RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 01:15 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MichBadger
I'm not going to have a chance to get it in this week. I'll post back when I find out.
Keep us posted, please!
I, too, contacted Compustar authorized installers in Calgary, Canada. I realize they could be more expensive than their rivals (such as BestBuy) but I wanted to set a benchmark for the price including installation. I also checked their online catalog for what seems to be a perfect fit to the RX350. My criteria were simple as this:
2 sets of rugged fobs,
2 way RES,
No LCD screen,
LED light confirming the engine started.
No drone mode
Reasonable range - no less than 1000 ft.

I found two of their models online meeting these criteria. The authorized installer confirmed that they are the most reliable devices. They quoted me 60% of what Lexus dealership wanted. I'm still weighing my options.
Old 10-03-18, 01:57 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by heshamos
Keep us posted, please!
I, too, contacted Compustar authorized installers in Calgary, Canada. I realize they could be more expensive than their rivals (such as BestBuy) but I wanted to set a benchmark for the price including installation. I also checked their online catalog for what seems to be a perfect fit to the RX350. My criteria were simple as this:
2 sets of rugged fobs,
2 way RES,
No LCD screen,
LED light confirming the engine started.
No drone mode
Reasonable range - no less than 1000 ft.

I found two of their models online meeting these criteria. The authorized installer confirmed that they are the most reliable devices. They quoted me 60% of what Lexus dealership wanted. I'm still weighing my options.
Compustar uses iDATA link brain. Kijiji has some ads. who can install one than authorized installer. They are moon lighting guys.
Old 10-11-18, 10:22 AM
MichBadger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Viper Model 4115V installed yesterday. $280 complete. I haven't tested the range yet, but for my situation, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm not driving the "new to me" RX yet as I still have some miles left on my lease vehicle before it needs to be turned in soon. So I won't test it much for the next few weeks.

From the Viper fob, I can start and stop the vehicle as well as unlock the doors. The car still shuts off when the door is opened. Not a big deal to me. The shop did offer me a "3x lock button" start from the factory FOB but thought I'd have to take the key out of the Lexus fob to open the door. I wasn't interested in that.
Old 11-10-18, 09:03 AM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspected Reason OEM Remote Start Range Sucks

I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but I'm 99% certain the reason the remote range sucks on these versions of Lexus vehicles is the crappy fob design.
There is NO directional antenna. If you open, say, a Viper remote fob, you'll see what looks like a little spring; that's its antenna, and it's designed I believe, to more or less focus a beam of radiation.
If you open a Lexus fob...there's nothing; just a circuit board.

You've probably seen the vids of people holding a remote to their chin to increase its range. The theory behind that would be the radiation emission is reflected off of dense bone mass. Similarly, you could use a piece of metal behind the fob.

Will it work it you hold your beer can to your chin and place the remote in front of both? Who knows.....but at least you'll have a good story for the police when they cite you for public intoxication.
Old 11-10-18, 09:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts

The key fob remote range on my wife's 2015 RX350 is about the same as on her 2006 Jaguar XK8 and as on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R. All are good within 25 to 30 feet away and that is certainly acceptable to us.

I have found that once the fobs get some age on them (perhaps more than 5 or 6 years old), cleaning their internal circuit boards and battery contacts with alcohol or electrical contact cleaner spray on a Q-Tip can increase their range again. Just be careful and use the selected cleaning liquid sparingly.
Old 11-10-18, 09:36 AM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

Makes sense, contacts corrode over time.
Keeping a good battery in the fob likely helps as well.
Old 11-12-18, 07:02 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote Starter

Originally Posted by py0413
Hi guys,

So I was searching about the remote start feature for our RXs and found that actually Lexus offers such option. I then sent an email to my local dealer asking about the price and availability. They had replied to me saying that such option doesn't exist. I am confused as I have seen other posts about having the factory remote start installed. The guy at the service/parts department refered me to a local shop that can install an after market system for the RX. I did not like that because I simply don't want to carry another remote with me. Plus having someone other than the Lexus technician working on my car can be pretty risky.

My question is does anyone know if an after market can be programmed or combine in just using the factory key fob? I know that viper offers a system that can be programmed and operated by using a smartphone, however, the feedbacks are mostly negative as I ran the research.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Thanks guys.
Yes, stay away from Lexus brand. Have yet to see a good comment on OEM.

My my son now has my RX350 2010 and lives in high rise condo on 16th floor and parks on 4 th floor. No problem at all. Long range outside.

Old 11-12-18, 08:24 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by g5873241
Also, I thought this was interesting, I found it somewhere else on the never-ending CL website:

https://youtu.be/hLBfrL8wxvI
Scroll up the post. I was quoted $900 Canadian ($700 in US) for this including installation in Alberta, Canada.
How much does it cost in your local dealership?
Old 11-12-18, 09:00 AM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

Scroll up the post. I was quoted $900 Canadian ($700 in US) for this including installation in Alberta, Canada.
How much does it cost in your local dealership?
I did see that when I was searching on here, based on that price info I won't even bother with them.

To be honest, if I put one on my 2010, it'd be aftermarket.
I haven't researched it yet to see how the immobilizer bypass functions for this generation of Lexus, that's an unknown to me.

I wonder....how many lexus owners would fork over $100-$200 USD for a "good" long range remote fob? I certainly would've.
Old 11-12-18, 09:28 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by g5873241
I did see that when I was searching on here, based on that price info I won't even bother with them.

To be honest, if I put one on my 2010, it'd be aftermarket.
I haven't researched it yet to see how the immobilizer bypass functions for this generation of Lexus, that's an unknown to me.

I wonder....how many lexus owners would fork over $100-$200 USD for a "good" long range remote fob? I certainly would've.
I've done an extensive search away from the Lexus own fancy remote start. The important thing is, One, is to get away from those installers who would splice up the vehicle electric harness and actually use what is called "T-harness" which costs a few extra bucks but will keep the car electric system intact for future upgrades/remote removal..

Two, is to use a remote starter that can be 100% compatible with the vehicle. In that sense, I found a superior system to Viper and Compustar. I don't know how much it costs as it's only available in the US but you can read more about it here
Old 11-12-18, 10:03 AM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

I've done an extensive search away from the Lexus own fancy remote start. The important thing is, One, is to get away from those installers who would splice up the vehicle electric harness and actually use what is called "T-harness" which costs a few extra bucks but will keep the car electric system intact for future upgrades/remote removal..

Two, is to use a remote starter that can be 100% compatible with the vehicle. In that sense, I found a superior system to Viper and Compustar. I don't know how much it costs as it's only available in the US but you can read more about it here
Looks to be 4150-250 on Ebay/Amazon.

When you say "only available in US, I take it you mean finding an approved installer? The unit itself I'd think you could get, so I'll assume that's what you mean.

The guy at my local BestBuy was willing to install about anything if it had documentation. I used to do quite a bit myself, when I could see better, but I also build computers rather than buy them off the shelf.
Old 11-12-18, 01:10 PM
kind2all
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote starter

do i need to pay for services to get a remote start on my 2013 RX 350
Old 11-12-18, 01:26 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

You have a couple of choices for Remote Starting on the 2010 - 2015 RX's:

Lexus Remote Engine Start (RES) or RES+ are port or dealer installed modules
that use the original factory fob, the "Plus" version has a phone interface also.
RES costs about $500 one time, RES+ is around $1000 and includes 12 months
of the phone app service. Con - factory fob has a lamentably short range - '80

Quite a few aftermarket remote systems that have greater range and lower cost
than the Lexus unit. Con - small additional fob on your key ring to carry. Look for
the "2-Way" feature so your key fob reports that the car is actually running. Nice
when the car is out of sight.

The Lexus Enform Remote Start App did not appear until the 2016 model year.
Con - if you do not enroll (2016 & 2017's are $160/year and 2018 & 2019's are $80/year)
after the first complimentary 12 months both the phone and the fob stop Remote Starting.
Old 11-26-18, 09:37 AM
ZVizeman
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote starter

Hello friends!
Does every Lexus RX350 come with a factory-equipped remote starter or it is an option?
Cheers,
Zack
Old 12-03-18, 06:12 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZVizeman
Hello friends!
Does every Lexus RX350 come with a factory-equipped remote starter or it is an option?
Cheers,
Zack
Definitely an option on the RX350. The OEM remote has very limited range. My son took his 2010 RX350 to the local radio shop and he has unbelievable range. He lives on the 16th level of a high rise and parks on the 5th level and no problem with range. Long range when outside too. You see comments where OEM will not range to the driveway.

sofspra - (London ONt)

Quick Reply: Remote start option