RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

60000 Mile service 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 11:54 AM
FMCoupe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60000 Mile service 2013 RX 350

Hello everyone,

I am nearing the 60K service, and noticed some discrepancies between what was listed by my dealer's sheet (Ray Catena Freehold NJ) and the actual service guide that came with my vehicle. Thus far had service for free given the CPO vehicle, but the dealer charges 503.00 for this service.

A few major things listed on the dealer sheet with discrepancies from the the service guide:
1) Flush and replace coolant (this shows up at 100 K miles in the service guide)
2) Replace thermostat if applicable (this is not anywhere in the service guide)
3) Drain and refill differential fluid (this shows up as something only to do if towing a trailer/heavy loading)
4) Drain and refill transmission fluid if applicable (this again is with heavy loading as above--and may not be actually be done based on the if applicable)
5) Perform 4 wheel laser alignment

Finally in the service guide replacing the brake fluid is mentioned, but not listed in the dealer service.

Any recommendations as to whats actually necessary specifically regarding the coolant/thermostat, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. I know the dealer tends to recommend things early and I am planning to go to an independent mechanic and want to know exactly what I should ask to be done. I am interested in saving money but also want to maintain the car well for years to come obviously. I have read the lexus transmission fluid is lifetime. Thanks!!
Old 01-29-17, 04:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would just follow the Lexus car manual.

If you do tow or run the car HARD, then do all those recommended by your Lexus dealer. I think your Lexus dealer just want to do a wallet biopsy on your wallet!!! LOL.🤑

Originally Posted by FMCoupe
Hello everyone,

I am nearing the 60K service, and noticed some discrepancies between what was listed by my dealer's sheet (Ray Catena Freehold NJ) and the actual service guide that came with my vehicle. Thus far had service for free given the CPO vehicle, but the dealer charges 503.00 for this service.

A few major things listed on the dealer sheet with discrepancies from the the service guide:
1) Flush and replace coolant (this shows up at 100 K miles in the service guide)
2) Replace thermostat if applicable (this is not anywhere in the service guide)
3) Drain and refill differential fluid (this shows up as something only to do if towing a trailer/heavy loading)
4) Drain and refill transmission fluid if applicable (this again is with heavy loading as above--and may not be actually be done based on the if applicable)
5) Perform 4 wheel laser alignment

Finally in the service guide replacing the brake fluid is mentioned, but not listed in the dealer service.

Any recommendations as to whats actually necessary specifically regarding the coolant/thermostat, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. I know the dealer tends to recommend things early and I am planning to go to an independent mechanic and want to know exactly what I should ask to be done. I am interested in saving money but also want to maintain the car well for years to come obviously. I have read the lexus transmission fluid is lifetime. Thanks!!
Old 01-30-17, 05:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

At 60,000 miles the only things needed are a tire rotation, oil change, brake fluid change and cabin and air filters changed. If you request the first three ala carte, it should be $250. The air filters can be bought for $40 and take five minutes to replace. These three can also be performed at a Toyota dealership for about 40% less.

Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
BEARCATJER (03-11-19), brw21 (05-11-20)
Old 01-30-17, 06:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Depending on the cost I would do the transmission fluid change if it was not very expensive. Considering the cost to replace it, if you keep your vehicles well over 100,000 miles, do it now as preventive maintenance. Same with differential and transfer case fluids as they are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. Toyota/Lexus does recommend replacing brake fluid every 2 or 3 years as the fluid absorbs water which can lead to internal corrosion and failure of very expensive brake components. The coolant is good for 10 years-100,000 miles.
If your tire wear is normal and you have no steering issues, skip the alignment unless getting new tires.
Old 01-31-17, 06:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i just had my 30k service done last saturday. and i swear the brakes grab better?
Old 01-31-17, 09:57 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I buy my tires at Tire America (also sister chain called Discount Tires) ever since some years back they fixed a flat tire for me FREE AND ROTATED my tires FREE even at that time I had not bought any tires from them.

So, yes, at Tire America (Discount Tires), you can get your tires rotated FREE. I think they do this as a good gesture/incentive for you to buy your tires there. They will match ANYBODY'S price, including Costco, Sam's Club, or TireRack.com.

BTW, I have no relations to Tire America or Discount Tires nor do I own any. Just a satisfied and happy customer wanting to share my experience.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by Freds430
At 60,000 miles the only things needed are a tire rotation, oil change, brake fluid change and cabin and air filters changed. If you request the first three ala carte, it should be $250. The air filters can be bought for $40 and take five minutes to replace. These three can also be performed at a Toyota dealership for about 40% less.

Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
Old 02-01-17, 01:50 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Ah, maintenance schedules and dealer prices! I found a price estimate from Lexus on line which estimates the prices for the 60k service at $473, which is crazy high....but if you go in asking
for "the 60k service," you might end up paying something like that.

I just write down the required stuff (listed above, oil change, rotate tires, change some filters, retorque some bolts, etc) from your Lexus manual and get it done at the local Toyota dealer, who on average charges me about
40% of the Lexus estimated prices. I always avoid dealers who try to nudge you into the "30k" or "60k" maintenance, and I avoid using those terms.
The following 2 users liked this post by budwom:
BEARCATJER (03-11-19), Lexus4rx (04-12-22)
Old 02-06-17, 08:50 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Depending on the cost I would do the transmission fluid change if it was not very expensive. Considering the cost to replace it, if you keep your vehicles well over 100,000 miles, do it now as preventive maintenance. Same with differential and transfer case fluids as they are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. Toyota/Lexus does recommend replacing brake fluid every 2 or 3 years as the fluid absorbs water which can lead to internal corrosion and failure of very expensive brake components. The coolant is good for 10 years-100,000 miles.
If your tire wear is normal and you have no steering issues, skip the alignment unless getting new tires.
I'm going to second the opinion that tranny fluid drain and fill along with differential fluids. It's worth it and I ran my 01 RX to this day using the same practices.
Old 11-18-19, 03:55 AM
dumbmick58
Driver School Candidate

Per the following Lexus doc, the tranny doesn't need service unless it is used for
heavy towing, loading, etc.

https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_WSG.pdf

In that regard, I would not do the fluid replacement. BUT, in terms of what I would
gain by spending a few hundred dollars over the long run, it's probably a good
idea. (There is an assumption here that the place doing the service is qualified
and experienced and I'm not getting the kid that's in his second semester of
auto school or such).

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-18-19, 12:21 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dumbmick58
Per the following Lexus doc, the tranny doesn't need service unless it is used for
heavy towing, loading, etc.

https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_WSG.pdf

In that regard, I would not do the fluid replacement. BUT, in terms of what I would
gain by spending a few hundred dollars over the long run, it's probably a good
idea. (There is an assumption here that the place doing the service is qualified
and experienced and I'm not getting the kid that's in his second semester of
auto school or such).

Thanks,
Tom
You are correct. The tranny fluid does not need replacement during the "life of the car" according to Lexus. And so,,,,,, what is the "life of the car" to you??? 50K, 100K, or 250K miles like my Gen 1? For the lease and dump strategy, you need not touch the tranny. In fact, don't even bother waxing the paint job. Just wash it and drive it. However, if you are holding onto the car beyond a planned obsolescence like the iPhones, I'd look into replacing these fluids.....

Last edited by MellonC00; 11-19-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-18-19, 02:32 PM
dumbmick58
Driver School Candidate

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-25-19, 04:53 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

I know we've beaten this topic pretty much to death, but what I haven't seen is data related to transmission failure WITHOUT fluid replacement...I just have no idea, I'm not arguing either way.
On my 2006 Volvo I did the (partial) fluid replacement at around 90k miles, now I'm up to 130k without a problem....at what point might I service the Lexus transmission fluid? Probably something similar...not much downside to it,
doesn't cost that much, can't hurt, might well help. But I'd love to see data on when these transmissions actually fail (in now towing situations)...
Old 11-25-19, 07:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

VW used a very similar version of this transmission (TF-60SN which VW calls the 09G) in several models and initially advised that it had lifetime fluid. After getting an alarming number of warranty claims for transmission failures near the end of warranty coverage VW had a change of policy. They sent out a notice to all owners of vehicles with the Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission to have the fluid changed every 40,000 miles. Look it up.
Old 10-14-20, 11:11 AM
kanke
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60k service for 2015 RX 350

My 2015 RX 350 is about 60k. There are a bunch of work according to the service schedule at https://www.driverside.com/service-s...&mileage=60000

I found an old thread posting reading 2013 RX 60k service here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-350-a.html
It seems that lot of inspection items are not really needed.

I can do air and cabin filter myself. Besides those two items, what items from the long list should I ask for instead of ask for "60k service"?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-20, 08:50 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by kanke
My 2015 RX 350 is about 60k. There are a bunch of work according to the service schedule at https://www.driverside.com/service-s...&mileage=60000

I found an old thread posting reading 2013 RX 60k service here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-350-a.html
It seems that lot of inspection items are not really needed.

I can do air and cabin filter myself. Besides those two items, what items from the long list should I ask for instead of ask for "60k service"?

Thanks!
This thread tells us that there is no standard 60k service. Just read up the warranty and service book for the Lexus recommended items for 60K service. [thin booklet]

When you make an appointment or when you drive in the vehicle go over what exactly will be done to your vehicle and you can choose to select and even ask for what you want done. Just make sure the service writer follows up with the tech and not process your vehicle as what that particular dealership understands to be the 60K service items. They can make mistakes. The service writer is required to give you a good faith estimate and you have to sign it to authorize the work. If something is discovered during the service, the service writer is supposed to call and get your authorization (and share additional cost). If at the end you are shocked at the invoice [like OP stated], then you have no reason to be upset at the dealer ... you authorized all the un-needed service items. In a bizarre circumstances, as the owner of the vehicle, you refuse to pay (after agreeing to pay at drop off time), the shop can pull a mechanic's lean on your vehicle.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
kanke (10-16-20)