RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Iphone- Blutooth controls?

Old 05-18-10, 04:49 PM
lexiton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone- Blutooth controls?

I hooked up my i phone through blue-tooth and all I could do was play and pause. Is this all the control I have through blue-tooth? If so I am very disappointed as is everyone else with the i pod integration.
Old 05-21-10, 07:32 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem but with my ipod touch. After some research I found that this is an iphone / apple issue. Apparenetly they have not turned on the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). Therefore you can not use your stereo (or any BT device) to control your ipod.

I gave up on the ipod and now use my blackberry which the stereo has complete control of.
Old 05-21-10, 09:33 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiton
I hooked up my i phone through blue-tooth and all I could do was play and pause. Is this all the control I have through blue-tooth? If so I am very disappointed as is everyone else with the i pod integration.
The iPhone and the iPod are two different devices; the RX only recognizes the iPod.
Old 05-21-10, 10:45 AM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

There are other threads pertaining to this issue.

From what I understand, if you are attempting to play audio from your iPod or iPhone via Bluetooth, then navigation/selection of music must be done through the iPod/iPhone device itself.

The only way to take advantage of the Lexus menu when playing audio through an mp3 player is to use the USB or aux cable.
Old 05-21-10, 10:51 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny
The iPhone and the iPod are two different devices; the RX only recognizes the iPod.
My Rx will play music from iphones and ipod touches with BT. But I have a non- nav maybe that is the key.

Originally Posted by BHart882
There are other threads pertaining to this issue.

From what I understand, if you are attempting to play audio from your iPod or iPhone via Bluetooth, then navigation/selection of music must be done through the iPod/iPhone device itself.

The only way to take advantage of the Lexus menu when playing audio through an mp3 player is to use the USB or aux cable.
The last part is not correct. I can play (pause, start, fwd, rev, see song titles) through bluetooth on my BB. But I'm doing all of this on a non-nav Rx.

Last edited by Sugar3d; 05-21-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-10, 11:14 AM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sugar3d
My Rx will play music from iphones and ipod touches with BT. But I have a non- nav maybe that is the key.

The last part is not correct. I can play (pause, start, fwd, rev, see song titles) through bluetooth on my BB. But I'm doing all of this on a non-nav Rx.
I assumed you could do the most basic navigation (play/pause/fwd/rev) via bluetooth. But I was under the impression that you couldn't do more advanced searches using the Lexus menus. Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer. Are you able to search through all your songs/artists/albums,etc using the Lexus menu?
Old 05-21-10, 12:46 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is not correct.

The RX recognizes the iPod and the iPhone.
Old 05-21-10, 11:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Antonio, are you able to control the iPhone or iPod from the Navi screen with the same results (i.e. full access of playlists, etc...) via USB? Many users here have had problems controlling the iPhone but not it seems iPod users. I should have been clearer in my post. Furthermore, is your RX Navi equipped or not? There seems to be some disparity between the two, with the non-Navi being more forgiving.

Thanks
Old 05-22-10, 06:59 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree fully the Navigation Screen provides limited controls to an iPhone when connected via Bluetooth, namely just play and pause.

However, Apple at some pointed added "Voice Control" to the iPhone software/firmware. Voice Control is accessed by pushing and holding the Home Button. The iPhone make a tone and then you speak a command and the iPhone then performs that command.

Of course you need to know not only the commands, but the names of your playlists, artists for music and contact names for dialing the iPhone.

When connected via Bluetooth and Voice Command is activated, the audio in the car is silenced so the iPhone can "hear" the command. The audio comes back up as the iPhone responds to the command.

Perhaps not really handy, but a feature none the less.

Go here to learn about the commands:

http://atmac.org/iphone-voice-commands-cheat-sheet/

Originally Posted by antonio98
That is not correct.

The RX recognizes the iPod and the iPhone.
I agree with this too. For me, the RX recognizes my 5th Generation iPod, my 1st Generation iPhone and my 2nd generation iPhone.

However they all "underperform" and do not meet my expectations. Scrolling does not work the way I would expect or anticipate. All three of my devices scroll the same way. Hesitate while scrolling and they all play the top song of a short list of 5 songs currently displayed on the screen.

Yes, I know Lexus says they do not support the iPhone and yes I know Vais makes some great technology.

I would still like to see a YouTube video or have someone tell me the model number of an iPod or iPhone that continues to play a previously chosen song while scrolling through a list of songs. I have yet to see evidence of scrolling working the way I think it should. (Although someone mentioned it works with a Blackberry)

For me, music scrolling is painful, time consuming, and requires too much of my attention. Although you can scroll music while driving, which I think you can't do with your phone contacts. At least, thank goodness, when you scroll your contacts it doesn't dial the top one of that list every time!!

Last edited by DunWkg; 05-22-10 at 07:01 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-22-10, 09:57 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sugar3d
With my BB, I have to select the song or playlist on the BB, then I can only pause and play it using Bluetooth. I thought that was the limit, so I abandoned this and went with ipod/USB.

If you really can select and play songs and playlists via Bluetooth, that's encouraging.
Old 05-22-10, 03:16 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I would still like to see a YouTube video or have someone tell me the model number of an iPod or iPhone that continues to play a previously chosen song while scrolling through a list of songs. I have yet to see evidence of scrolling working the way I think it should. (Although someone mentioned it works with a Blackberry)

For me, music scrolling is painful, time consuming, and requires too much of my attention. Although you can scroll music while driving, which I think you can't do with your phone contacts. At least, thank goodness, when you scroll your contacts it doesn't dial the top one of that list every time!!
I'll see what I can do for you on Youtube. My RX in Made in Japan, and the build date is 02/10; I cannot help wonder if the firmware has been updated.
Old 05-24-10, 04:39 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll see what I can do for you on Youtube. My RX in Made in Japan, and the build date is 02/10; I cannot help wonder if the firmware has been updated.
I think you may be right. Mine has a build date of 09/09. Perhaps it's a hardware fix and too costly to retrofit for a non-safety related issue.

Thanks,
Old 05-25-10, 06:13 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Orbit
With my BB, I have to select the song or playlist on the BB, then I can only pause and play it using Bluetooth. I thought that was the limit, so I abandoned this and went with ipod/USB.

If you really can select and play songs and playlists via Bluetooth, that's encouraging.
Hey just to be clear I can't select playlists, or "scroll" through songs etc. Just fwd, bac, pause type functions.
Old 08-20-10, 07:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I'll see what I can do for you on Youtube.
I finally uploaded this video taken in my vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek2gna2VGGk

If anything, this should give you the ammunition you'll need when dealing with Lexus or your dealer...
Old 08-21-10, 04:04 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally uploaded this video taken in my vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek2gna2VGGk

If anything, this should give you the ammunition you'll need when dealing with Lexus or your dealer...
That's pretty amazing and works as it should. I have the Ipod touch and use it the same way but the music does 'NOT' continue to play the same selection as I scroll. Do you have the ML or what?

BTW, I really enjoyed your selections. Nice collection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iphone- Blutooth controls?