RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 RX350 Wintertire replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 03:12 AM
JayCand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 RX350 Wintertire replacement.

Hello Everybody,
First post here...

I bought a certified 2009 Lexus RX 350 with Navigation. Vehicle drives amazing, I love spending time driving up this one.

Im in Canada here where it gets cold in winter, planning to shop around for winter tires + rims. Got a good deal for 17 inch wheels with Aluminum rims for #1125+Tax.

The tire guys would charge another $100 to remove TPMS from existing wheel and put it in the new wheels+tires. If I bring new TPMS sensors (assuming I buy from Lexus dealer), he would install this for free ?

Question ?

1. Once he has installed it, do I need to take the vehicle to the dealer to do any sort of program or that is it.. ( couldn't ask lot of questions as the place was crazy busy).

2. Shall I just install tires + rims from the tire shop, have no TPMS but take it to the dealer, buy and install TPMS and go on .

3. Other option is, not to buy TPMS this year and wait for next year.. (if extra cost is about $250, I wouldn't mind).

Please share your thoughts...
By now I've figured out from the forum that TPMS warning could be reset by pressing the button after inflating tires properly.
Old 11-10-12, 10:01 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should use new TPMS sendor for your new winter tires if you really want to use. Many people just leave it alone and check the tire every morning before you drive. However this is up to you.

Buying TPMS sensor from deal is very expensive, Those sensors are sold in eBay and you can buy a set of four for RX350 for about $60 to $70.

Here is answer to your questios.

1) Each TPMS sensor has a unique ID. The car computer needs to be programmed to know these new IDs. If you use the same sensor in your summer tires, you don't need to do anything. If you buy new sensors, you need to enter those IDs into the computer.

RX350 computer can learn two sets of TPMS sensors. THere is a button under the glove box which you can set to use either set. If is set to group 1 when the truck is shipped. If you use new sensors, set it to group 2 and program those new IDs.

2) No, the TMPS is installed inside tire. It is connected to the port you put air into the tire. If you install the tire from the tire shop and go to the deal for TPMS< you will have to spend double the money because the deal needs to take the tire apart from the rims and install the sensor.

3) That is alwasy an option - driving without the TPMS sensor as long as you are such kind of person who doesn't care the yellow light on in your front when you are driving and as long as you periodically check the tire pressure which is actually not timing consuming at all.

There is a tool which you can use to program the new sensor IDs into the computer. It is called ATEQ Quickset and is sold as $150. MOst asian car can use this tool for programming the TPMS sensor. This is a very good DIY tool.

HOpe this helps and let me know if you have any further question.
Old 11-10-12, 12:34 PM
JayCand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it.. thanks much appreciated.

Originally Posted by dcdyd
You should use new TPMS sendor for your new winter tires if you really want to use. Many people just leave it alone and check the tire every morning before you drive. However this is up to you.

Buying TPMS sensor from deal is very expensive, Those sensors are sold in eBay and you can buy a set of four for RX350 for about $60 to $70.

Here is answer to your questios.

1) Each TPMS sensor has a unique ID. The car computer needs to be programmed to know these new IDs. If you use the same sensor in your summer tires, you don't need to do anything. If you buy new sensors, you need to enter those IDs into the computer.

RX350 computer can learn two sets of TPMS sensors. THere is a button under the glove box which you can set to use either set. If is set to group 1 when the truck is shipped. If you use new sensors, set it to group 2 and program those new IDs.

2) No, the TMPS is installed inside tire. It is connected to the port you put air into the tire. If you install the tire from the tire shop and go to the deal for TPMS< you will have to spend double the money because the deal needs to take the tire apart from the rims and install the sensor.

3) That is alwasy an option - driving without the TPMS sensor as long as you are such kind of person who doesn't care the yellow light on in your front when you are driving and as long as you periodically check the tire pressure which is actually not timing consuming at all.

There is a tool which you can use to program the new sensor IDs into the computer. It is called ATEQ Quickset and is sold as $150. MOst asian car can use this tool for programming the TPMS sensor. This is a very good DIY tool.

HOpe this helps and let me know if you have any further question.