RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 12:20 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everybody! Ok, let's do this.
This post is primary for people who live in areas with four seasons, who don't drive FWD SUVs and don't buy summer tires for year around driving. We gonna talk about all season tires.

Tires
I have recently bought sixth Lexus in my family. This time I got 2013RX trading in my 2007RX and first thing I did I replaced wheels and tires. I always do so and have my reason for that. The dealer was supposed to provide me the new tires anyways and he was going to put OEM brands. I was just about to end up with Micheline, Dunlop or Bridgestone 235/60/18 size, but I asked him to save some money for him and to make me happy with buying the tires of my choice. In this case I wanted 255/55/18. I could to go for 19'' wheels, but I hesitated because of firmer ride. He agreed. The same day I ordered the wheels from CARiD.
I have to say that I really don't like Lexus wheels and I'm not really happy with tire's brands they come up with as OEM. In my opinion Lexus wheels have outdated look, they are also heavy and narrow. Common, 50K car has to definitely have better rims. Toyota wheels designers are really suck. I'm not a fan of BMW, but oh boy, I have to admit their wheels are beautiful! They are light, wide, modern looking, have less offset and thus can accommodate wider tires. I do like fat tires. Well, REASONABLE fat tires. I think wider tires give SUV more aggressive and brutal look. I can't afford LX yet, my family is not big and I have nothing to tow, so...
Ok back to the subject. These three OEM brands Micheline, Dunlop, and Bridgestone are really overpriced for their quality. There are really not many kinds of these brands which can really perform well all year around. Michelines have very poor winter ratings, only two kinds of Bridgestones have OK consumers rating and Dunlop get very noisy after 20K. After the long research I picked Firestone Destination LE2 and I've been very happy with this product for the last 6-7 years. All our three SUVs in my family had/have these tires. They do the work and don't brake a bank. Please do research yourself. Here is link to the tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+LE+2&partnum=555HR8DLE2XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Wheels
As I mentioned before I never liked Lexus wheels. It started with my first 2000 LS-400 that had terrible and ugly wheels and narrow 225/60/16 tires. Not really sexy for 290 hp car don't you think so? My wife's first 2001 ES-300 had 15" wheels and also ugly ones. 3RX have 18x7.5 and EVEN 19x7.5 wheels!!! It's a joke! Too narrow.
So it has become a tradition in my family to replace the wheels and better performing tires. I bought 18" by 8.5" Milanni custom wheels and IMHO my 255/55/18 wider tires look very good with them. BTW 255/55R18 has the same overall diameter as OEM 235/60R18 tires, so the speedometer will remain accurate, Also the wider tires may consume more gas, but since switching from Premium to Regular I save 30 cents per gallon anyways I don't care much. Plus these wheels are lighter than original. Here is link to the wheels:
https://www.carid.com/milanni-wheels...-43762531.html

And here some pics:
Attached Thumbnails The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-001.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-002.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0900.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0893.jpg  

Last edited by Alfa777z; 07-03-17 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Denzo (07-30-17)
Old 07-15-17, 02:41 PM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Tires?

Hi all,

I haven't been on here in a while but am needing some advice. My husband said my tires are wearing down so we should replace them soon before new baby comes in less than 8 wks. I like how smooth & comfortable my ride is so I'd like to keep it that way. He said my tires are currently Michelin Radial X P235/55R19; hubby said to look for wider tires like 250 or so. I tried looking at Sam's Club and didn't see these particular tires so I went on Michelin's website which said these particular tires have been replaced by others: Premier LTX, Latitude Tour HP, Latitude Sport 3, Primacy MXM4, Defender LTX M/S. Has anyone had any experiences with these newer tires and how they ride? Thanks, Nancy
Old 07-15-17, 03:15 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-thread.html
Old 07-15-17, 04:58 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have much time and you are going to receive a plethora of opinions on a site like this. In my opinion you should visit local tire dealers and tell them this story until you find someone that you trust. Even talking to the tire people at Sam's Club is better than this.
Old 07-15-17, 06:39 PM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

thank you. I'm reading through it right now
Old 07-15-17, 06:44 PM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phlorida
You don't have much time and you are going to receive a plethora of opinions on a site like this. In my opinion you should visit local tire dealers and tell them this story until you find someone that you trust. Even talking to the tire people at Sam's Club is better than this.
thank you. I'm going through a thread the pp had posted and so far it sounds like the latitude tour hp is in the running. I just don't know about width and aspect ratio yet. I do like the idea of adding more height to the car since it rains a lot here.
Old 07-15-17, 07:24 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Defender on my pick up truck
I mostly do hiway driving and zero off roading
they a pretty quiet tire , not sure I would use them on a RX as I will running winter tires ,
will be going with a summer tire
Old 07-15-17, 11:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Where are you located?

Any America's Tire or Discount Tires around you?

How about TireRack.com ?

Originally Posted by lilti9er
Hi all,

I haven't been on here in a while but am needing some advice. My husband said my tires are wearing down so we should replace them soon before new baby comes in less than 8 wks. I like how smooth & comfortable my ride is so I'd like to keep it that way. He said my tires are currently Michelin Radial X P235/55R19; hubby said to look for wider tires like 250 or so. I tried looking at Sam's Club and didn't see these particular tires so I went on Michelin's website which said these particular tires have been replaced by others: Premier LTX, Latitude Tour HP, Latitude Sport 3, Primacy MXM4, Defender LTX M/S. Has anyone had any experiences with these newer tires and how they ride? Thanks, Nancy
Old 07-16-17, 03:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

The #1 rated tire by Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX&partnum=355VR9PRLTX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2014&autoModel=RX%20350&autoModClar=AWD#RatingsReviews
Old 07-16-17, 03:23 PM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Where are you located?

Any America's Tire or Discount Tires around you?

How about TireRack.com ?
I'm in Texas and will check out Discount Tire this week.
Old 07-17-17, 07:24 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli tires

a few years back I replaced the tires on my 2013 RX with Pirelli(sp?) Scorpion 'something' Plus. They were rated one of the best for ride and quiet..... even on Tire Rack, Well.....it's now a couple of years later and they are the NOISIEST tires I've ever had!!!! Way back when I used to own Suburban's and Tahoe's. I put Michelin LTX on them. Great tire. When I was looking for tires it seemed to indicate LTX did not fit the 2013 19" wheel RX? So now they do?
Old 07-17-17, 08:33 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lilti9er
Hi all,

I bought Michelin Premier LTX in stock size at Sams Club and couldn't be happier. Really outstanding tire for this vehicle, comfort being a major factor. It was designed around 4RX after all.
Orignally, I I ordered Goodyears and had Sams pull them off and issue a refund.
Old 08-07-17, 12:38 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

I have found there are 2 Michelin Premier LTX tires available? in my 235x55x19 size. One is a 'V' rated tire and the other is a 'H' rated??? I am being led to believe the 'H' rated tire would be more comfortable??? due to the 'H' rated having a 'softer' sidewall??? I think Lexus puts 'V' rated on the vehicle tho??? do I want to go with the 'H' rated????
Old 08-07-17, 12:47 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
I have found there are 2 Michelin Premier LTX tires available? in my 235x55x19 size. One is a 'V' rated tire and the other is a 'H' rated??? I am being led to believe the 'H' rated tire would be more comfortable??? due to the 'H' rated having a 'softer' sidewall??? I think Lexus puts 'V' rated on the vehicle tho??? do I want to go with the 'H' rated????
Go with the V-rated tire - that's our spec. H is one grade lower. You will be allowed to go down one notch, but may be asked to sign a waiver.
I doubt there's any noticeable difference in the sidewall stiffness.
Old 08-16-17, 11:16 PM
jsanders
Driver

Default 2012 RX350 noisy ride with Continental Truecontact

I have a 2012 RX350 with 75k miles. When the car was new with factory Dunlops, the ride was smooth and quiet and very enjoyable. At 20k miles, the ride became very noisy at speeds higher than 40 mph.

I finally got the original tires replaced at 55k miles and researched carefully on Tirerack. I decided between Michelins and Contis. Settled on the Conti Truecontact due to their excellent reviews and 90k warranty.

The Conti Truecontacts were good at first. But now after 20k miles on them, they seem to be noisy again! The noise is so bad on the freeway that I can barely hear my radio. These days, I much prefer to drive my 2014 Highlander with Michelin Premiers. Anybody else have this problem with noisy Conti tires on the RX?

235/55R-19 CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT SL

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread