RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Side mirrors not adjusting on hot day

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 07:33 PM
juliemannj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirrors not adjusting on hot day

Got car back from inspection with driver mirror folded in. I popped it back out and tried to adjust, but it would only move up and down a little, and wouldn't move side-to-side at all. I then checked the passenger mirror, which hadn't been touched, and it didn't adjust at all (though it clicked once each time I pressed). When backing up, the driver mirror dropped to the curb position properly, but the passenger mirror didn't budge. Both mirrors had worked well previously and stopped working at the same time.

It seemed unlikely that the motors would give out at the same time, so I first wondered if it could be the switch, but the click seems to indicate that the mirror is getting a signal. So back to things affecting the actual mirrors...

In reading several posts, I came across one poster who seemed to be saying that he had this problem only on hot days, but not on cool days. My problem started (or at least I became aware of it) on the 1st over-90-degree day of the season, so that got my attention. This evening, after the outside temp dropped to the mid-80s, I tried again. This time things were somewhat better, but inconsistent. The driver side mirror moved up and down quite well, but side-to-side just intermittently. The passenger mirror moved slowly in all directions at first, but then stopped working again. I tried again when the temp dipped to 77 - left moved okay in all directions, right moved side-to-side, but not up and down. So it definitely seems to be affected by the outside temperature. I've had the car since March of 2015, and did not run into this problem last summer.

I'm wondering what this all means. Might something be gunking up from the heat, or are parts swelling or warping? I'm thinking of trying the fix posted by LS400_96 on 6/28/15 - if it's the same for an LX - though I truly am scared of breaking something. Or is it possible that it's somehow due to it being the FIRST hot day of the season? Might it adjust to summer if I just leave it alone?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks!
Old 05-28-16, 07:39 PM
juliemannj
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention, post was for a 2005 RX330 AWD.

Last edited by juliemannj; 05-28-16 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 05:48 PM
psycle01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I can tell from viewing the mirror parts on ebay and such, the same should apply for our mirrors. I just bought a 2004 RX330 and my driver's mirror is intermittent in going left to right (not that it's a big deal really compared to up and down).
Old 08-07-16, 06:57 AM
steamboat
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem on my RX330. I cannot find any videos on getting to the switch. I am hoping that cleaning the contacts or replacing the switch is the answer. It's consistent on both sides.

I want to remove the switch. Does anyone have a video or help for the driver side kick panel removal? I think that has to come off to get to the switch, which is in a sliding-door case on the left side of the steering wheel.

Last edited by steamboat; 08-07-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 09:26 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try manually but gently pushing the mirrors where they should be, that is, if the control puts the mirror fully to the outside, push the mirror to the outside until you can't push any further. Then try the control again. In my experience, sometimes the mirror is out of sync with the control. Happens when you bump, clean it, etc.
Old 08-17-16, 10:03 AM
steamboat
Driver School Candidate

Default Not mechanical.

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Try manually but gently pushing the mirrors where they should be, that is, if the control puts the mirror fully to the outside, push the mirror to the outside until you can't push any further. Then try the control again. In my experience, sometimes the mirror is out of sync with the control. Happens when you bump, clean it, etc.
This is certainly a switch related electronic issue. It only happens when the car is in hot weather, and it happens on both sides exactly the same. I'm guessing that the plastic housing is expanding and i need to replace the switch or clean the contacts really well.

But first I have to get the switch out. Left side kick panel. Any help with that?
Old 08-29-18, 12:56 PM
lymlyt
Driver School Candidate

Were you able to solve the side mirror not adjusting on hot day? If so, what was the fix? I have a similar problem with my 2005 lx470. thanks!
Old 08-29-18, 01:13 PM
steamboat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lymlyt
Were you able to solve the side mirror not adjusting on hot day? If so, what was the fix? I have a similar problem with my 2005 lx470. thanks!
No. We almost never drive the car during the summer. It just hasn't come up in awhile. My wife drives it most of the time, so it hasn't had to be adjusted. I still think it's a thermal expansion thing that opens the contact. But I am not a car guy, just versed in material science and troubleshooting.
Old 08-30-18, 07:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2004 side mirrors both failed to move after a few years. Not a big deal as I was usually the only driver but replacement is cheap and easy.

Lexus RX330 side Mirror Replacement (2004-2009):
If you choose to replace the whole mirror assembly:
. A bit more complicated but not all that difficult.

The 2004-2009 Lexus was an extremely popular vehicle and there are parts galore in salvage yards or you can find new mirror assemblies on eBay.