RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 06:39 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting

I want to tint the windows of my RX. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what brand of tint to look for or avoid? Obviously I am going to have it professionally installed, I am just looking for a brand that will look good.

I am thinking about going to 10% all the way around, maybe 15%.
Old 04-28-09, 06:58 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know how many % the '10RX originally has now, front and back?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-09, 12:45 PM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

3M is a good brand. It resist discoloration and lasts for a long time.
Some time back they manufactured a type of tint that would darken as the sun heats up. I however can't find one sold online or in my area.

In NJ it is Illegal to have the front windows tinted. I hope it is legal in your state otherwise they will pull you over and ask you to have them removed.
Old 04-30-09, 06:07 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

I do not know how much it has. My guess is 27% or 22%. Just a guess though.
Old 05-02-09, 02:44 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm

Huper Optik Drei tint. Blocks out UV and IR. Live in AZ and it's definitely worth the money.
Old 05-02-09, 07:58 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by snow001
3M is a good brand. It resist discoloration and lasts for a long time.
Some time back they manufactured a type of tint that would darken as the sun heats up. I however can't find one sold online or in my area.

In NJ it is Illegal to have the front windows tinted. I hope it is legal in your state otherwise they will pull you over and ask you to have them removed.
NJ law is wierd. No tint allowed on the fronts, but you can put a limo tint on the rear and back. Makes no sense. In NY, you can put tint on both, as long as it allows 70% of light. To me, this means as long as you do not put limo tint on all windows, you can get away with this.

I had tinted fronts on my 2005 Acura MDX for about 3 years, and I have been commuting from NY to NJ 5 days a week, and I never had a problem. I wonder, if NJ trooper can pull an out-of-state car and request the driver to remove the tint (again, with NJ laws, anything is possible)
Old 05-02-09, 08:51 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by data2009
NJ law is wierd. No tint allowed on the fronts, but you can put a limo tint on the rear and back. Makes no sense. In NY, you can put tint on both, as long as it allows 70% of light. To me, this means as long as you do not put limo tint on all windows, you can get away with this.

I had tinted fronts on my 2005 Acura MDX for about 3 years, and I have been commuting from NY to NJ 5 days a week, and I never had a problem. I wonder, if NJ trooper can pull an out-of-state car and request the driver to remove the tint (again, with NJ laws, anything is possible)
Troopers must carry the portable scanner to detect your tints, otherwise, they cannot open the ticket to you.

NJ troopers should do nothing to you. Even though non-NJ dark-tint car is pulled over by other issues, they cannot ticket for violating NJ law of tinting.

New York Window Tint Law
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.

Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

The back and rear windows "might" not apply to those SUV/VAN or vehicles which have 3rd or 4th back windows. Unfortunately, I can't find this law/regulations now. For example, most of SUV/VAN have the factory-installed privacy windows in the back and rear, which are usually lower than 70%.

However, I do see some states law counts an "SUV" as a passenger vehicle, so the tint laws are applied to "SUV". I don't know how dealers in those states sell their SUV/VAN.

IMO, the best way to do the tinting and worry nothing is to get the permit from your medical doctors and dept. of motor vehicle, who can issue the tinting permit to categories of "patients".
Old 05-03-09, 08:11 AM
data2009
Pole Position

In the end, with about 90% of all minivans and suvs having rear privacy glass as standard equipment, I think it'd take a really PITA policeman or trooper to stop you and issue a ticket (or make you remove the tint), as long as windows remain 'a see through'.

I'd think the major reason these laws exist is to protect the law inforcers from taking needless risks when uproaching the vehicle they pulled over from behind, and not seeing what's happening inside (at the same time, the part where the back window can be any tint makes no sense in this regard).
Old 05-05-09, 01:30 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Great point Data. My IS250 have 20% and I never even got a second look. I think if you look like your not up to something and they can atleast see you, I think the trropers will leave you alone.
Old 05-08-09, 07:47 PM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

We just purchased our Starfire pearl last week. First thing I did was get the front windows tinted.

Washington law is 35% on the front windows. I went with a Madico Charcool 35% and it matches up very nicely from the outside while staying legal.

The interesting part is the solar-green front glass gives the windows an greenish tint on the inside looking out. The wife loves it with the cashmere interior though!

Came out very nicely... Used a high quality, local shop. Could have used 3M material, but it was significantly thinner and just appeared lower quality than the Madico.

Lifetime warranty on everything.

Old 05-08-09, 08:15 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

35%? looks great. The back tint seems 30-35%...

Maybe I should try 35%, too.

Thanks for your info and pic.
Old 05-08-09, 11:12 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Hey Cougs,

Looks great. Love the color choice. Maybe someday Lexus will pull their head out and do Starfire with Black Int. If they did, that is what I would have. Instead I have my second choice, Obsidian Black, and THE HARDEST COLOR to keep looking sharp. I swear I am going to wash the paint off.

As far as tint goes, the 35% does match well. I am really debating to just do matching on front or darken the back and go dark on the front. Yes illegal but my 20% IS never got stopped, not sure this family wagon would.

I'll post pics once I decide.
Old 05-09-09, 05:14 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

If my home state allows window tint on the front windows, but a neighboring state, which I drive in often, does not allow any tint can I be pulled over in the other state?
Old 05-09-09, 07:24 AM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
If my home state allows window tint on the front windows, but a neighboring state, which I drive in often, does not allow any tint can I be pulled over in the other state?
Yes, you can be pulled over and ticketed.

The back windows are a 20%ish tint. We held up a 20% before I went with 35%. Here's my thoughts on the 20

Pro's
-- 20% looks awesome. Hands down the best 'looking' to have a complete match.

Con's
-- It's illegal in Washington. Although you don't typically get messed with, with the budget shortfalls - I can't imagine that they wouldn't start ticketing more to increase revenue and this just opens the door for them to pull me over.

-- 20% is DARK for Washington gray skiies. If I were in Cali, AZ, Florida -- I would seriously consider it - but it was just so dark with our gray skiies.

-- The wife has enough problems backing up (day or night). Could you just imagine her trying to back up and parallel park in downtown Seattle at night when it's so dark she can barely see out the window to begin with (This was the tipping point). Parking sensors AND back up camera aside... cause I've got both ' em!

Con's won. Especially on the 3rd point. It's 'her' car, and I'd get yelled at every time she felt like she couldn't see out the windows.
Old 05-09-09, 07:33 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
Originally Posted by GoCougs
Yes, you can be pulled over and ticketed.

The back windows are a 20%ish tint. We held up a 20% before I went with 35%. Here's my thoughts on the 20

Pro's
-- 20% looks awesome. Hands down the best 'looking' to have a complete match.

Con's
-- It's illegal in Washington. Although you don't typically get messed with, with the budget shortfalls - I can't imagine that they wouldn't start ticketing more to increase revenue and this just opens the door for them to pull me over.

-- 20% is DARK for Washington gray skiies. If I were in Cali, AZ, Florida -- I would seriously consider it - but it was just so dark with our gray skiies.

-- The wife has enough problems backing up (day or night). Could you just imagine her trying to back up and parallel park in downtown Seattle at night when it's so dark she can barely see out the window to begin with (This was the tipping point). Parking sensors AND back up camera aside... cause I've got both ' em!

Con's won. Especially on the 3rd point. It's 'her' car, and I'd get yelled at every time she felt like she couldn't see out the windows.
Each state/area has their own "policies", and they have their own ways to explain/understand their laws/regulations, it's hard to say you will definitely get the ticket. If you travel to other states, usually they shouldn't give you the ticket due to tinting. But, you know, they can give tickets to whoever they want.

I'd suggest to get the permissions from your specialty doctors and dept. of motor vehicles, this is the best way to get no tickets.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting