RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Daytime Running Lights (LED)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 11:02 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
It should not be a related problem. I wondered how you were doing j0emama. Remember there is a polarity to the LED lights, try reversing the + and - and see if that helps. The de-icer circuit is live as long as the car is running or the second push of the start button without pressing the brake peddle.
Yeah, I tried everything in the book just can't figure out what connector that is (or rig one to fit). I found out which is positive and neg, and verified the lights work by just holding them to the battery. I figured I'll just pay someone to rig something up for me; I gave it the ole' college try.
Old 04-10-12, 06:59 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry that did not work out for you. If you lived closer I could have helped you out. I hope they are able to get it going for you. Don't forget to post pics.

After thought.....on the deicer relay circuit make sure your are on the upper right corner connection spot or per the wiring diagram, position #1.

Last edited by MEP7557; 04-10-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 07:08 AM
RXHybrid08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great on your RX! Does it have a little bluish look when the LEDs are on? I noticed some in the pictures.
Old 08-09-12, 08:22 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

The very last set of LED running lights I did are not as blue as the first 2 sets I tried. They actually compare to the Mercedes DRL's in the lower front bumper as far as color goes. They are pretty much white and I am quite happy with them.

Take a look here and you will see the difference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...?highlight=drl

Last edited by MEP7557; 08-09-12 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 06:25 PM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Just stumbled across this thread. Awesome idea to use the DRL lights and they look excellent! I think I will take on this project with my 2010 RX. Thanks for sharing the photos and diagrams.
Old 08-10-12, 10:21 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they look excellent
you make me want to do them on mine
do you always turn on foglights at night?
Old 08-11-12, 07:59 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I don't run my fog lights at night since the DRL's stay on all the time. That would be too much light. I can however fix it so the DRL's turn off when the headlights come on and then use the fog lights instead.
Old 08-13-12, 07:16 AM
RXHybrid08
Driver School Candidate

The very last set of LED running lights I did are not as blue as the first 2 sets I tried. They actually compare to the Mercedes DRL's in the lower front bumper as far as color goes. They are pretty much white and I am quite happy with them.

Take a look here and you will see the difference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...?highlight=drl
These are exactly what I am looking for...thanks!
Old 10-08-12, 11:41 AM
RXHybrid08
Driver School Candidate

I hope this helps.

I connected to the fuse box in the engine compartment/ drivers side. PDF 1 & 2, layout of the fuse box and the wiring diagram. I connected to the DeIcer relay #1 pin location. I used a crimped on spade connector to plug into the the #1 DeIcer Relay pin. This is a switched circuit so it is 'live' only when the car is on. This circuit is also protected by a 7.5 amp fuse (heater #2). For grounding I hooked directly to the battery. I loosened the nut that holds the grounding cable on, wrapped the wire around the nut and re-secured the nut.

Pic 1 & 2 show the actual connection. It is a black wire so it does not show up that well. I fed the wire up thru the bottom with the other wiring harnesses to keep it neat. The wires were then crimp connected all together, power feed and the wires that feed the DRL LED's. These lights came with cables that connect them to each other but I cut the one off before I realized that so, I had to improvise. One of the lights come with a connector and then 2 wires that come out of the connector to make your electrical connection. The other light would then plug into that connector. There are 3 wires that feed the light from the connector so if you cut off the connector be sure to properly re-wire the lights. The yellow wire needs to be hooked up to the positive wire. I ran the wire over to the other light under the black plastic engine covers along the radiator brace.

Mounting the lights is a matter of your comfort level. I mounted the passenger side with automotive double sided tape. There is a hole already there to fish the wires thru and there is plenty of surface to adhere to. The drivers side is a different story. I have the tow package so there is a lot going on in that area and not a lot to attach to. I did have to cut one of the vertical braces between the fins to get the light to set back enough. For the time being I was able to use double sided tape. I know this will not last and I am working on a permanent solution. I will have to come up with some sort of mounting bracket as these lights do not come with one.

The last picture is with my OEM DRL's converted to LED. Gone is the yellow. I will try to get some pics at night and keep you posted on the mounting. Feel free to ask any questions but I will be out of touch as of Thursday, off to Hawaii.

Later.
Did you need a relay to make the two DRL LEDs (where the high beam also) work?
Old 10-08-12, 05:52 PM
XRUNNER1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXHybrid08
Did you need a relay to make the two DRL LEDs (where the high beam also) work?
I had to use relays, didnt at first they did flicker a little but they worked for a about a week or two and then the drv side burnt out. I added the DRL Relay from V-leds and so far they have worked
(4Months know). With that said one relay failed but V-leds sent me a new one at no charge.
Old 10-08-12, 06:13 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't use a relay for them as I do not use them anymore. They did not noticeably flicker.
Old 06-23-13, 06:42 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My new LED DRL's

I'm considering installing some of these on the RX in the same location as MEP7557. They are easy to install and are super bright. Put them on my SC430 today and they look great.

Photos on my SC430 post -------> HERE

StillLine
Old 06-24-13, 01:20 PM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY MEP

Guess what? I finally got those damn lights installed and working. You were right, in the end it was the mounting that was a Pain in the ***! After much time I figured it out and got them mounting and aligned correctly (lots of super glue).

Had to get a buddy to wire them (spliced wires), but they are finally in and working well. Even made it through some road trips already so the "worrying" of if they'll short out or fall off, is over.

Thanks for the help - I'll post pix soon.
Old 06-24-13, 09:47 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by j0emama
Thanks for the help - I'll post pix soon.
Curious to see your photos. Check out my new DRL's on the SC.

Old 06-25-13, 03:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Definitely post some pictures jOemama. Glad you were able to finally get them installed. StillLine, your SC looks awesome.

Quick Reply: New Daytime Running Lights (LED)