RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Rx350 question re. navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 05:52 PM
IS250Vic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Rx350 question re. navigation

Hello,

I've been a regular browser of this site, and had a quick question for anyone who may know:

Is there a vendor who sells the OEM navigation screen for this car?

My dad definitely regrets not buying his RX350 with the navigation package, and was wondering if this was at all possible; if not, does anyone have any alternative suggestions re. aftermarket navigation systems and setup, positioning etc?

Pics would be a HUGE help.

I am normally pretty good with using the search function, but for this particular inquiry I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if a similar thread already exists!
Old 12-17-11, 12:27 AM
LexuSLP
Driver School Candidate

Check out www.lexuspartsnow.com, they have just about everything for that model year, though kinda pricey
Old 12-17-11, 05:05 AM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Adding the OEM Nav system will probably have a prohibitive price tag. If I'm wrong please post the details and cost. But so many cars come with them now, the 'w/s' models have come down in price and more features like free upgrades are on most. Check your box stores like COSTCO, BJ's, and SAM's.

Or support the economy and buy your dad a new RX (with NAV) for Xmas

Seriously tho, your post is good for folks buying the RX and saying they don't want to pay the price for the NAV system. It's always one of the smarter options to have OEM. Buyers remorse can be more painful than the money cost.
Originally Posted by IS250Vic
Hello,

I've been a regular browser of this site, and had a quick question for anyone who may know:

Is there a vendor who sells the OEM navigation screen for this car?

My dad definitely regrets not buying his RX350 with the navigation package, and was wondering if this was at all possible; if not, does anyone have any alternative suggestions re. aftermarket navigation systems and setup, positioning etc?

Pics would be a HUGE help.

I am normally pretty good with using the search function, but for this particular inquiry I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if a similar thread already exists!
Old 12-17-11, 06:12 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Anything is possible given enough money. The "Nav" isn't just navigation. It also is connected to your climate control, integrated with your bluetooth, controls the radio, and also sets your personal choices for your vehicle. It isn't a simple plug and play.

If he really wants navigation go out and buy him a nice Garmin.
Old 12-17-11, 07:31 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

im not that impressed with the joystick navigation... i liked the touch screen nav in The RX330 second generation... it was just easier to use...
Old 12-17-11, 07:53 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm trying to get used to that myself. It can be a bit cumbersome compared to a touchscreen but after a while I think I am getting the hang of it. I just don't play around with it much while driving since I don't want to end up in a tree.
Old 12-17-11, 11:27 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the mouse button and really like the force feedback when you are over an icon. I wish that there was a way to make the map not show and have the radio stuff on the nav screen when not using the nav system. It seems to revert back to the map or the menu after a certain amount of time.
Old 12-17-11, 11:49 AM
Cruiter

Jairus, You have to be parked to get all the way into your settings, but once there, you can change enough that you'll feel lordly and empowered when your done . Including changing which screen stays up.

Glad you're liking your car.

Merry Christmas
ps; are you one of those that removed the manual and can't find it anymore ???
Sorry, I've already been in the egg nog
Originally Posted by InRBigness
I love the mouse button and really like the force feedback when you are over an icon. I wish that there was a way to make the map not show and have the radio stuff on the nav screen when not using the nav system. It seems to revert back to the map or the menu after a certain amount of time.

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-17-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-17-11, 02:16 PM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruiter, can you tell us where in the settings to change which screen stays up plz.

Thanks
Old 12-17-11, 02:26 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah but Cruiter I do not have to be stopped as I have the override installed for exactly things like this. You dont have to be in park, just below 10K I think. That being said, I know where my manuals are, just easier to ask and educate everyone.

I will search around the menus and see what i can find.
Old 12-17-11, 06:37 PM
Cruiter

It was easy to find. Just go to settings/general/ and click 'auto screen change' to off. Then your screen will remain wherever you leave it until you change it again. Then it will remain there whether it's the radio, nav, consumption, or whatever. There are lots of things in there, you can't change anything you can't undo. It's the place for owners to customize what they want.

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Ah but Cruiter I do not have to be stopped as I have the override installed for exactly things like this. You dont have to be in park, just below 10K I think. That being said, I know where my manuals are, just easier to ask and educate everyone.

I will search around the menus and see what i can find.

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-17-11 at 06:41 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-18-11, 10:33 AM
IS250Vic
Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Anything is possible given enough money. The "Nav" isn't just navigation. It also is connected to your climate control, integrated with your bluetooth, controls the radio, and also sets your personal choices for your vehicle. It isn't a simple plug and play.

If he really wants navigation go out and buy him a nice Garmin.
Ahh I see, good to know!! I think he simply wants the GPS function to help him drive around the city or if he needs help with directions.

Rather than navigation, any suggestions on a quality GPS system but with a screen at least 5 inches?

Thank you for all the great input. I will probably get a navigation system for the Is250 as well