RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 04:13 AM
JPL20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokian WRG3 vs Hankook Dynapro HP2

Hi all, just got my 2011 RX 350 and it will need tires, I have narrowed it down to the Nokian WRG3 & Hankook Dynapro HP2, I think, lol. Looking for an all year tire that is quiet, good performance, good tread wear, & living in the northeast, snow is a concern, The Hankook are "all season" tires vs the Nokian which are "all weather" and have the mountain/snowflake symbol, Anyone here have any personal experience with these tires? Thanks!
Old 08-28-17, 11:47 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the Hankook on my Lexus when the Michelin blew a sidewall after 6000 miles. It has the identical ride and traction as the Michelin so I loose track of where it is on the car. Chicago winters can be anything and never had a problem with traction.
Old 08-29-17, 09:42 AM
boorah623
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys, trying to take advantage of the Discount Tire Labor Day Sale.

After reading through some of the info here, seems like people's preferences are all over the place. The "guide" https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...reviews-367184 recommends Continental Extreme Contact and Michelin Latitude Tour but they are not in stock at Discount Tire.

Instead, I am leaning toward the Continental Cross Contact or one of the Pirellis. Seems like people here have experience with the Pirellis but there seem to be so many versions (multiple versions of Scorpion Verde A/S and Scorpion Verde A/S Plus)? The car will be going to my parents who live in Western New York, so need something good for snow and inclement weather.

Anyone with experience with the Conti Cross Contact or the Pirellis that can weigh in?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-17, 12:41 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by boorah623
Hey Guys, trying to take advantage of the Discount Tire Labor Day Sale.

After reading through some of the info here, seems like people's preferences are all over the place. The "guide" https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...reviews-367184 recommends Continental Extreme Contact and Michelin Latitude Tour but they are not in stock at Discount Tire.

Instead, I am leaning toward the Continental Cross Contact or one of the Pirellis. Seems like people here have experience with the Pirellis but there seem to be so many versions (multiple versions of Scorpion Verde A/S and Scorpion Verde A/S Plus)? The car will be going to my parents who live in Western New York, so need something good for snow and inclement weather.

Anyone with experience with the Conti Cross Contact or the Pirellis that can weigh in?

Thanks!
That may be a dated article. In this very thread, you will find many switching to Michelin Premier LTX. I have and couldn't be happier.
Old 08-30-17, 05:40 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default stay away

from the Pirelli's. I have the Scorpion Plus and they are NOISY.
Old 08-30-17, 09:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
That may be a dated article. In this very thread, you will find many switching to Michelin Premier LTX. I have and couldn't be happier.
Agree with you vlad. I had to dump the Scorpion Verdes due to premature tire wear and chose the Premier LTX for my '10 RXh. They were designed for the 4RX and a tad cushier but still had the type of ride I liked. Plus the Premier LTX was cheaper than Latitude by a decent margin.
Old 08-31-17, 07:33 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mom has a 13 RX. We replaced her OEMs with the Michelin Premier LTX last December. I drove it to FL and back last spring (over 3K miles) and was very pleased. She doesn't drive when it's snowing so no thoughts on snow/ice performance.
Old 10-10-17, 07:54 AM
retbenefit
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing tires

2010 RX 450-H FWD 19 inch wheels

My Michelin Latitudes need to be replaced. I'm considering Michelin Defender for better and long life tire...concerned about giving up ride quality. Good or bad decision to switch to Defender?
Old 10-10-17, 07:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Michelin Premier LTX was specifically made for 4RX. It's absolutely the best, IMHO.
P.S.
There's a master thread just for this very topic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...thread-41.html
Waiting for this to be merged.
Old 10-11-17, 04:55 AM
JPL20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JPL20
Hi all, just got my 2011 RX 350 and it will need tires, I have narrowed it down to the Nokian WRG3 & Hankook Dynapro HP2, I think, lol. Looking for an all year tire that is quiet, good performance, good tread wear, & living in the northeast, snow is a concern, The Hankook are "all season" tires vs the Nokian which are "all weather" and have the mountain/snowflake symbol, Anyone here have any personal experience with these tires? Thanks!
Went with the Nokian WRG3 SUV:

Old 10-26-17, 09:18 AM
MDRX350
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires

2014 RX 350 AWD - Best replacement tires. Currently Dunlop Grandtrek 18"
Old 10-26-17, 09:47 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just put on some Michelins a few weeks ago. Much better than the old Pirellis.

I've also had good luck with Bridgestones. I make sure it's solid on warranty and at least a 60k warranty tire.
Old 10-30-17, 09:53 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We just put our 3rd set of tires on our 2013. OE (not Michelin. Dunlop?) and Pirelli Scorpion Plus both lasted about 25K miles. I was pretty disappointed in both, although the Pirellis handled much better. We’re not particularly hard on tires, and they were rotated and balanced as recommended. They Pirellis showed even wear across the tread on all 4 tires,and each tire had pretty much the same tread remaining. I probably would have been ok until summer, but we do get some snow, and I wasn’t interested in asking my lovely wife to manage the winter with marginal tires, so I replaced them a little earlier than I normally would.

I was was going to put on Michelin Latitudes, but the guy at Discount Tire said they are seeing only about 25K miles from them. I went with the Defenders on his recommendation along with reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire. They are very close to the same price. We’ll see how they do in the snow and/or wet, but I’m not anticipating much different from the Pirellis (OE tires were horrible!). The RX prefers to go straight (a LOT), and the understeer really shows up in limited traction situations.

Based on the week we’ve had the new tires, they seem OK. The handling is as good or better than the Pirellis. The ride is fine, and I’ve noticed there is less road noise. Could just be that there is more tread. I’m going to double check the air pressure, as they look a little soft. Maybe that’s how they’re supposed to look.
Old 10-30-17, 10:43 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Discount also recommended the Latitude tires to me as well. I was looking at the Premier but he said I got 2 extra Millimeters of tread depth with the Latitudes, so should last just a little longer (more rubber). So I went with them. Looks more like an all weather tire to me (or winter type looking tire), but we'll see. Ride is smooth and they are quiet. The vehicle is not really a "cornering" type of car so probably not worth going with some high performance type of tire.

Because the best I got on the older RX400h was about 35k, I'm sticker more with Michelin or Bridgestone.
Old 10-30-17, 11:25 AM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2013 as well (on the road as of Sept 2016), I am still using the Michelin Latitude Touring that came with the vehicle. I do use another set of Michelin x-ice for the winter from 2015. The vehicle total has about 130k-km(81k miles). I use winters from Nov-Apr. I also do less driving during the winter, less road trips. I estimate prob 55k miles used so far on the OE set. Looking into replacing them next spring as the thread depth was 4/32 this August.
I would replace these with either another set of Latitude or Premier. Price isn't too far apart, I believe the Latitude Touring line up is being replaced with the Premier LTX. I would rule out Defender for me as it's not efficient as the Latitude nor is it as quiet. It's fine if you live somewhere that doesn't see deep snow. Defender should be able to handle light snow fall just fine. However I prefer to have a dedicated set of winter tires to handle the snow where I live.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread