RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 11:04 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Olivrae
I'm in a situation where I have the factory RES in my 2013 RX. Lousy range and the wife parks too far from car when at her new job. So I have my eye on a Compustar 2way but 2 installers I've asked aren't sure they can remove the existing factory system. Not paying over $700 for a sketchy RES+. So my question is if someone has come across this scenario?
Just buy a kit HC2 made by iDATAlink which contains all necessary parts(brain + RF kit, 3000 ft range, 2 way) ~15 wires to connect. Or let the shop do it for you.
Another one is Fortin EVO-one or EVO-all with RF Kit. Two very good stuffs with excellent reputation. Go browse on their web page.
The following users liked this post:
Olivrae (12-29-17)
Old 12-31-17, 11:22 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olivrae
I'm in a situation where I have the factory RES in my 2013 RX. Lousy range and the wife parks too far from car when at her new job. So I have my eye on a Compustar 2way but 2 installers I've asked aren't sure they can remove the existing factory system. Not paying over $700 for a sketchy RES+. So my question is if someone has come across this scenario?
Only make common sense to disable the OEM remote control. I would think cutting the power supply would be enough. This way the power can be reconnected and used in the future. I would start there and see if the car functions normally.
Old 01-01-18, 05:20 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only add that my son has a 2010 RX 350 that did not have a remote starter from the factory. Just went to the local car stereo shop. He lives in a high rise condo building on the 16th level and parks on about the 4th level. No issue with range in the concrete jungle. Uses it all the time and just no complaint on range.

Car is in Canada so not sure the make. Units with good range are available for sure. A lot of complaints on the factory issue. If I needed 1 for my RX350 2015, would not go the Lexus issue.

Hope this helps in your decision. Any good tech should know his product.
Old 05-22-18, 02:47 AM
DweN
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all,

I recently installed remote start to my RX350 2010.
There were 2 options one from key fob and other with my smartphone.
I installed both of them and I am more than happy especially with our hot climate.
No splicing cable or anything like that.
Old 05-22-18, 06:43 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DweN
Hey all,

I recently installed remote start to my RX350 2010.
There were 2 options one from key fob and other with my smartphone.
I installed both of them and I am more than happy especially with our hot climate.
No splicing cable or anything like that.
how did you do it? Are there instructions somewhere? Did you use the Lexus part that’s linked above?
Old 05-22-18, 02:17 PM
DweN
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrvmax

how did you do it? Are there instructions somewhere? Did you use the Lexus part that’s linked above?
So I installed both for fob and with smartphone. For key fob you just need to buy oem block module and register to the system. It has already dedicated place under the front panel passenger side.
for the smartphone one there is a system called zont. https://zont-online.ru
it's Russian software with Canadian hardware.
all done by electrician. For both system I paid 200$.
​​​​
Old 05-23-18, 06:19 AM
vectorv4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

I installed the Fortin Evo-all in my wife’s 2010 rx350. These units will do everything you need in one box. It uses the factory remote so the range is not going to be as good as some of the other options out there but it worked great for us.. My wife did not want to carry an extra remote because the car is push to start. You just push he lock button 3 times to start or stop. You can add other modules if you want to as well. They have a cell phone remote and regular remote if you do not like the range.
The unit does need to be programmed for your car so you either need the programming kit or just buy it from a seller who does it for you.
Because the unit is connected to the CAN buss, there is less wiring. Maximum for my car was 8 wires but you could get away with as few as 6 if you leave out a few options. The car will stop when you open the door and I am told there is nothing you can do about it
I purchased mine already programmed from mypushcart.com using eBay.
Fortin units are great and the seller supported me during the installation.
Old 09-25-18, 10:49 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a fresh update from Alberta, Canada!

Went yesterday to my Lexus dealer to check my options for a remote starter that "works"

They no longer carry that mediocre range model (PT398-48112) that sells anywhere from US$170 to US$225. Instead, they carry a superior Lexus replacement but the price is steep. It sells for about US$700 installed. Please do not confuse it with the APP-based. This is just a long range RES that goes upto 2600 feet away!

Here's a demo:
Old 09-26-18, 08:42 AM
MichBadger
Driver School Candidate

Did you pull the trigger?
Old 09-27-18, 05:11 AM
Banbuk77
Driver School Candidate

Best Buy constantly runs promo options where you can buy 2 way system with 3000 feet range for $260 including installation.
Search slickdeals.com website for those deals.

I have 2013 with RES installed, but I am still trying to figure out what is the purpose of having a remote start that has 80 feet range. There is none.
I would've jumped on the BB deal, but I need better range so I am going to install Compustar T11 system. Their website has list of dealers/installers.. I got quoted $480 for everything and going to install it soon.
Old 09-27-18, 12:11 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by heshamos
Here's a fresh update from Alberta, Canada!

Went yesterday to my Lexus dealer to check my options for a remote starter that "works"

They no longer carry that mediocre range model (PT398-48112) that sells anywhere from US$170 to US$225. Instead, they carry a superior Lexus replacement but the price is steep. It sells for about US$700 installed. Please do not confuse it with the APP-based. This is just a long range RES that goes upto 2600 feet away!

Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hLBfrL8wxvI
for a $1,000 CAD , I will let the wife's *** freeze a bit before the seats warm up, I have factor remote in my truck 😂
Really don't use it that often anyway
Old 10-01-18, 04:30 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Airbalance
for a $1,000 CAD , I will let the wife's *** freeze a bit before the seats warm up, I have factor remote in my truck ��
Really don't use it that often anyway

We had the temperature below zero for the last 3 weeks while we're officially still in Summer!
IMHO, a remote starter is like basement renovation, it might not increase the house value but makes it faster to sell when the time comes. Even 5 years down the road, potential buyers always inquire about a remote starter and a spare set of snow tires here in the Rockies!
I don't mind the aftermarket rivals if the quality and features are adequate and the price is much competitive than the OEM.

Originally Posted by MichBadger
Did you pull the trigger?
Still in the making. I'm having a hard time justifying the price vs the aftermarket.
Old 10-01-18, 04:42 AM
MichBadger
Driver School Candidate

Even with the bulkiness of two key fobs, I think I'm having a Viper system professionally installed this week on my new-to-me RX. Cost is $250 from a local independent shop.
Old 10-01-18, 04:56 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MichBadger
Even with the bulkiness of two key fobs, I think I'm having a Viper system professionally installed this week on my new-to-me RX. Cost is $250 from a local independent shop.
For some reason, the parts man at Lexus mentioned compustar as "the rival" but when I asked: What about Viper? He said that we don't regard it as a genuine threat! I didn't feel like asking him to elaborate!

What's the model number you're intending to install? Thanks,
Old 10-03-18, 09:30 AM
MichBadger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heshamos

What's the model number you're intending to install? Thanks,
I'm not going to have a chance to get it in this week. I'll post back when I find out.

Quick Reply: Remote start option