RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Programming Instructions for 1010keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 02:09 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Programming Instructions for 1010keys

Hi All,

I recently ordered a spare key for my wife's RX400h from 1010keys on ebay. The guy who runs/owns 1010keys it is kind of an ***, and refuses to send me the programming instructions. It's a long story, but suffice to say the guy is paranoid and incredibly rude.

I have their "programming module" which is small device that plugs into the OBDII port to allow the programming of the spare key.

I know 1010keys is one of the more popular purveyor of spares out there, so I thought I'd see if anyone out there happens to have the instructions for this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-17, 11:58 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Here is a link to a post by another user who had some kind of programming device. He posted a photo of it with the instructions. Maybe it is the same as yours.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2...-question.html

Click on the thumbnail and then click on the magnifying glass to enlarge it even more.
Old 09-25-17, 07:04 AM
TACLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cannot just "Program" the key without the correct computer software to talk to the car. It took me 3 weeks of educating myself to get a spare key programmed and functioning. Order a cable to plug into the car, OBD to USB, then the driver for that cable to talk to your laptop. Sounds like you might have the cable.
Techstream, you have heard that name mentioned here in the past i am sure. it took me a few tries to find a version that would work and see the key programming portion of the software. I will not tell you how to get Techstream as it is a $6000 computer program and a pirated version would be illegal. BUT if one were to pay for a version of Techstream (or somehow be given a version) and one were to have it work and talk to the computer then and only then can you program a key. There are 2 parts to programming a key, the transponder and the door lock function, both are different portions of the software. I will tell you that i have about 4 non-oem transponders that were listed to function with the 400h but did not. All those transponders are now sitting in the parts bin to be used on other toyotas and useless to me. HYQ12BBT is the OEM Denso transponder that will work with the new key you had cut. A used one from ebay will work. All in I believe i spent about $150 or more to get a spare key, which from what i have read is cheaper than the dealer. I now have a functioning techstream setup which will allow me to service the brakes and the cvt transmission as well as program the keys. I work on all of my own vehicles and taking a car to the dealer for a $350 key was not something i wanted to stomach. I did get my version of techstream to work on an older XP machine as i did not have a windows 7 or 8 machine at home.
I am not sure what you purchased as a "programming module" but Techstream works for keys and many other functions. One of my best friends took his to a locksmith but paid about $80 to have his programmed. I do not recall if that was him providing a transponder key or not.
The 1010keys was providing just that, a KEY.. for a really decent price. It saved me from trying to locate someone that could cut a laser key which was worth the $20 or whatever to have one mailed to my house. I don't recall if any of the cut keys on ebay come with the transponder or not.
If i were to do this again, after learning my mistake of trying an aftermarket transponder, here's the short list..
cut key ($20-30)
Used or New OEM transponder HYQ12BBT ($30-40)
OBDII to USB cable and driver ($30-40)
Techstream (Possibly $6000)
Older laptop (free)
Learning (priceless)

OR goto the dealer, purchase new key and transponder for the Lexus 400h PN 89070-48821 ($140-$200+ depending on dealer)
Pay them an hour to program and cut it ($100+)

I chose the hard route, teaching myself and solving my own problem. I also wanted access to the other computer modules in the vehicle.

Last edited by TACLexus; 09-25-17 at 07:08 AM. Reason: was not finished.
Old 09-25-17, 01:01 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Depending on the year of your RX. And the kind of key you are trying to program. If you are programming a Transponder key (spare key without the remote door lock-unlock), it may be simple. What do you want to program?
Old 09-25-17, 01:09 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have used these successfully, good luck to you:

Key Programming

1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speech -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- probably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end the
programing mode.
Old 10-12-17, 03:57 PM
djgrubber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have used these successfully, good luck to you:

Key Programming

1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speech -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- probably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end the
programing mode.
This is very clear and helpful. I have only one question would it work with the VALET KEY ? Unfortunately, I do not have any Master Keys for my Lexus RX300 (2005 model) ;-(
Old 10-12-17, 03:59 PM
djgrubber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACLexus
you cannot just "Program" the key without the correct computer software to talk to the car. It took me 3 weeks of educating myself to get a spare key programmed and functioning. Order a cable to plug into the car, OBD to USB, then the driver for that cable to talk to your laptop. Sounds like you might have the cable.
Techstream, you have heard that name mentioned here in the past i am sure. it took me a few tries to find a version that would work and see the key programming portion of the software. I will not tell you how to get Techstream as it is a $6000 computer program and a pirated version would be illegal. BUT if one were to pay for a version of Techstream (or somehow be given a version) and one were to have it work and talk to the computer then and only then can you program a key. There are 2 parts to programming a key, the transponder and the door lock function, both are different portions of the software. I will tell you that i have about 4 non-oem transponders that were listed to function with the 400h but did not. All those transponders are now sitting in the parts bin to be used on other toyotas and useless to me. HYQ12BBT is the OEM Denso transponder that will work with the new key you had cut. A used one from ebay will work. All in I believe i spent about $150 or more to get a spare key, which from what i have read is cheaper than the dealer. I now have a functioning techstream setup which will allow me to service the brakes and the cvt transmission as well as program the keys. I work on all of my own vehicles and taking a car to the dealer for a $350 key was not something i wanted to stomach. I did get my version of techstream to work on an older XP machine as i did not have a windows 7 or 8 machine at home.
I am not sure what you purchased as a "programming module" but Techstream works for keys and many other functions. One of my best friends took his to a locksmith but paid about $80 to have his programmed. I do not recall if that was him providing a transponder key or not.
The 1010keys was providing just that, a KEY.. for a really decent price. It saved me from trying to locate someone that could cut a laser key which was worth the $20 or whatever to have one mailed to my house. I don't recall if any of the cut keys on ebay come with the transponder or not.
If i were to do this again, after learning my mistake of trying an aftermarket transponder, here's the short list..
cut key ($20-30)
Used or New OEM transponder HYQ12BBT ($30-40)
OBDII to USB cable and driver ($30-40)
Techstream (Possibly $6000)
Older laptop (free)
Learning (priceless)

OR goto the dealer, purchase new key and transponder for the Lexus 400h PN 89070-48821 ($140-$200+ depending on dealer)
Pay them an hour to program and cut it ($100+)

I chose the hard route, teaching myself and solving my own problem. I also wanted access to the other computer modules in the vehicle.
Could you please clarify which version of TechStream were you using? Would it work on a laptop with Windows 7 or Windows 8 or do I need the good old XP ?
When it comes to the transponder, can it be from a used keyed? Lexus in the UK told that once a key is used and coded to a car , it can't be linked to any other car.
Would this method work with VALET Key only? (I do not have any master keys :-(( )