RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 09:04 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start

Ok, I had a 2010 RX and I made inquires both in Clearwater, Fl and London Ont and was advised as not available. However, the London dealer did seem to say later that it was available. I never had a big need for it.

My son now has this RX and he made inquiry at a local audio shop noted for this type of stuff and based on the poor reviews on the Lexus unit. He got a Smart Start unit for about $200 and about $275 to install. I was skeptical about the claim of 1,500 feet range. He lives on the 16th floor of a high rise and parks on the 4th floor. He can hit it from his condo. At work, he is 200' or more from where he parks. He can hit from inside the building without the RX in sight.

The RX does shut off when the door is opened. The separate fob is very small. He carries keys and was carrying the key fob. Now he is using the card key inside his wallet and his house keys attached to the new fob. Describes as the best money he has spent and loves it.
Old 09-20-15, 12:26 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the Lexus factory RES from Concord Lexus in California on Amazon for my 2010 RX350. The model number is PT398-48112 and was $196 delivered USPS Priority. Instructions are not included in the box and Concord Lexus was zero help. I called my local Lexus dealer and the Service Advisor e-mailed me the installation instructions within a few hours. (Very disappointed that the dealer that sold it to me would not help me at all. They said the internet division does not work weekends and to call back Monday. Very poor customer service IMHO.)

It took me 1 hour to install it. I went trough the registration procedure but the Techstream is not an optional step. It is required. I will be bringing my Lexus in to the dealer for registration Monday. I left the passenger side cowl and the engine cover off so the diagnostic cable is accessible.

I will report back the cost.

I am fairly savvy installing things, and this was not difficult but getting the ECU screwed in was a challenge due to the angle and the lack of the ability to see what you are doing.

Last edited by PLamarine; 09-20-15 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 12:27 PM
PLamarine
Driver

This is 100% not true. Techstream Registration is required not optional.

Originally Posted by m1964
According to the installation instructions registration can be done w/o connecting to the computer; if the manual method fails then the computer is needed

c. Locate the 1P RES
Diagnostic Connectors in
the Passenger’s Side
Cowl Area and connect them.
NOTE: Once connected you will
have 10 minutes to complete this
section, steps d–y.

Place the Vehicle in Park (P)
or Neutral (N) position.
f. With the Remote Control Key
in your possession, cycle the
Smart Key Ignition Button
from OFF to ON 5 times.
NOTE: One cycle consists of:
OFF →Accessory →ON. This is
equivalent to pressing the Smart
Key Ignition Button 14 times.
LOOK: for the Hazard Lights to
Flash once.
g. Start the Engine.
h. After 10 seconds stop the
Engine.
LOOK: For the Hazard Lights to
flash Once.
IF THIS PROCEDURE FAILED
The Hazard Lights flash Three
Times.
• Disconnect the V4 Harness’s 1P
RES Diagnostic Connectors.

If the above provedure fails THEN you will need computer. I can't upload the whole file (don't know why...)
Old 09-21-15, 09:49 AM
PLamarine
Driver

My local Toyota Dealer quoted a minimum 1 hour labor charge of $118 to register the remote starter. Lexus dealer quoted an hour at $128.

I ordered a cable and the Techstream software for $59 and will do the work myself. Will report back once I receive it.
Old 09-24-15, 08:28 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received my cable and software from Ebay. Took about a half hour to install Techstream and the cable drivers on my PC with the included instructions.

Registering the remote starter took a little longer because I didn't follow the exact steps the first time. Second time around I did and the remote starter works like a dream.

I also programmed a Smart Card Key that I bought...that took only a few minutes and I have it tucked safely away in my wallet. Very cool.

Installing the alarm, installing the software and then programming the alarm should be reserved for those with moderate technical abilities....this is not a job for a newbie.
The following users liked this post:
tomy1986 (11-05-17)
Old 02-23-16, 07:34 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry for not reading this whole thread.

Does anyone here use the DBALL2 remote start on their RX 350? http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=553

I'm thinking of giving it a try. I have a 2013 LS 460 and the wife has a 2015 RX 350. Seems like this will work on both our cars.

Old 12-24-16, 11:23 PM
Tbone0618
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link is a dead one, but sewell.com is up and running.
Old 11-04-17, 07:13 PM
teresaward
Driver School Candidate

Default remote starter for 2010 rx350

do lexus has a remote starter for the 2010 rx350
Old 11-04-17, 07:29 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes ...wireless remote start from the smart access fob.
Old 11-04-17, 07:33 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

If OP needs good range, go for 3rd party one which costs lesser $$$ than Lexus own..
Old 11-05-17, 12:45 PM
tomy1986
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PLamarine
Received my cable and software from Ebay. Took about a half hour to install Techstream and the cable drivers on my PC with the included instructions.

Registering the remote starter took a little longer because I didn't follow the exact steps the first time. Second time around I did and the remote starter works like a dream.

I also programmed a Smart Card Key that I bought...that took only a few minutes and I have it tucked safely away in my wallet. Very cool.

Installing the alarm, installing the software and then programming the alarm should be reserved for those with moderate technical abilities....this is not a job for a newbie.
I got remote starter from lexuspartnow after installed module to my RX350 then I got fail at register module.

f. Close all doors. Open and close all door right ? included tailgate door? or just open 2 front door?

g. With the Remote Control Key in your possession, cycle the Smart Key Ignition Button from OFF to ON 5 times.

NOTE: One cycle consists of:
OFF →Accessory →ON. This is equivalent to pressing the Smart Key Ignition Button 14 Times.

LOOK: For the Hazard Lights to ash Once.

But i do not get any Hazard lights. I do not what step i am missing.
Thank for your help.
Old 11-05-17, 01:21 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Ok. So I just made my trip to a local bestbuy and learned some numbers I need to know about remote engine starters. The sales guy told me if I like to have a smartphone operated system the cost will be $299(viper 2-way remote starter) + $100 (bypass module) + $40(labour for install the bypass module) + $399 (viper smart start module). That is $840+ 12%tax and an annual fee of $45 will apply. After knowing that I am probably not interested anymore.
it's really amasing how things come down in price i bet if you where to go to best buy today and ask for that same stuff it would be about 450 max
i actually am having a compustar system with all the extra parts neeeded and the instalation and the drone mobile phone option installed got it for a sale price total cost after eveyrhgin including the drone option for my phone is 349.99
Old 11-05-17, 06:58 PM
tomy1986
10th Gear

Here is OEM remote starter and DIY:
Part#: PT398-48112
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...398-48112.html
Old 11-05-17, 06:59 PM
tomy1986
10th Gear

Anyone can help?
Old 12-29-17, 09:53 AM
Olivrae
Driver School Candidate

Default remove factory system

I'm in a situation where I have the factory RES in my 2013 RX. Lousy range and the wife parks too far from car when at her new job. So I have my eye on a Compustar 2way but 2 installers I've asked aren't sure they can remove the existing factory system. Not paying over $700 for a sketchy RES+. So my question is if someone has come across this scenario?

Quick Reply: Remote start option