RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Does the navigation package for a 2013 RX include a backup camera?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 12:36 AM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the navigation package for a 2013 RX include a backup camera?

A Lexus salesman advised me of this today when I went in to see about buying a 350 FWD. However I see no confirmation of that in the options list on the Lexus website. It seems there that you need to order the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package in addition to the navigation package.
Old 08-29-12, 02:57 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JG45
A Lexus salesman advised me of this today when I went in to see about buying a 350 FWD. However I see no confirmation of that in the options list on the Lexus website. It seems there that you need to order the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package in addition to the navigation package.
Welcome to Club Lexus, JG45.

You can use the Build Your Lexus feature on the lexus.com corporate web site to help assist with what features are available and how they go together.

The Navigation Package and the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package are actually two different packages. You can have one or the other, but you cannot get both. Have attached a couple of screenshots for your viewing out of the brochure which lists all that is included with each package.
Attached Thumbnails Does the navigation package for a 2013 RX include a backup camera?-navigation-package.png   Does the navigation package for a 2013 RX include a backup camera?-display-audio-backup-camera-package.png  
Old 08-29-12, 05:46 AM
BertL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, welcome. As stated, in 2013, there are two different ways to get a backup camera on an RX here in the US. In case it helps as you look at all the features above
  • the Navigation Pkg has always come with the backup camera (which is what I have on my 2013 RX450h). The live camera picture will appear on the dash display over any Nav/Audio/etc info when you put the RX in reverse.
  • the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Pkg is new for 2013 and a way to have the backup camera if you don't want the Navigation system itself (perhaps you have a Garmin, use your Smartphone, or always know your way around). I've not seen this package in operation, but the descriptions and manual indicate the live rear camera operates similar to the Nav version.
Good luck on your decision and acquisition!
Old 08-29-12, 10:41 AM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, JG45.

You can use the Build Your Lexus feature on the lexus.com corporate web site to help assist with what features are available and how they go together.

The Navigation Package and the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package are actually two different packages. You can have one or the other, but you cannot get both. Have attached a couple of screenshots for your viewing out of the brochure which lists all that is included with each package.
Thanks, I've used the Build Your Lexus feature on numerous trial runs. However it turns out that you can get both the Navigation Package and the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package. At least according to Lexus customer service (via the Lexus website), which I just called after getting different opinions, including one Lexus salesman who insisted that the Navigation Package includes a backup camera. According to Lexus, it doesn't.
Old 08-29-12, 10:44 AM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, welcome. As stated, in 2013, there are two different ways to get a backup camera on an RX here in the US. In case it helps as you look at all the features above
  • the Navigation Pkg has always come with the backup camera (which is what I have on my 2013 RX450h). The live camera picture will appear on the dash display over any Nav/Audio/etc info when you put the RX in reverse.
  • the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Pkg is new for 2013 and a way to have the backup camera if you don't want the Navigation system itself (perhaps you have a Garmin, use your Smartphone, or always know your way around). I've not seen this package in operation, but the descriptions and manual indicate the live rear camera operates similar to the Nav version.
Good luck on your decision and acquisition!
Thanks, but a backup camera isn't listed as part of the Navigation Package in the Lexus RX brochure or on the detailed list at the Lexus website.
Old 08-29-12, 10:55 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks, but a backup camera isn't listed as part of the Navigation Package in the Lexus RX brochure or on the detailed list at the Lexus website.
Sure it is. I took those screen captures direct from the brochure. Go back and look at the package contents I posted, again. Right there in print.
Old 08-29-12, 10:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks, I've used the Build Your Lexus feature on numerous trial runs. However it turns out that you can get both the Navigation Package and the Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package. At least according to Lexus customer service (via the Lexus website), which I just called after getting different opinions, including one Lexus salesman who insisted that the Navigation Package includes a backup camera. According to Lexus, it doesn't.
You are getting some bad info. See if the dealer has vehicles on the lot where they can show you the difference between the two systems. Best seeing with your own eyes than taking someone's word for it.
Old 08-29-12, 11:01 AM
BertL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess you know the answer better than us, so we can't be of much help.

I'll just say that the 2013 RX450h sitting in my garage, that I special ordered line item by line item, HAS the backup camera which came as part of the Navigation Pkg. I did not order, and do not have the other feature installed on my vehicle, as confirmed in TIS (the Lexus Technical Information System). Good luck again with your pursuit.
Old 08-29-12, 02:42 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2013 RX AWD with Nav has the backup camera system as well as front/rear park

assist and blind spot mointoring