RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 10:42 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How much did you pay for your Remote start?

Hey everyone, I have a 2015 RX 350 and I asked my dealer how much would it cost for the remote start and I was blown away by the cost. He said it was about $950!! I cannot believe it would cost this much.. i'm curious what you guys paid? I've read a few posts and people are reporting ~$1,000 to get it done, or doing the monthly subscription program which I don't want to do.

Anyone pay less than that? And also does anyone know why it would be so expensive? I've owned many cars and got them all installed with remote starts and the most expensive one was like $450.

Also before someone asks, I did try to use the remote start already (pressing lock twice then holding) tried many times, many different ways... the car doesn't have it.
Old 03-14-19, 08:57 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed the factory unit myself, and it did take a considerable amount of time and effort. Then, I had to have the dealer activate it via tech stream for a fee. You can go with a third party unit and have it installed for far cheaper, but then you're using a mobile app or second key fob to activate. I didn't want to do this, so I stuck with the factory starter and deal with the much shorter range that you get as a result of its use.
Old 03-14-19, 10:14 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
Hey everyone, I have a 2015 RX 350 and I asked my dealer how much would it cost for the remote start and I was blown away by the cost. He said it was about $950!! I cannot believe it would cost this much.. i'm curious what you guys paid? I've read a few posts and people are reporting ~$1,000 to get it done, or doing the monthly subscription program which I don't want to do.

Anyone pay less than that? And also does anyone know why it would be so expensive? I've owned many cars and got them all installed with remote starts and the most expensive one was like $450.

Also before someone asks, I did try to use the remote start already (pressing lock twice then holding) tried many times, many different ways... the car doesn't have it.
It all depends on which route you would prefer:
Genuine: 2 venues
After Market: 2 venues

For the genuine, you can go with the simple remote starter that uses the same car fob. This shouldn't be more expensive than $400 including the bypass module and labor.
Pros: No extra fob. Reasonable in price. Genuine hardware.
Cons: Short range. No 2way capability.
Your second genuine option is the one that was offered to you by your dealership!

As for the aftermarket, although the options are endless, I wanted to point to the major feature that I find impressive which is using a Lexus compatible bypass module that reduces the clutter and it's all plug and play such as this one. The other option is to go with any reliable brand or what's on sale at your convenient location.

It all depends on your real needs.
Old 03-18-19, 07:35 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeroDanny

First off, let me say, you are driving a Lexus so expect to pay mostly double for most things.

Secondly, look through some threads and you will find that the OEM issue is not a very good unit. Most say it has little or no range. Same say it will hardly hit outside the window in the driveway.

My son has my Lexus RX350 2010. He went to the local audio shop in St Thomas Ont and got the unit with install in the $250 range. It comes with a small separate FOB. This vehicle has the "credit card" size keyless entry unit so he only carries this FOB. The amazing thing about this unit is the range. He lived in a high rise condo building on the 16th floor and had no problem in starting the vehicle in the parking on 5th level. This is all cement. There is almost no parking lot that he cannot reach even if not in sight. It has been flawless.

I drive a 2015 RX350 and both units are now here in Florida. If interested, I could see if I can get a Model # off his unit or a phone # so you can get a Model #. The paperwork may be back in Canada.

Cheers,

Mel

Old 04-08-19, 11:34 AM
Nomercy200
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone use this solution https://www.12volt.solutions/product...v2-1-smart-key?
The video installation looks very easy and straightforward. I dont see it requires any second key fob in the car as well. I am looking to install remote start for my RX350 2011.
Old 04-15-19, 12:55 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a OEM remote starter, you want to buy the RES or the RES+ for the 2010-2013 Lexus RX. I installed the RES+ on my 2010 RX 450h (RES+ allows you to start the car from anywhere in world as long a both the car and you smartphone have a signal. The RES is line of sight starter using your key-fob)
Three things to note.
First, the "original" kit sold used the Edge Cellular network and will NOT work since the Edge network was discontinued country wide by all carriers. As such, you’d need to make sure it works on the 4G network. Second, make sure to take a picture of the computer module label before installing it. The module goes upside down above the glovebox. It was a royal pain in the butt install. Third, get yourself an auto trim/plastics puller set (including a fastener removal tool) to remove the passenger-side windshield pillar trim. You have to run the cabling for the Remote receiver that mounts on the top portion of the windshield (in front of the passengers seat). There is a weird clip in that pillar that is designed to pull out so the curtain airbag can deploy but not completely come off. It was even more a of pain to pull because I didn’t have the right tools.Good Luck!David
Originally Posted by Nomercy200
Has anyone use this solution https://www.12volt.solutions/product...v2-1-smart-key?
The video installation looks very easy and straightforward. I dont see it requires any second key fob in the car as well. I am looking to install remote start for my RX350 2011.
Old 04-15-19, 09:13 PM
Nomercy200
Rookie

Originally Posted by cubbie036
If you want a OEM remote starter, you want to buy the RES or the RES+ for the 2010-2013 Lexus RX. I installed the RES+ on my 2010 RX 450h (RES+ allows you to start the car from anywhere in world as long a both the car and you smartphone have a signal. The RES is line of sight starter using your key-fob)
Three things to note.
First, the "original" kit sold used the Edge Cellular network and will NOT work since the Edge network was discontinued country wide by all carriers. As such, you’d need to make sure it works on the 4G network. Second, make sure to take a picture of the computer module label before installing it. The module goes upside down above the glovebox. It was a royal pain in the butt install. Third, get yourself an auto trim/plastics puller set (including a fastener removal tool) to remove the passenger-side windshield pillar trim. You have to run the cabling for the Remote receiver that mounts on the top portion of the windshield (in front of the passengers seat). There is a weird clip in that pillar that is designed to pull out so the curtain airbag can deploy but not completely come off. It was even more a of pain to pull because I didn’t have the right tools.Good Luck!David
Thanks for replying. However, I am looking for a low-cost option without annual subscription and I do not have a need to do remote start or control using my phone as well.
Old 04-16-19, 07:37 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

I don't see reviews or the company that made it. I'm just hoping it's reliable as the price is very attractive.
Some popular aftermarket names might offer near this price.
Old 04-19-19, 02:23 PM
LS1
Driver

I know this thread is old but FYI as per my Lexus dealer in 2 weeks there will be a sale on accessories which includes remote starts 20% off. They just did mine on my 15 F sport for $391
Old 04-22-19, 09:19 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Which remote starter model did they install on your F-Sport for that price?
Old 07-02-19, 10:22 AM
myRX450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start for RX450H

I've been through the forum and have seen the remote start threads for different Lexus models but I'm interested in how a aftermarket remote start performs on the RX450H because of the hybrid "technology"

I have a 2015 RX450H. Have any of the owners of an aftermarket remote start had any issues after installing the remote start? I've called in to 10 local shops around here and none of them have experience with the 450H. They also mentioned some potential complexities or issues because its a hybrid.

I'm currently looking at the Viper DS4VB, 12Volt.Solutions, Compustar models. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-19, 03:12 PM
Faculty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would it cost to have an aftermarket installation company do this?
Old 07-13-19, 04:27 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this unit from this company and it works flawlessly. I can say the hardest part was taking apart some of the dash components.

I also have the cell phone remote start option and so far it's the only variant that works on 4g. Compustar and viper versions are only on 3g networks(for Canada) which is disappointing.
Old 07-28-19, 11:11 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting idea. In a conventional car, you're telling the car to start the engine and heat it up because you want cabin heat. In a hybrid, the computer is in charge of things and will start and stop the engine when it feels like it.

I guess it shouldn't be that hard to create something that interfaces with the computer and says (1) I have the key fob in my pocket so I'm legit, and (2) let's go (start/stop button essentially pressed). But what I've never tried is to see just how long the computer runs the engine even if the car is stationary. Enough to heat the water? Or just to top off the traction battery?
Old 08-21-19, 03:33 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Remote start with take over bypass?

Is there a remote starter that will allow the car to stay on even after opening the door? I've seen some and read it's a safety feature that Toyota and lexus has but is there a way to disable it?

Quick Reply: Remote start option