RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rack and pinion help :(

Old 02-22-18, 09:21 AM
Daleda
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the passenger side boot about a month ago. It was torn and in bad shape. I popped the tie rod end and covered shaft with plastic bag, put copious amount of red grease all over it, and slipped new boot over greased shaft, and after much “Italian” cursing finally got it over the tie rod bushing and slipped on with two heavy duty tie downs and done. This way no alignment issues. My PS reservoir stays full with no leaks detected. 123,000 miles on 2007 RX 350. The drivers side boot looks great with no grease or tearing.
Old 03-24-18, 02:41 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone. Think I have a similar problem. Brought the car in for an oil change at a Toyota dealer and they said I need to replace my steering rack and that a “metal” piece was showing. I’m assuming he means a boot has torn. I haven’t had a chance to look underneath it yet but plan to tomorrow when it isn’t raining.

A couple of questions.
1. I don’t recall seeing any leaks on the garage. If it were leaking, what color would the fluid be?
2. I admittedly haven’t checked the power steering fluid but if it were low, would a light on the dash come on?
3. Not sure I have the funds to fix it right now since it looks like it will be more than $1k to fix it. Is it still safe to drive? Or do I need to park it until I can get it fixed?

Thanks
Old 03-24-18, 02:53 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

A couple of questions.

1. I don’t recall seeing any leaks on the garage. If it were leaking, what color would the fluid be?
**Ours never leaked onto the garage floor; however, when you looked up on the underside (passenger side), the boot was pretty messy.

2. I admittedly haven’t checked the power steering fluid but if it were low, would a light on the dash come on?
**The reservoir in ours was nearly empty and no light came on.

3. Not sure I have the funds to fix it right now since it looks like it will be more than $1k to fix it. Is it still safe to drive? Or do I need to park it until I can get it fixed?
**We drove ours for more than 100k with it seeping. Not sure how bad yours is, but make sure to keep the power steering fluid topped off.

Old 05-03-18, 07:52 AM
ne0tekk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FloorJack
I came to the conclusion that in my case (and I wouldn't be surprised if others are caused by this too) the torn boot was probably caused by vibration from a warped rotor and the aluminum shield right next to the boot rubbing together.

(In my second pic you can see the shield I'm talking about ~ it has a black a wire tie on it)

I actually added a second wire tie to it closer to the bottom to prevent this from happening again. (Sorry no pic)

If you own an RX I suggest doing this as form of preventative maintenance.

Luckily I caught it before any damage (besides the boot tearing) occurred. In the pic you can actually see the shavings below the boot.
On a side note: If you rack has grease everywhere chances are you will eventually have to swap it. $1-2k ballpark sounds about right unless you have a hook up on parts and can do the work (not an EZ job)...
Don't mean to hijack this old thread but wondering if you could take a picture of the fix for us. I just discovered my passenger side boot was leaking and when I checked my power steering levels, it may have been leaking for awhile. I too had warped rotors which weren't serviced for awhile admittedly as it only happened at speeds over 70mph. After seeing the amount of labor required to replace the rack and pinion, I'm going to remove the old boot, clean up all the old grease and debris, regrease, and put a new boot over it for the time being. I know that this won't be a permanent fix but it should hold me over till I have enough funds to bring it to a shop if I decide not to take on the task. I'll also put in some lucas stop leak as others have recommended.

As the lower control arm bushings appear to be cracked, would it be wise to also change out that bushing and ball joint too with everything apart?