RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DRL LEDs and Decoder

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 02:31 PM
djkidkris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL LEDs and Decoder

This has probably been covered but I haven't found a definitive answer on this...I have a 2011 RX 350 and I recently replaced the halogen DRLs with the 96 SMD 9500 LED bulb from iJDMToy and its looks pretty good but didn't seem as bright as I expected and I assumed maybe it was because I'm staring at it in the middle of the day. I understand that the RX 350's DRLs are dedicated so do I need a decoder? There is no flicker and obviously no dash warnings but will the decoder improve the brightness? Previous posters recommend getting one while others say its not necessary. What is the reason to why I might consider buying a decoder and installing it specifically for the RX 350?

Thanks,
djkidkris
Old 06-30-11, 09:37 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Question led

Anyone know about led taillights for 2012? or any changes at all.Larry
Old 07-05-11, 06:49 PM
djkidkris
Driver

So I ended up ordering the decoder from iJDMToy and gave it a shot. I wanted to share my results. To me on the RX 350 for the DRLs the decoder doesn't make any difference. The headlight on the left is without a decoder and the headlight on the right is with a decoder. To the naked eye I can't tell any difference. Does anyone know if the 28 SMD LED Bulb from V-LEDs supposed to be brighter? Looks like the decoders are going to be shipped back!
Attached Thumbnails DRL LEDs and Decoder-decodertest.jpg  
Old 07-05-11, 09:56 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by djkidkris
So I ended up ordering the decoder from iJDMToy and gave it a shot. I wanted to share my results. To me on the RX 350 for the DRLs the decoder doesn't make any difference. The headlight on the left is without a decoder and the headlight on the right is with a decoder. To the naked eye I can't tell any difference. Does anyone know if the 28 SMD LED Bulb from V-LEDs supposed to be brighter? Looks like the decoders are going to be shipped back!
My V-leds are very bright compared to stock.
Old 07-10-11, 11:31 AM
djkidkris
Driver

UPDATE: I returned the decoders and 96 SMD LED 9005 bulbs and went with the 5000K 28 SMD LED bulb from V-LEDs. I'm super happy with the bulbs, although brighter but not shockingly brighter than the other LED Bulbs. The 6000K bulbs were too blue for my taste and these new bulbs are more pure white. I'll try to post a pic later but i don't think it'll capture how white they are in person.
Old 07-14-11, 07:41 PM
djkidkris
Driver

Here is the pic of the 5000K LEDs with the 5000K Parking lights also. It has a tint of yellow but they look much more white in person. I prefer it over the blue tint that the 6000K lights gave off...Also wanted to thank all the members that posted about their light mods...All the posts have helped a ton!! Next up 4300K HID Fogs and illuminated door sills to catch up with you guys!
Attached Thumbnails DRL LEDs and Decoder-5000kdrls.jpg  
Old 07-15-11, 08:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

djkidkris, looks great. It's amazing how much different the color is with a simple bulb change. I had 6K fogs that did not have a blue hue. I guess it's a matter of which brand bulb you choose. I'm down to 5K now so I'm not the obnoxious person with the 6K fogs anymore They're still pretty bright BTW.

Go with Sewell for the illuminated sills.
Old 07-15-11, 08:43 AM
wcntan80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
djkidkris, looks great. It's amazing how much different the color is with a simple bulb change. I had 6K fogs that did not have a blue hue. I guess it's a matter of which brand bulb you choose. I'm down to 5K now so I'm not the obnoxious person with the 6K fogs anymore They're still pretty bright BTW.

Can we see a picture of that? Is it H11? Thanks.

Wil
Old 07-15-11, 08:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Wil, here is the post I did for the recent 5K change:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hts-again.html

Pictures don't do it justice. They are not that yellow. Link is in there when I did the 6K last year. And yes they are H11.
Old 07-22-11, 02:55 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Anita, they look awesome! How would one access the bulb? I popped up the hood after reading your post and all I see is tide area and darkness like the subway in NYC.

What type bulb do you use for DRL? Thanks.

Last edited by wcntan80; 07-22-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 03:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Wil, I assume you're asking about the DRLs. There's a white round cover for those that needs to be twisted off to access them. The bulb size is 9004. I have Litech superbrights in now. They're cheap, about $15, but I have new bulbs and ballasts coming in next week from Xenon Depot. I hope to have them installed by next weekend.

Forgot to add, many of the bulb sizes are listed in the Specifications section. It's page 649 in my 450h manual.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-22-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 07:37 AM
djkidkris
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Anita,

I just installed 4300K Philips/Xtreme HID Kit in my fogs (Review and Pics to Come)...They are super bright and I love the match! Since the fog housing is reflective I knew that they were going to be bright and the light would scatter. Do yours glare upwards? Have you adjusted the fog lights' aim or is that even possible? They aren't super blinding but I could see them potentially being bothersome to oncoming traffic and I would like to try and adjust them if I could without looking into retrofitting projectors.

~djkidkris
Old 07-25-11, 08:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by The X Men
Are you putting in HID for the DRL? Thats a first, will the HID work at half power?
Nope, they're halogen, 4000K, mirror white. I'll see how they compare to the super brights.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-25-11 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 08:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by djkidkris
Anita,

I just installed 4300K Philips/Xtreme HID Kit in my fogs (Review and Pics to Come)...They are super bright and I love the match! Since the fog housing is reflective I knew that they were going to be bright and the light would scatter. Do yours glare upwards? Have you adjusted the fog lights' aim or is that even possible? They aren't super blinding but I could see them potentially being bothersome to oncoming traffic and I would like to try and adjust them if I could without looking into retrofitting projectors.

~djkidkris
Fantastic. Definitely post some pictures. I ordered the same kit as you but 5K, LOL! Steve at XenonDepot is awesome. The kit is supposed to come in today. The HID fog light beam fills the void from the LED headlights. No adjustments are necessary. I don't think you will have a problem with yours. Even with 6K no one flashed me. Good thing because I would have blinded them with the high beams in return
Old 07-26-11, 10:02 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Steve at XenonDepot is awesome

Let me know what you think of the Xtreme HID kit when you get it :-)

Quick Reply: DRL LEDs and Decoder