LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Locksmith cant program new key

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 07:24 PM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locksmith cant program new key

I recently bought a car with only one key. Knowing that I needed a spare, I bought a few precut keys with a shell off ebay for $20. Then I bought a couple of uncut keys with transponders for $30. Now my daughter lost the only programmed key and she is 3 hours away from home in Tallahassee, FL. Luckily, I have these spare keys in the car. I call a locksmith to program the transponder. He moves the transponder to the cut key with the shell. Then he erases all previous keys with techstream and tries to program the immobilizer and he says its not doing anything like it is the wrong transponder. I dont know and I am three hours away. Couldnt find a dealer in the area.A Any suggestions? 2002 LS430
Old 01-11-17, 08:43 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 30.00 keys with transponders would be the part i would point to. For that price its probably chinese junk that wont program. Do you have a link to what you bought?
Old 01-12-17, 06:13 AM
hippchip
Driver

That is what I was figuring as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/201619799708?ul_noapp=true I messaged seller and this is his response

Thank you for reaching out to us. This part is compatible with a 2002 Lexus LS430. But to ensure that the remote matches what your vehicle requires, can you provide the FCC ID / GM Part # of the original remote please?

Since I lost the original key I have no idea.

Originally Posted by bmore430
The 30.00 keys with transponders would be the part i would point to. For that price its probably chinese junk that wont program. Do you have a link to what you bought?
Old 01-12-17, 07:24 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

2001 - 03 LS you could program your own keys ... no Techstream needed. The programming instructions are available with an online search.
Old 01-12-17, 08:04 AM
hippchip
Driver

Can you program your key if you don't have a master key? The problem is my daughter lost the only key.

Originally Posted by Tom57
2001 - 03 LS you could program your own keys ... no Techstream needed. The programming instructions are available with an online search.
Old 01-12-17, 09:03 AM
hippchip
Driver

Locksmith calls me today and says he thinks his techstream cant program my transponder. He says he has an Advance Diagnostics NVP Pro that he thinks might be able to. If so I wont have to buy his key. I will let you guys know later tonight.
Old 01-16-17, 01:39 AM
robish4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My locksmith was able to program everything, except the trunk. I wish I could get that working, too.
Old 01-16-17, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Are locksmiths who work on cars, the same that work on houses? When I moved into our house, I paid a locksmith to rekey 3 locks, and they charged like $180. When we lost the key years later attached to a grocery store keytag, we went to a BBQ and the big question was, should I rekey the house again? More than half said no, but some said yes, you lost the key, you don't know who found it. My thing was the keytag was attached, someone could stroll over to the supermarket and say, "Hey, what address do you have? I want to make sure it's up to date." Then, the web, said you have to think like a criminal when this happens, so that means, replace the locks.

I saw a kit costing like $6 on amazon. Wouldn't you know, that no home center store sells it, nor does any locksmith? Now I realized why they hide out in the van while they're doing it. They don't want you to see how simple it is, to do yourself. They'd be shuttering their business doors....there are still some things that the "pros" make it hard to DIY, by hiding the knowledge, resources, and tools....

this is what I got for $5.99 (holy inflation), but the locksmith is going to go all out and get a $19 kit that covers all locks. Locks are really a myth anyway, there are only a possible 1024 different keys anyway, it's easier to simply just break the door off of the hinges like we see on Law and Order....

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Pr...keywords=rekey
Old 03-06-18, 12:55 AM
darren1
Driver School Candidate

Getting the keys lost is a common problem.So one should always choose to get any kind of assistance from the nearby locksmith.This could help us in many ways and also we could contact them easily if we encounter any kind of problem and reach to them as well.
Old 03-07-18, 11:14 AM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if this applies to the LS430, but I know with the LX470 and Land Cruiser the common way to program a key requires an existing master key. You can only copy an existing master - you cannot create a new one from scratch. Linking a brand new key to an existing car without a master is either very difficult (and unpublished) or impossible.

The official solution from Toyota/Lexus for the LX470/Land Cruiser appears to be to install a brand new OEM-matched key and ECU set.

I try to mention to everyone that I can, if you don't already have two master keys, get one ASAP - even if it's a cheap $30 Amazon remote. It's easy to copy one... it's very difficult to track down someone who can program from scratch.

Replace your broken key for the LAST TIME. No cutting. No programming. Indestructible Grade 5 Titanium. Made in the USA.

YotaMD Titanium Reinforced Key Shell for Lexus

Bulk discounting Available.
Fits many Lexus models with 3-button remote keys.
Professionally designed, engineered and fabricated in the USA.
Old 05-10-19, 09:25 AM
SamBillin
Driver School Candidate

This thing applies for all and almost all locksmith can program that key.
Old 05-10-19, 10:18 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i bought my LS without a key.
i went and bought a brand new key from the stealership and had the locksmith cut me a new key,
he could only program it to where it would only turn the ignition cylinder but wouldn't do anything else
i bought a $700+ scanner from Amazon and had to erase all keys that were programmed to the car and re-program my new key as a master key and it now works like it should
Old 07-08-19, 08:56 AM
EasonApol
Driver School Candidate

I also bought it without the key but with the help of suffolk county locksmith, i got one key.
Old 07-08-19, 12:43 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Dealership will provide you a brand new ECU free of chrage and install it , all all you Gotta do is pay for the keys
Old 07-08-19, 01:07 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
Dealership will provide you a brand new ECU free of chrage and install it , all all you Gotta do is pay for the keys
which dealership is that? and which ECU are you talking about?
i sure do want to know as i have a guy that needs his keys programmed and his ECU isn't communicating with other ECU...

Quick Reply: Locksmith cant program new key