RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Validating service history? 08 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 07:16 AM
faet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Validating service history? 08 RX350

Looking to buy an 08 RX 350. I've got the carfax and threw the VIN in the lexus website. There are some dependencies between the two. I'm leaning towards believing the lexus website, but was also wondering if there are any easy way for me to verify when I go look at the car (It's a bit of a drive away)

For example:

SERVICE: RED - BRAKE FLUSH
DESCRIPTION: RED - BRAKE FLUSH ~|~BRAKE FLUID FLUSH REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION ~|~. ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES WORK AT THIS TIME

SERVICE: RED - BRAKE SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION: RED - BRAKE SYSTEM ~|~TECHNICIAN FOUND BRAKE SYSTEM NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - SAFETY CONCERN - ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

SERVICE: RED - COOLANT
DESCRIPTION: RED - COOLANT ~|~TECHNICIAN FOUND COOLANT NEEDS REPLACEMENT DUE TO AGE AND CONTAMINATION ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

SERVICE: RED - MOTOR MOUNT
DESCRIPTION: RED - MOTOR MOUNT ~|~MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION MOUNTS REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

SERVICE: RED - POWER STEERING
DESCRIPTION: RED - POWER STEERING ~|~POWER STEERING HYDRAULIC FLUID FLUSH REQUIRED ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

SERVICE: RED - RADIATOR
DESCRIPTION: RED - RADIATOR ~|~RADIATOR UPPER, LOWER, HEATER HOSES REQURES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

All of the above state the customer declined.
Carfax states:

Maintenance inspection completed
Engine mount(s) replaced
Antifreeze/coolant checked
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Brakes checked
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Battery/charging system checked
Brake fluid flushed/changed

The above were all within the last 300 miles. The main thing I'm concerned are the motor mounts. The fluids and hoses are easy enough to replace. Are there any other red flags?

Secondly, about 40k miles ago was this service:

SERVICE: RED - STEERING
DESCRIPTION: RED - STEERING ~|~RACK & PINION/STEERING COMPONENTS REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION ~|~NEEDS RACK AND PINION REPLACED $1985.00 ADD TX AND SHOP SUPPLIES. INCLUDES POWER STEERING FLUSH AND ALIGNMENT ONCE RACK AND PINION IS REPLACED. VERIFIED INTERNAL LEAK FROM SEALS ~|~CUSTOMER DECLINES SERVICE AT THIS TIME

Car fax just says it was "checked".

Maintenance inspection completed
Battery replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Steering/suspension checked

What can I look out for to ensure this was fixed at some point in the past 40k miles?
Old 11-13-17, 08:42 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Believe the Lexus site. For example I would take our RX in to the dealer for an oil change and request a transmission fluid change. I would pick up the car and the repair order would state: oil and filter changed, transmission contains lifetime fluid, does not require service.

The carfax would state:
Automatic transmission serviced
Oil and filter changed

For items like tires I had them replaced at an independent shop that doesn't report to CarFax so even thought they'd would come up as a Lexus concern that I declined, I still had the issue resolved elsewhere.
Old 11-13-17, 10:34 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

I thought that Lexus extended the warranty on the power steering rack to 10 years, like they did for the VVTI and oil cooler lines.