedient, but in the end, if you want what you want, my experience is it's worth the wait to get what you'll get.

Last edited by BertL; 04-17-13 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added "fully refundable" to deposit statement
Old 04-16-13, 09:03 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Family RX, I'm on VA too (Northern) and Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria was happy to take a special order with no deposit required and no sales prices lock-in in advance. the sales manager was quite happy with the order - said he'd have no problem selling it if I didn't like it when it arrived.

Mine took about 4 months and I was able to negotiate about 5% off MSRP at delivery time for a loaded special-order 450h. I got exactly the car I want and am very happy to have gone the special order route.
Old 04-17-13, 03:11 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to the Sales Manager directly. Usually salesmen don't and can't do a lot, if you can take the SM you can push for a special build, the only reason dealerships don't like special ordering cars for customers is because it takes up room from their profit. The car that you spec is technically a one off in the options department, and chances are your dealer isn't going to order anymore in that spec, so they can't make a "wholesale" deal, meaning they probably have to pay the invoice price written on the spec sheet you see in the window on a dealer lot. Those sheets are printed by the dealer and if they order multiple cars in the same spec, they can get them significantly less than what they write on the sheet.

That may be why your dealer is "stalling". Another tidbit of information, there is not a big market/demand in the US for the 450h because of the price point, so there is probably many allocations for your build, they are just hoping that one shows up in your preferred spec. They want to do that because they want be able to give 8%-11% off the vehicle MSRP price, making you think you got a stellar deal and then you refer them to others, in reality they made a sizable profit off that car. If you think about it there is no point in selling a $60K-$70K car of your going to make the same profit as selling a car costing $15K-$25K...

Last edited by MjThind; 04-17-13 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Error
Old 04-17-13, 03:20 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I have a hard time seeing 8-11% off invoice price. The best I have seen is 2000 Off invoice. or 8-11% off of MSRP. In reality, anything more than 1000 off invoice = cutting their profit.
Old 04-17-13, 04:47 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I have a hard time seeing 8-11% off invoice price. The best I have seen is 2000 Off invoice. or 8-11% off of MSRP. In reality, anything more than 1000 off invoice = cutting their profit.
Let me rephrase this, I meant to say MSRP. I found this out because my dads typical seat time in a car is from 8 to 14 months after he buys it, so watching him deal in cars so frequently, 10% is a great deal off MSRP, but over that is stellar and that is what he pushes for since he out right buys the car...
Old 11-24-14, 06:58 AM
Rxspecial
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
My whole experience gave me a lot of confidence in my dealer for sure,.
I'm having problems w/my RX special order from a dealer in Los Angeles. Who was your dealer?
Old 11-24-14, 07:16 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by Rxspecial
I'm having problems w/my RX special order from a dealer in Los Angeles. Who was your dealer?
Lexus of Escondido. (...be sure though you note the dates in this thread, as the delivery date on my 2013, was June 2012 and I've not been shopping for a new Lexus since.) Good luck with your pursuit!