RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Daytime Running Lights (LED)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 07:22 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still using the double sided tape. That stuff held pretty good, they were hard to pull off. The passenger side I am not worried about so much as there is tape running the full length of the lights. Drivers side I will need to come up with a better mounting technique. Now that I know these will be permanent I will work on a better install/ hook up. These did not come with any brackets.

The wiring is also temporary but I am trying to figure out if I want them on all the time or just for DRL's. Right now I took the ends of the wires for the lights and pushed them into the socket of the OEM DRL's and taped them in place. These are brighter however, I do wonder if they are the 3W, no packaging or labels to confirm, they just don't photograph well due to their flashing. I will try and do a direct wire and see if that works better.

I am glad I went to the bigger ones they look much better and more OEM I will post more pics as I continue to refine them.

Thanks All
Old 06-14-11, 01:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

agree with X Men, size wise it looks much better. if i had to pick between the 2 sets, i'd go with the 1st one you had on (even tho size wise it is smaller). the LED frame of the 1st set looks more refined looking (imho). if you are happy with your new 2nd set LED, that's all that matters.

Last edited by Stormforge; 06-14-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 04:04 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
They do look brighter, but I don't think they are 3 watts. I have a LED mag light flashlight which is 3 watt and they are much brighter than those LED you have. Double sided tape is a great temporary solution, but it will not stand up to the weather, especially at the location of your LED. Also, you might want something that is a bit more rigid, so the light doesn't shake when you go over a bump. Have you thought anout using splice connector to run the wire down to the LED? Something like this:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Quick-S...0.a_1.r_IS3012
New developements.....

A couple pictures with the Bright Arizona Sun shining down. Note the silver metallic painted grill.

The wiring that came with these is odd. They have plug and play connectors and on just one of them they had an extender wire of about 3 feet. I now realize that you are supposed to plug the two of them together and then you only have to make one connection, stupid me, not sure if there was the ability to do that as far as routing the wires and the length. At any rate, I discovered that there are three wires to each light a low and a high, so to speak, when I hooked up the 2 positive wires together and powered them, they got brighter, amazing.

I do have those splice connectors and I intend to use them once I am sure what power source I am going to tap in to. Trying to decide if I want them on all the time or not.

I am going to mount the driver's side better the other side is fine, there was a lot more to attach to.
Attached Thumbnails New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-001.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-002.jpg  

Last edited by MEP7557; 06-14-11 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 04:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm on the fence with the LED strips. The same day MEP installed them but before I read this thread, I saw an MB and Audi side by side stopped at a light. I was trying to decide which one looked better. I think Audi has the edge. The LEDs on the new IS are nice too but I'm not sure about the RX. It'll have to grow on me a bit.

MEP, I give you credit for doing it. Maybe you can take a picture at night so we can see how bright they are alone and in combination with the other lights. I see a hint of blue in there. It might just be the picture I guess.
Old 06-14-11, 05:03 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

There is a slight blue cast to these versus the first ones. This is the brighter mode, they are for the DRL's. I will still use the fogs just not all the time like I do now. Pictures of these are hard to take due to the flicker. I think I am going to do a more direct connection to avoid the flicker and perhaps they will be brighter.

I wondered where you were Anita, I think I do like them better built into the headlights but that is not possible without slapping something to the outside of the light, no thanks.

I think for 2012 the RX may get them like the IS. Good thing is they would be plug and play, bad thing is they will be mega $$$$ as you would have to replace the whole headlight.
Old 06-14-11, 05:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

MEP, I've been here I was watching your progress, trying to decide if it might be an option I want to explore. Your LEDs are low and linear, similar to MB. The ones on the Audi and IS are more integrated with the headlights. Adding them to the outside or switching out headlights are not viable options for me either. Who knows, maybe I'll go talk my installer to see what he thinks. He needs to check the driver side ballast anyway. This past winter the salt did a number on the passenger side. I have to take that into consideration too. Your baby only needs to worry about getting sunburn
Old 06-15-11, 01:25 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

OK These are now wired so they are on all the time when the car is running and there is no flicker at all. I will try to post pics at night with them on, with and without my fogs. The first pic is more what they look like in person. For some reason they wash out in the other shot but they really don't look that dim in person. Good for now. 108 today I think I'm done with work under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-001.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-005.jpg  
Old 06-15-11, 01:46 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they look excellent. I am tempted to order the same. Nice job on their install.

So - where is power being drawn from them?

Can I keep the existing DRLs enabled, and these also?

Is their a chance of getting pulled over if these are not approved for public roads etc. i.e. too bright?

Did you use double sided tape to install? A more hardy permanent way would be to screw into the fiberglass/plastic of the bumper using stainless steel screws?

I have the same 2011 RX350 starfire pearl.
Old 06-15-11, 03:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
OK These are now wired so they are on all the time when the car is running and there is no flicker at all. I will try to post pics at night with them on, with and without my fogs. The first pic is more what they look like in person. For some reason they wash out in the other shot but they really don't look that dim in person. Good for now. 108 today I think I'm done with work under the hood.
i love the 2nd pic you posted. looks good!
Old 06-15-11, 05:25 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks beautiful. Wow, if you can make a DIY for it. Much appreciated.
Old 06-16-11, 10:01 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't want to leave you all in the dark, HA HA! I am working on getting diagrams and some additional pictures before I post a DIY. Hang on and give me a couple days.

Thanks
Old 06-18-11, 09:29 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I hope this helps.

I connected to the fuse box in the engine compartment/ drivers side. PDF 1 & 2, layout of the fuse box and the wiring diagram. I connected to the DeIcer relay #1 pin location. I used a crimped on spade connector to plug into the the #1 DeIcer Relay pin. This is a switched circuit so it is 'live' only when the car is on. This circuit is also protected by a 7.5 amp fuse (heater #2). For grounding I hooked directly to the battery. I loosened the nut that holds the grounding cable on, wrapped the wire around the nut and re-secured the nut.

Pic 1 & 2 show the actual connection. It is a black wire so it does not show up that well. I fed the wire up thru the bottom with the other wiring harnesses to keep it neat. The wires were then crimp connected all together, power feed and the wires that feed the DRL LED's. These lights came with cables that connect them to each other but I cut the one off before I realized that so, I had to improvise. One of the lights come with a connector and then 2 wires that come out of the connector to make your electrical connection. The other light would then plug into that connector. There are 3 wires that feed the light from the connector so if you cut off the connector be sure to properly re-wire the lights. The yellow wire needs to be hooked up to the positive wire. I ran the wire over to the other light under the black plastic engine covers along the radiator brace.

Mounting the lights is a matter of your comfort level. I mounted the passenger side with automotive double sided tape. There is a hole already there to fish the wires thru and there is plenty of surface to adhere to. The drivers side is a different story. I have the tow package so there is a lot going on in that area and not a lot to attach to. I did have to cut one of the vertical braces between the fins to get the light to set back enough. For the time being I was able to use double sided tape. I know this will not last and I am working on a permanent solution. I will have to come up with some sort of mounting bracket as these lights do not come with one.

The last picture is with my OEM DRL's converted to LED. Gone is the yellow. I will try to get some pics at night and keep you posted on the mounting. Feel free to ask any questions but I will be out of touch as of Thursday, off to Hawaii.

Later.
Attached Thumbnails New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-001.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-002.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-003.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCF06172011_00001.pdf (160.7 KB, 719 views)
File Type: pdf
CCF06172011_00000.pdf (75.0 KB, 612 views)
Old 06-18-11, 11:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks but I'll leave it to the professionals, MEP I'll be near my installer in a week and a half so I might drop by. It's interesting enough for me to look into and might compliment the linear opening under the grill on the 450h.

Every time I see those headlights I have to laugh. The RX looks cross eyed
Old 06-18-11, 11:45 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^LOL at cross eyed. Looking good though. If it were me, I'd leave it as DRL with the OEM DRL, too much light but it's cool.
Old 06-18-11, 04:49 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tempted to give these a try. They come with brackets and the price is right.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...w8hf_specs.htm

Quick Reply: New Daytime Running Lights (LED)